Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
Loc: Inguland
My little theory
    #3102095 - 09/07/04 07:02 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Something that I have noticed (admittedly from quite a limited sample) is that people who get violent, confrontational or depressed on alcohol tend to be the same people that get unstable and panicky on psychedelics. Alcohol reduces inhibitions and makes people "revert to form" - that is they act as they would if they were bolder.

Psychedelics, I believe, bring up the same issues, but in a completely different way. You are not thinking so much about the way you act on psychedelics, if you see what I mean, you don't really wander what to do or say, you just do or say it. At least, this has been mine and others' experience.

Anyone had similar experiences? Any thoughts?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineZoso_UK
Zepoholic

Loc: Neverland
Re: My little theory [Re: deafpanda]
    #3102163 - 09/07/04 08:10 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I would say that alcohol reinforces the ego while entheogens subdue it. At least for most cases.

Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
Re: My little theory [Re: Zoso_UK]
    #3102182 - 09/07/04 08:37 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, but my point is that I think instability manifests itself under the influence of either.

OfflineZoso_UK
Zepoholic

#3102201 - 09/07/04 09:02 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I suppose you're right. But then isn't sober life subject to instability also? There is instability in everything but its not always a bad thing (not implying that you said otherwise) :smile: I feel least stable when i'm tripping (usually) but I also think that that instability has improved my life a lot. Mainly because i've come to accept instability.

Offline4369875
Norse God

Loc: Asheville, NC
    #3102760 - 09/07/04 12:34 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

The way I have seen it is happy people make happy drunks and happy trippers. But that is just what I have seen, happy people are just much more fun to do anything with. So as the bumper sticker says "cheer up emo kid"

--------------------
"I believe that if people would learn to use LSD's vision-inducing capability more wisely, under suitable conditions, in medical practice and in conjunction with meditation, then in the future this problem child could become a wonderchild."
- - Albert Hofmann

Offlinest2004
Stranger
    #3103011 - 09/07/04 01:43 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I completely agree. I'm an extremley happy drunk/tripper whreas a mate of mine is a violent drunk and psychopathic tripper. I think that drugs break down your defensive wall and show your true colours. Dope theory

OfflineZoso_UK
Zepoholic

Re: My little theory [Re: st2004]
    #3103023 - 09/07/04 01:48 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i like to think that they not only show your true colours but can help transform them. alcohol tends to make people more violent where as shrooms tend to chill people out. i have definitely changed for the better since i started doing shrooms... or maybe i'm jst discovering the real me? who knows?

OfflineMadnessplus
journeyman
    #3103047 - 09/07/04 02:00 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I definately agree with you deaf panda. Mushrooms tend to open me up and I just start expressing myself. It's not so much through my own will. It just happens. It's like my mind or thoughts are going by themselves. I remember one time I was saying the most insane and funny things when I was tripping at a friends house. I was just letting go with a free style rap and couldn't believe what the hell I was doing!

Offlinest2004
Stranger
    #3103128 - 09/07/04 02:20 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Zoso_UK said:
i like to think that they not only show your true colours but can help transform them. alcohol tends to make people more violent where as shrooms tend to chill people out. i have definitely changed for the better since i started doing shrooms... or maybe i'm jst discovering the real me? who knows?

Yeah, I'd say that's the true you coming out because all drugs do is unlock what's already there, not create things from nothing. For example, all hallucinations are images from your subconscious mind. Probably part of your cool side was locked behind your inebitions before, but now they've been broke down you're out of your shell. That's just my opinion though

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3103767 - 09/07/04 04:52 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I disagree.  I tend to get aggressive when drunk, but I love tripping.  I feel nothing but peace and love when the mushies are in me.  :smile:

OfflineZoso_UK
Zepoholic

Re: My little theory [Re: MOTH]
    #3103812 - 09/07/04 05:05 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Then you have two very different sides that are brought out by different drugs, perhaps?

Just out of interest, which do you prefer then... the drink or of the mushies?  :mushroom2:

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3103885 - 09/07/04 05:19 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Zoso_UK said:
Then you have two very different sides that are brought out by different drugs, perhaps?

That could be.  Alcohol tends to make me into a completely different person.  It's a very destructive drug, in my opinion.  I was an alcoholic for two years of my life.  Nowadays I can drink in moderation without getting mean, but it didn't used to be like that. 

Quote:

Just out of interest, which do you prefer then... the drink or of the mushies?  :mushroom2:

Mushies, all the way.  Alcohol can't even compare.  :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

I think that this theory really depends upon the individual, and where the person is at in their lives.  When I was drinking a lot back in the day, I was miserable sober, and that was really brought out whenever I drank. 

Now, two years later and many mushroom trips later, I can't even recognize or remember the person I used to be back then.  Mushrooms have definately changed me for the better.  :thumbup: :heart:

OfflineZoso_UK
Zepoholic

#3103902 - 09/07/04 05:22 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Thats great to hear  :grin:

Its a common pattern for people who take psycedelics to end up happier with themselves, from what I can tell. Maybe thats why most Governments and authority figures dislike them; because happy people are harder to control.  :rolleyes:

InvisibleDark_Star
dick butterfly
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Under the Grecian fog
    #3105182 - 09/07/04 09:15 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah I know what you mean, It seems like a completely different person was in control of me when I was abusing coke and opiates. Psychedelics have definately made me a better person and enriched my life. Hell, my opiate addiction was broken by one really strong acid trip.

--------------------

Offlinekontron
captain planet
Loc: Eden
    #3105396 - 09/07/04 10:00 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i used to be a real mean drunk. i would flick my cigarette buts into peoples hair and laugh as it started to smoke. i would pick fights with people knowing the bouncers were close friends that would throw down if i picked a fight. i would pick many fights, and mock and enrage many people. my friend was pretty mean too when he got trashed. we would raise hell at the local night clubs, knowing we were assholes, and enjoying every bit of it. yeah i was a real mean drunk.....
but shrooms.. thats a whole nother story. i feel happy. me and my mean drunk friend would giggle like little girls for ever, then go on a walk and talk about life..

me. "up and down and up and down"
my friend "thats life man, some ups, some downs, just got to take them as they come.
me "no man the sidewalk. its moving... up and down and up and down".

i since stopped drinking as much as i used to, and only drink a few beers when i do drink.. no more hard liquire for me. since i have cut down on my intake of hard liquirs i have been a very peacful drunk..

OfflineZoso_UK
Zepoholic

Re: My little theory [Re: kontron]
    #3106849 - 09/08/04 03:29 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

These are the stories Bush's Drug War don't tell you! :P When LSD was first invented back in 1943 (i think), the first practical applications of it before it was used by the masses in the 60s were on treating alcoholism. Glad to see it still works :smile:

Offlinedjd586
Underpants Gnome

#3110985 - 09/09/04 12:53 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I actually have observed the exact oppisite of what you claim. I have friends that act 100% different on shroom then how they act on booze. One of my friends becomes one of the biggest jerk/assholes on alcohol. He's loud and rude and has no respect for himself or others. When he's on shrooms, he becomes very soft spoken and seems to think out his actions before he acts.

As for myself, I know I'm a hell of a lot more aprehensive about most everything when tripping on shrooms compared to when I'm drinking. Like if I'm drinking, I'll just say "fuck it" and do and say shit I wouldn't do while sober, i.e. talk to a girl that I would normally be way to shy to talk to. When I shrooms, I find myself second and even third guessing my every action. I become timid and approach everyday simple situations from a totally different aspect.

--------------------

Phase 1... collect underpants... phase 2...??? ... Phase 3 - PROFIT!

Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
Re: My little theory [Re: djd586]
    #3112756 - 09/09/04 11:01 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hmm yeah my theory certainly has some flaws in it. I think it is only true that you act without thinking on shrooms when you do high doses, low doses just don't do the same thing to me. I usually get far more shy and introverted on low doses than high doses, but I think that's just me. On high doses I am very outgoing, more so than I am normally.

Maybe it is more the case that various drugs amplify/dampen various areas of your personality/psyche. For me, though, some behaviours I have discovered while drunk which I didn't like have come up while tripping, but you are more likely to remember the behaviours after you trip, and try and remedy them, because of the perceived significance of the whole thing.

OfflineGinseng1
Elegant Universe
 User Gallery

#3113117 - 09/09/04 01:13 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Well, sometimes I might get agressive while drunk, but someimes I might just chill and be happy with no reason to be agressive. On shrooms I've always felt love for everything and felt very happy in general. I just recently had a trip where I went psycho and punched my friend in the back of the head and busted my hand punching something else all while not knowing it!

So who knows?
I think deep inside everyone contains the same colours, it's jsut that they come out differently sometimes.

OfflineAhHaHaHa
there issomething on myshoulder
Loc: upon the east
    #3115889 - 09/09/04 10:55 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I agree with you defpanda I believe that physcs are a doorway into the subconscious. I open my arms to mushrooms and the entire world is my escape. It seems to have order and magic. When I am drunk I am mellow. I get depressed because of events in my life, but the natural world eases the pain. However I will never know past my self perception. You must view life from the third person. I love tripping much more than drunkeness.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience