Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Incense, Salvia, Syrian Rue

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Harmala Discussion.
    #3106201 - 09/08/04 12:43 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Sooo.. somehow the topic of Harmala came up in the shroomery news service.. and once again, i just wanted to share the conversation with you guys.. I'll just go ahead and paste where we left off.. Some of it is a bit outlandish crazy non-sense.. but I like to brain storm and think of the possibilities of this plant..

I recall shulgins announcement that harmala alkaloids where active ala UV. I hear liquid extracts are fun as fuck to play with under black light.. Not to mention the fact that they look really trippy, they ARE really trippy. Profesional Yogi's are known to naturally have higher amounts of Harmala alkaloids synthesized indogenously in their pineal glands.. I bet their Aura is very UV active :wink:

Harmala extract is also a Dye. They used it to dye Carpets.... Think about it.. Psychedelic Carpets.. died with psychedelic dye.. The Flying Carpet ride.. Some scholars believe that this is where that myth originated.. the workers using dyes made from Esphand would have mystical and hallucinogenic experiences while producing the Rugs/Carpets and this is how this idea was birthed... Its very easy and extremely cheap to create large amounts of diluted, liquid harmala extract. It would be nice to paint a room, do art, or even paint your body in this psychoactive glowing liquid.. Maybe you could add some DMSO and have painting parties in a rave like setting..  the harmala would transdermally be obsorbed into your blood stream and you would be glowing.. massive group meditation alien glowing rave...

*** I would just like to note that using DMSO and this extract would probably be a very bad idea. I really dont recommend it...

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Harmala Discussion. [Re: Aneglakya]
    #3106571 - 09/08/04 02:09 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

:cheers: :handth:  that o sawsome.  damn i forgot wghat i was gonna ask.  but that is awsome shyte!

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #3106647 - 09/08/04 02:33 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Do you have any information on how to use harmala to dye fabric?

Can you dye vegetable fiber, or just animal fiber? Most natural dyes only work on hair/wool, and leather.

--------------------

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Harmala Discussion. [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #3107108 - 09/08/04 05:48 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

no I dont as of now. I recall starting a big list of natural dyes for one of my essays on natural resources close to home... There are some cool dye plants out there. Even psychoactive ones , that would be cool to work with. I've worked with salvia extract that was so extremely pure it was a thick syrup and nothing else, anyways this material stained everything a very dark beautiful green color. This extract was obtained withOUT the use of solvent.. but i wont get into this here.

I may be confused but I recall something from my bio-chemistry technology courses about using natural dyes. I thought that there was suppost to be some sort of "Fixative" or something.. to help the dye actually bind to the material.. Sort of like a layer of clear fingernail polish over painted nails (err. i mean clear coating of paint on your BBQ grill... heh, didn't want to sound too girly)..

Regardless this is worthy of research and experimentation. I bet there is some stray PDF file somewhere on the web , that probably needs translated into english, that talks about using these natural dyes and others... just a hunch.

I would love some sort of textile painted entirely with entheogens/pschotropics.

From the Lycaeum: The seeds yield a dye (?turkish red? or ?syrian red?) long used in ?Persian? carpets.

Oh they where also used to make incense.. What I love to do is to take about one kilogram of seeds, powder and do the acetic acid , boil down method.. I usually end up with 10x =ing 100 grams of "incense" resulting.. Now I take this material when it still has a gelatinous viscocity and I pour it into these square moulds that I get from hobby lobby. The molds are first coated in something like crisco so its easy to get the blocks out. I stick them in the freezer to assist in their congealation. Once they are completely solidified I take the incense square out and I then I take some very VERY finely powdered rue seeds and I coat the entire outside very lightly with it. This way its easy to handle and it doesn't turn your hand colors when you touch it. This is my absolute favorite method of doing this. Ive talked with several people who love the extract and actually take it as a daily tonic. I enjoy taking small eye balled doses equaling about 300mg (no more) and just swallowing them like a pill or even smoking it. It produces a deep psychedelic meditative state. I call it my Psychedelic Valium.

I would very much like to be able to sort of Press Pure Oil from the seeds. I do not have this capability though. I wonder what the yeild liquid oil/dry kilo would be... Does anyone know how one would go about doing this or aquiring the proper facilities?

Here is a crummy picture of my extract blocks. These things are so fun to have and easy to carry around. Its nice to carry them in the mould I make them in ..
please keep in mind that these are the first ones I made so they are not as visually appealing and aesthetic as how I make them now. I like to take time to make the surface area very smooth looking. Its good to take pride in your products.

--------------------

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

How To Make Peganum Harmala Dye TEK!!! [Re: Aneglakya]
    #3107109 - 09/08/04 05:49 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

haha I found this information at Maya's site!!!

http://www.maya-ethnobotanicals.com/product_info.phtml/herbid_042/category_visionary

--------------------------------------------

Use/Preparation
Dye stuff: Syrian Rue - seeds. Quantity used: 25 gm

Method:
1. The seeds were soaked overnight, brought to the boil and boiled for three
quarters of an hour. The bath was drained, the yarn entered, brought back to the boil and simmered for half an hour.
2. Copper was added, yarn re-entered and left without heat for 25 minutes.
3. A skein from the initial dyeing was dipped in an indigo vat

Colours achieved: (from left to right) 1. Very pale, almost primrose yellow; 2. A very slightly darker version of the above; 3. Mid blue.

Comments: The colours achieved are very pretty, but slightly disappointing in that the dyebath was a bright green colour! Longer boiling would probably produce a darker colour, but it looked as though it would become rather murky.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How To Make Peganum Harmala Dye TEK!!! [Re: Aneglakya]
    #3107622 - 09/08/04 12:27 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

The fixative is called a "mordant", that would be the copper in that recipe. DIfferent mordants will produce different colors from the same dye.

Chances are you would have to use wool yarn, or some other kind of animal fiber. Cotton wouldn't work.

Indigo is a rare exception. It will dye anything.

--------------------

Edited by Baby_Hitler (09/08/04 12:29 PM)

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: How To Make Peganum Harmala Dye TEK!!! [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #3107676 - 09/08/04 12:52 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

There are several species of "indigo" and wild indigo native to my area. I'm going to have to look up the genus and see if it is the plant that produces the dye.

--------------------

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: How To Make Peganum Harmala Dye TEK!!! [Re: Aneglakya]
    #3108398 - 09/08/04 04:11 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

would the use of mushroom spores be effective as a dye? they got som pretty facinating colours, if you could get them to stick in place. when making dyes does it have to be some sort of product that sort of bonds to say the string? or can it be a simple dust that just overlays it? berries and pollen come to mind, but no idea how it would work. the first nations here used blood, ash, and berries.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #3109949 - 09/08/04 09:29 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

>>*** I would just like to note that using DMSO and this extract would probably be a very bad idea. I really dont recommend it...

I agree.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3111950 - 09/09/04 03:44 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

http://anthro.fortlewis.edu/ethnobotany/Dbase/images/Documents/SW_DYEPLANTS_2.htm

? Syrian Rue (Peganum harmala): This plant can be found growing near Deming, New Mexico, where it was originally introduced to the West, and has spread along highways from there. The seeds are collected in late August, early September, and can be used to attain various shades from yellow to deep red. The colors I obtained were achieved using the powdered seeds of this plant. When Syrian rue is extracted in water, yellows and oranges are achieved, but when Syrian rue is extracted in alcohol, deep reds ensue. ? vinegar/water=pale yellow ? juniper ash/water= orangish yellow ? alcohol/water=orange, pink, orangish pink, scarlet red (depending on concentration)

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3112978 - 09/09/04 12:29 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

http://kws.atlantia.sca.org/dyeing.html

Different fibers also have different tendencies to absorb natural and synthetic dyes. Protein and cellulose fibers (the two main divisions for fibers used historically in spinning and dyeing) need to be mordanted differently because of their structural and chemical composition. Mordants to cellulose fibers such as cotton and linen usually involve the use of washing soda or tannins to create an alkaline dyebath. Tannins (plantstuffs, such as oak galls containing tannic acid) are widely used in dyeing cellulose fibers as they attach well to the plant fibers, thus allowing the dyes to attach themselves to the tannins, whereas they might not be able to adhere to the fibers themselves (Tannins are sometimes classified as mordants in and of themselves, but are usually considered a chemical to assist in the dyeing process.) Mordants for protein fibers, like wool and silk, are usually applied in acidic dyebaths. Alum with the assistance of cream or tartar, is the most common mordant used to assist the dyes in taking to the fibers.

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
Re: Harmala Discussion. [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #3112993 - 09/09/04 12:35 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

when i get my check next week im gonna order Syrian Rue from bbb and see if i can get some creeper to grow from it.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Offlineskullfarmer1979
shamanator
Loc: Bum Fuck, Egypt
    #3113578 - 09/09/04 03:06 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i got 10grams of rue extract in a vaccuum sealed bag in my freezer. is this the best way to preserve it or is freezing needed?

--------------------
I TASTE THE WREAKAGE OF CRUMBLING FACES,I KNOW THE PALE THING IN THE DARKEST OF PLACES. -DAX RIGGS-

get the most out of life,listen to ACID BATH!!!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Incense, Salvia, Syrian Rue

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden