Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Peat, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRecycledBodies
PsychedelicAdventurer

Case question
    #3106199 - 09/08/04 12:43 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Would I be able to make a casing with the same substrate I did with my jars, vermiculite and brown rice flour. Why do all the recipes for substrate invole other substances? Technically this would work right. My only guess is that this isnt used because it would take to long to colonize through it all, am I right?

--------------------
Ill be that insane nigga from the psycho ward. Im on the trigger plus I got the wu tang swords so how ya figure.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCubieman420
Sharing in thegroove
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Case question [Re: RecycledBodies]
    #3106221 - 09/08/04 12:48 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I'm no expert but the reason you use other materials is because they are good to support "structural" growth of mushrooms rather than your substrate which provides the nutrients. Mushrooms  happen to like to grow on things like peat moss, verm, and coir due to their coarseness, ability to absoarbe water well etc. Things that BRF, or WBS, or millet just can't provide on their own. Hope that helped a bit. :crazy:

--------------------
"...now waters run free, no more fish in the sea..."
1983-2004

Offlinebemmers1
friend of afriendly farmer
    #3106233 - 09/08/04 12:50 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hey man,
The purpose of using the other materials is to protect your spawn from contaminants.  By casing with verm and BRF you are putting uncolonized materials and nutrients on top of your spawn, allowing for contaminants to colonize and ruin all of your hard work.  The purpose of your casing layer isn't to add nutrients, but rather to protect your mycellium from danger.  Good luck with your goods :smile:

Offlinericelicker
The Dude'sImaginary Friend
 Arcade Champion: Radial Snake

Loc: The Yard
    #3106379 - 09/08/04 01:14 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RecycledBodies said:
Would I be able to make a casing with the same substrate I did with my jars, vermiculite and brown rice flour.

As the last person said, NO.

This would lead to guaranteed contamination. I have never seen a casing tek that says use BRF. Straight up verm is what dude has used sucessfully but there are an endless number of casing possibilities out there.

Experiment and find what you like, but stick to the teks in the beginning to leave little room for error. :thumbup:

--------------------
"my brain waves travel at half the speed afta we..." -del tha funkee

"Two men looked out through prison bars...one saw the mud, one saw the stars." -anonymous

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3107514 - 09/08/04 11:12 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Straightup answer? NO! Not only because of the fact that contams love nutes but also the fact that myc loves it too! :wink: This means that the myc will continue to consume (vegetive growth) BRF which is NOT what you want! You want generative (fruiting) growth. Just another reason why you don't use any nutes in the casing! :wink: A casing is a water reservoir. GL and Welcome friend :laugh:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Peat, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation