Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Smell; Organic, yet rocky -n- striking
    #3106619 - 09/08/04 02:25 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

So I have my little terrarium going and I've got a couple of poo casings in there cased with a thin layer of verm.  This is the first time on poo (sorry, I love using the word "poo" in a serious manner, especially with funny prepositions like that), and I'm noticing this very distinct odor that's sort of like a mix of organic/vermiculite/*very* little fungus/sharpish smell....wtf? 
        The fruits look beautiful, really.  And there's pinning like crazy.  Much better than my failed casing experiment  of rye pints.  So, things are beginning to look like pics I see in the archives, but there's this weird smell.  I know what the mushroom smell is like; I broke up a couple of contamed casings and tossed them outside and their mycellium, once broken up, produced that clear "mushroom" odor.  So, anyone encountered this sort of smell with a poo/verm/straw mix?  'K.  Thanx.  Peace in the middle east. :hippie:

GB

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Smell; Organic, yet rocky -n- striking [Re: GnuBobo]
    #3106660 - 09/08/04 02:36 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

GnuBobo said:
that's sort of like a mix of organic/vermiculite/*very* little fungus/sharpish smell....wtf?

Organic = good.

Chemical/harsh = bad.

I don't know what you mean by "sharpish", but there shouldn't be anything pungent. When it is bad, you will know. I think you may be paranoid. If they are growing good, everything is good... :grin:

--------------------
To give is to live...

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Re: Smell; Organic, yet rocky -n- striking [Re: ATWAR]
    #3106693 - 09/08/04 02:48 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

No, I don't mean there's funk.  There's a pungent smell that's sort of like a cross between what cooled "wet" vermiculite might smell like right after microwaving it for sterilization and earthniness. 
    Well, I was just posting to see if anyone else experienced this.  I'm pretty sure things are going well; this is just my first larger casing attempt with poo.  I'm learning as I go.  Cheersums ATWAR!    :cheers: :mrt:

GB

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation