Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinest2004
Stranger
A Ridiculous UFO Theory
    #3103090 - 09/07/04 02:12 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

The other day I was tripping with a friend and we were lying on a hillside watching the clouds. Our trip was winding down and things were returning to normal, when all of a sudden I saw what looked like a UFO, a glowing orange ball hovering around. It was definetley not a plane or a bird or a hot-air balloon or anything like that. I told my friend and he saw it too, describing it just the same as how I could see it. Then I went and told another friend who was with us but who hadn't taken any drugs. He couldn't see a thing. I was trying to point it out to him for about ten minutes, and by then I was back to normal and could still see it, as could my other mate. Eventually it dissapeared, but my friend who hadn't taken shrooms never saw it at all, plus he has better eyesight than us. Later we went back to my gaff and were having a drink, talking about what we saw. Then I came up with a theory that because our third-eyes were open, we could see what non-influenced people couldn't that was really there. Because say the UFO existed on another plane of reality that our regular two eyes cannot detect, that would explain why our normal friend couldn't see it but we were 100% certain about what we saw. Like how your senses become stronger under the influence of shrooms. I realise that the theory is pretty stupid but I can't think of any other explanation

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
Re: A Ridiculous UFO Theory [Re: st2004]
    #3107885 - 09/08/04 02:11 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

People who already strongly disbelieve are much less likely to have a sighting or to ignore it if they do!

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #3107918 - 09/08/04 02:21 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

While it is certainly a possibility, your suggested explanation, I must quickly bring up another explanation: you were on a substance that is widely known to produce visual hallucinations. You saw a glowing, orange ball - your friend, who wasn't on any substance causing visual hallucinations, did not see a glowing, orange ball. :wink:

On a related note, I was once tripping. Only me and one other friend were able to get shrooms, and he stayed at another's friends house, while that friend (the one with the house) and another took me outside and down to this railroad bridge. I started seeing a lot of weird action in the sky, lights moving very rapidly, then disappearing, and then reappearing half way acrossed the sky, even explosions... they both had not been tripping, and they saw it all, as did I... It is to be noted that they saw all of this first, and then pointed it out.. I had been watching it happen, but didn't think anything of it, since I was tripping, until they brought it up themselves. It wasn't that strong of a trip for me, and all I had going on for hallucinations were the occasional, slight movements of stars, while this was very distinct, and confirmed by sober friends... definitely crazy. We figured the government intercepted and destroyed some visitors and their crafts. :grin:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #3108094 - 09/08/04 03:00 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I don't think it was lack of belief that caused your other friend to not perceive. He wasn't tripping and you were. That should tell you something.

Even though what you saw was in your mind that doesn't make it not real! This is where I depart from many so-called "reasonable" people. Everything is mind stuff. The universe is contained within your mind. There are parallel realities and in certain special moments the veil is thin enough to see through. Sound like you shared one of those moments utilizing our fungus friends.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Offlinest2004
Stranger
Re: A Ridiculous UFO Theory [Re: Jellric]
    #3108646 - 09/08/04 05:12 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I suppose you're right, if you can see it it's real because that's how you perceive it. The thing that makes me think this was really REALLY there though (as opposed to just in my perception) was that my other mate who was on the trip with me could see the exact same thing. It was only the guy who hadn't eaten any shrooms that couldn't see it out of the three of us. Plus the trip was just finishing for the two of us and we were just in the afterglow.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #3109190 - 09/08/04 07:01 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Kinda reminds me of this time me and my friend were "trying out" some MDA pills before the big party.

I twisted up a few paper towels into a chewable "joint-shaped" twist. After a minute of looking at it I realized that the end (where all the paper "ends" stuck out) looked dinstinctly like a very specific emblem. It looked like a lion's head carved into a stone tablet, with the upper left corner broken off. I had never seen this tablet before, so I found it very curious how distinctly I made it out, despite the corner even being broken off.

So, before I said anything as to what I saw, ("Holy shit" was all that came out) my friend asked to see it, so I handed it to him.

First thing he said, not less than a second later was "Shit dude, did you see this fucking lion?"

I then, in awe, asked him to describe it a bit more... he described the same "carving of a lion's head with the corner broken off"

I then attempted to show it to my not-tripping friend, who had recently arrived.

He promptly failed to see it completely.

Which is perfectly logical when you think about it, because "they're all just tripping" is obviously what he's thinking... so he probaly wasn't trying very hard. And he's right, too.

Talk about complication of reliability... there are several issues that will, in combination, almost guarantee a lack of reliable confirmation of any phenomena while tripping:

1. The "gap" created by being on two completely different wavelengths. (I mean that in the most literal and physical way possible.. ie, miscommunication.)

2. The social stigma that "if you believe what you experience on a trip, you're insane"

3. Lack of reliability on one's own perception and memory.

Trying to get a straight person to confirm trippy phenomena is kind of like phoning someone up in France to find out how the weather is in New England, where you are. You can try, but they'll probably think you're nuts. And they could probably find out for you too, but they won't bother, because they think you're nuts.

Okay, I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this anymore, so I better cut myself off.  :grin: Good day to you!

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
    #3109244 - 09/08/04 07:10 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

You were under the influence of a halucinagenic.....you cant be very str8 about seeing something when you were high some day, like you would if you were sober. It just doesnt roll.

Good story though, and still good in a way that it is related to shrooms since this is a shroom based forum:)

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology