Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDelyrium
lemonadeh.o.n.e.y.

Loc: vermont
wearing fur?
    #3102947 - 09/07/04 11:24 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

hey - just now that the fall/winter season is coming - i was curious on everyone's view on fur coats and whatnot.

personally - it's disgusting. i have run across people who've bought them at the thrift shop and say "what's done is done" - however - when they have nice warm homes w/ heating - why can't they just donate it to someone who is outside freezing and REALLY needs that coat?

also - the main purpose of fur is to stay warm - how many people are out in the cold now adays wearing their fur coat? especially in NYC on 5th ave - these fur coat wearing women walk from their hotel to a limo and from their limo to a club... they don't get out much!!!

ugh - sickens me. especially when they say it makes them feel "GLAMOUROUS" - well if fur is so GLAMOUROUS why don't we view the actual living animals as being beautiful creatures and should remain on this earth and not be harvested for our materialistic needs?

plus - i usually see fur coats on the most hideous women who usually have enough fat to keep themselves warm even when their naked. ARGHHHH!

--------------------
Fuck Ted Nugent he?s a fucking jerk
I wish that he?d be gone
Chauvanistic republican
Kills animals cause he
Forgot how to write a song

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: wearing fur? [Re: Delyrium]
    #3102960 - 09/07/04 11:28 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

So I take it you don't own a muff?

InvisibleDelyrium
lemonadeh.o.n.e.y.

Re: wearing fur? [Re: goobler]
    #3102980 - 09/07/04 11:35 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

hahah no

--------------------
I wish that he?d be gone
Chauvanistic republican
Kills animals cause he

Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Loc: Stranded in Iowa
    #3103029 - 09/07/04 11:50 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Muffs are cool :P

Personally, I prefer "high performance" fabrics, like from Patagonia and Mountain Hardaware etc. With such warm fabrics (not to mention windproof, waterproof and synthetic down!) I see no reason for the average person to wear furs. Like you said, celebs who need them to get to their limo are destined for a life a bad karma! Now, if I was in Alaska or the Swiss Alps or Russia, you'd better believe I'd be wearing furs! A person who is truly wearing fur to stay warm, will buy some quality stuff, and the garment should last them a long long long time, as leather doesn't wear out easily. So if you need it for warmth, go for it. But if you're just showing off, the little animals will have their revenge...

InvisibleDelyrium
lemonadeh.o.n.e.y.

Re: wearing fur? [Re: agr8fulchick]
    #3103034 - 09/07/04 11:54 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

ya see i agree w/ you agr8fulchick - i just had this arguement w/ some woman who bought a fur coat from a thrift shop and felt that it was okay to wear it because it was already killed - i went on to say that she's still promoting the murder of animals for materialism and that if she really didn't want the jacket to go to "waste" (as she used in her arguement) that she should donate it to the hundreds of thousands of people who are stuck outside in the winter every year.

i feel that if you are on the same playing field as the animals and it's a matter of life and death - well then sure go ahead. mostly because they can out run you, they can kill you, or you can kill them. it's anyone's game out in the wild.

but when you raise them and harvest them on a farm to be used just for the next big rapper's mink coat - then that's just ridiculous!! you give these animals no options - you're playing God for some gluttonous fucker!!

--------------------
I wish that he?d be gone
Chauvanistic republican
Kills animals cause he

Anonymous

#3103064 - 09/07/04 12:04 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i want a parka with fur on it

InvisibleDelyrium
lemonadeh.o.n.e.y.

Re: wearing fur? [Re: ]
    #3103089 - 09/07/04 12:12 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

burton is putting one out w/ fake fur - it's pimp

--------------------
I wish that he?d be gone
Chauvanistic republican
Kills animals cause he

OfflineBigNerd
Sociable loner
Male User Gallery

Loc: local elementary school
    #3103134 - 09/07/04 12:21 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Fur is murder; so is steak. I eat steak; I wear leather. I don't feel bad about this. Should the ermine be skinned to extinction? No. Will I cry and feel bad if they are? No.

BigNerd

--------------------
Sometimes karma needs a little help.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #3103174 - 09/07/04 12:29 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: wearing fur? [Re: BigNerd]
    #3103182 - 09/07/04 12:32 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i have a rather expensive wool coat. granted, wool can be harvested w/o killing the animal but if it couldn't i wouldn't feel bad about it. that motherfucking coat offers unprecedented warmth, breathability, longevity, and looks good doing it.

it seems contrived to get bent outta shape over what other people are doing. if you feel it shouldn't be done then simply don't do it yourself.

wearing furs is in our blood from pre-historic times. in this sense, it is natural for us to clothe ourselves in animal skins.

btw, Patagonia is too damn warm. i sweat in <0F weather with Patagonia leggings on.

sorry if that seems disjointed, i'm a bit preoccupied at the moment.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #3103191 - 09/07/04 12:34 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

my people have killed animals for food, shelter, clothing and tools for many years... we didnt do it because of vanity, it is life.

InvisibleDelyrium
lemonadeh.o.n.e.y.

Re: wearing fur? [Re: debianlinux]
    #3103214 - 09/07/04 12:40 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

when have you NEEDED to wear fur though? esp in cities where you just hope from taxi to place and place to taxi w/ heaters everywhere? it's ridiculous!!

--------------------
I wish that he?d be gone
Chauvanistic republican
Kills animals cause he

InvisibleDelyrium
lemonadeh.o.n.e.y.

Re: wearing fur? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3103219 - 09/07/04 12:42 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

that's a poor excuse -they did it to live - we can live w/o it now.

humans have evolved so much - why can't we get over this facination of killing? and playing God by raising animals to HARVEST them?? we don't need fur - we have great substitutes - for the fur that is already made into coats - give it to the homeless people - the ones who really need it in the winter - not the people who have heaters in their cars and homes.

--------------------
I wish that he?d be gone
Chauvanistic republican
Kills animals cause he

OfflinePhishgrrl
Walking in thetall trees...
 User Gallery

#3103254 - 09/07/04 12:52 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah I think it's really sick and sad to kill an animal for it's fur. I do wear leather though and the way I excuse myself is this: It is cow leather, and it comes from cows that were being killed to be eaten. I don't eat them, so I am using my karma on wearing them. :blush: Maybe that is not a good excuse, but it is mine.

--------------------
Once in awhile you can get shown the light

In the strangest of places if you look at it right...

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #3103293 - 09/07/04 01:02 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i need a nice mink coat

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#3103297 - 09/07/04 01:04 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Delyrium said:
that's a poor excuse -they did it to live - we can live w/o it now.

humans have evolved so much - why can't we get over this facination of killing? and playing God by raising animals to HARVEST them?? we don't need fur - we have great substitutes - for the fur that is already made into coats - give it to the homeless people - the ones who really need it in the winter - not the people who have heaters in their cars and homes.

people eat meat, the animals will be slaughtered regardless, would you rather the remains be wasted or put to use... look at the average pair of shoes, leather is what the upper is made from, the soles on dress shoes are made from leather as well... my people will always hunt, the processing plants make just as efficient use of an animal as indians have, many times they go even further than that...

giving fur to the homeless is no different than someone that bought it in a thrift store wearing it and wouldnt it be better to give them coats made from much warmer synthetic fibers, better still wouldnt it be better to provide the homeless with a place to live and a job... there are many that would refuse that offer and would those that refuse a chance at new life still deserve the fur coat.

InvisibleDelyrium
lemonadeh.o.n.e.y.

Re: wearing fur? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3103338 - 09/07/04 01:16 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

we're not currently talking about leather - more like FUR.

you do not eat MINK or SABLE. do you? i have never seen it in Pathmark.

your statement about not giving fur to the homeless doesn't really make any sense. so someone who has $20 and buys the jacket who lives in a nice, warm luxury home (because around here - thrift shops are the "cool" place to shop for old luxury items) deserves it more than someone who is homeless and freezing on the street?

of course warmer synthetic fibers are great to give them but we aren't in a discussion about that - we are talking about fur coats.

you need to look at one step at a time - of COURSE it would be wonderful for everyone to have a home and a job... but there are people that don't and unfortunately b/c the way the world works - they will either stay homeless or struggle to get to a working class level. help comes in many forms and it all stems from 1 tiny step.

derserving a fur coat isn't really where i was getting at. i was saying that while this woman prances around in her fur coat thinking it's the most glamourous thing in the world - there are people out there who need the warmth and could careless about it being glamourous.

as humans - we did things for NEED. we needed to eat and have shelter - in order to do that we hunted. it was a level playing field though - the animals had the chance to escape and the humans had the chance to catch them. by raising animals just to kill them - you're playing god.

--------------------
I wish that he?d be gone
Chauvanistic republican
Kills animals cause he

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #3103421 - 09/07/04 01:35 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

of course warmer synthetic fibers are great to give them

Quote:

by raising animals just to kill them - you're playing god

Quote:

there are people out there who need the warmth and could careless about it being glamourous

Quote:

as humans - we did things for NEED

look at what your saying.

you are saying that it is better to synthesize materials out of hydrocarbons (think fossil fuels) than to utilise the earth in a fashion proven sustainable for centuries.

I might listen to an argument for utilising only plant materials (think cotton) for clothing but to suggest that synthesized materials are more nature-friendly than pelts is ludicrous.

Edited by debianlinux (09/07/04 01:41 PM)

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#3103441 - 09/07/04 01:42 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Delyrium said:
we're not currently talking about leather - more like FUR.

you do not eat MINK or SABLE. do you? i have never seen it in Pathmark.

do you have any pets... are they vegitarians... cats and dogs eat meat
and do very poorly without it... do you think happens to the little fuzzies that are killed for fur... I have eaten goat, dog, horse and many things that would make you ill, if its what is available then it is what I eat.

Quote:

your statement about not giving fur to the homeless doesn't really make any sense.

it makes more sense to buy a coat that repels water and still provides the warmth needed to prevent hypothermia made from wool or a synthetic than it does to give someone a fur coat that will waterlog and probably lead to their death... unless that is your goal.

Quote:

as humans - we did things for NEED. we needed to eat and have shelter - in order to do that we hunted. it was a level playing field though - the animals had the chance to escape and the humans had the chance to catch them. by raising animals just to kill them - you're playing god.

as humans we do things for GREED... many people still do hunt for food, cattle are raised to provide food for those that do not hunt but still eat meat, to picture thats painted of the animals being tortured and over crowded and then slaughtered is not alwways the case, it does happen but its very rare... would it make a difference if all the pelts were harvested from the wild as they were 100 years ago? As for playing god, what was the vegitarian diet that your pet was on again...

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: wearing fur? [Re: debianlinux]
    #3103450 - 09/07/04 01:44 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

debianlinux said:
I might listen to an argument for utilising only plant materials (think cotton) for clothing but to suggest that synthesized materials are more nature-friendly than pelts is ludicrous.

hemp and cotton would be great materials, for the people exposed to the elements everyday it would be the wort choice... wool will retain 85% of your body heat when its wet where cotton may hold 20%...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom