Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Paul Stamets, San Pedro, Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Ethno Books?
    #3101853 - 09/07/04 03:16 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

other than the commonly well known books like shultz, leary, mckenna etc are there any good books on ethnos, tribes, sprituality and such (all having to do with plants)? what are some that stood out to you guys?

the local head shop recomended "One River" by david travis or travis david or somter hing. they said it was mainly about coke, but wentintot others as well. anyone read this?

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Ethno Books? [Re: kadakuda]
    #3101888 - 09/07/04 03:33 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

One river is a nice book by david wade. My wife and I read it together. I personally like books that are strictly hard facts and tons of knowledge but this one I find very easy to read and enjoyable to read about his experiences. The one exception to my love for references books was Ann Shulgins submitions into PIHKAL. When I read of her hardships it brought me to tears. This is one of the first books I ever cried while reading.

One river isn't "about coke" although he does make reference to Coca A LOT. Back before Bob died Mind Books was perhaps the best supplier of this sort of material. I have been collecting books on this subject for ages and I have well over 1000 books in my library that you would find enjoyable to read and very usefull for reference.

You may enjoy Jon Otts Pharmacotheon.. His other books aren't as enjoyable to read as they are filled up half way with citations and references. I could probably recommend several more if I knew what you were specifically looking for.

--------------------

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
    #3102200 - 09/07/04 09:01 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I've got a book called 'The Peyote Cult' by Weston La Barre that is pretty much a summary of the information gathered by westerners about Peyote and its use by central American tribal cultures up until the year of 1989 when my edition was published.

Also another really sweet book I just finished reading was 'Breaking Open the Head' by Daniel Pinchbeck. Its got a lot of info about shamanism and plants etc etc. and its really easy to read I found myself getting through like 50 pages in a day which is a lot more than usual for me.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3102518 - 09/07/04 11:19 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

To Aneglakya (david wade) and kadakuda (david travis or travis david)

The book is "One River" by Wade Davis, not the two names mentioned above by either of you.

Wade Davis is also the author of "The Serpent and the Rainbow," A book he wrote of which a bad movie by WEs Craven was made, a movie Wade Davis disassociated himself from.

One River is the story of Richard Evans Schultes' 13 years in the Columbian Amazonian jungle where he identified more than 20,000 plants new to science including over 80 hallucinogenic plants. chewed coca leaves for 8 years to combat malaria and has a 2,000,000 acre land track in the Amazon named in his honore. H most asdsuredly was the greatest explorer since Richard Spruce and maybe even greater than Stanley and Livingston.

Here is a list of similar books.

While LaBarre's Peyote Cult is the focal point for all Indians who use it in conjunction with ceremonial setups for new charters of the cult, La Barre and Schultes first ate peyote in 1930s while students at harvard who took a class on botany and the sudy of medical plants was one of the topics in his botany class in pre-med school and that trip to the native American Church peyuote ceremony in Oklahoma int he early 1930s is what eventually led Schultes to Mexico in the mid 1960s where he abnd Blas Pablo Reko collected the first known specimens of the magic m shrooms. IT then led, througuh the US aermy's war office to the Amazon to study rubber for the army's war effort, arrow poisons to be use in heart medications and his following plant discoveries also came about becasue of his Amazon jungle adventure. There is also a good bio of Schulties in a past issue of the New Yorker magazine, a rather lengthy bio ver4y well written.

Kahn, E. J. 1992. (Mag.) Profiles: Jungle Botanist. New Yorker:35-58. June 1.
This biography traces the footsteps of the renown ethnobotanist Dr. Richard Evans Schultes from Harvard to his exploration of the Colombian Amazon and then back to Harvard. An amazing adventure in life. See Davis for a complete biography of Richard Evans Schultes and his adventures in the Amazon.

R. E. also has a cockroach named in his honor and many more books and dozens of articles in the Harvard Botanical Museum Leaflets. and other journals.

However Weston LaBarre also wrote the "The Ghost Dance: The Origins of Religion."

This is one of the best books on the history of the hallucinogens.

I have also posted some of LaBarres papers at http://www.thenook.org in the journals forums section under my forum called Tales of the Shroom.

In the meantime, Here is a great list of Mushroom related literature covering the book field for magic shroom histories, Minus the cultivation books on magic shrooms From Teonanacatl: A Bibliography of Entheogenic Fungi co-authored by Jochen Gartz of the University fo Leipzig, Germany..

Allen, J. W. 1997. Magic Mushrooms of the Pacific Northwest. Psilly Publications and RaverBooks, Seattle, Washington. 12 color photos.

Allen, J. W. 1998. Magic Mushrooms of the Hawaiian Islands. Psilly Publications and RaverBooks. Seattle, Washington. Color Photos.

Allen, J. W. 1997. Mar?a Sabina: Saint Mother of the Mushrooms. Psilly Publications and RaverBooks. Seattle, Washington. Out of print.

Allen, J. W. 1997. Teonan?catl: Ancient and Shamanic Mushroom Names of Mesoamerica and Other Regions of the World. Psilly Publications and RaverBooks. Seattle, Washington. Out of Print.

Allen, J. W. 1999. Magic Mushrooms of Australia and New Zealand. www.erowid.org/library/books_online/magic_mushrooms_aunz.shtml. Copyright 1999 by John W. Allen and Erowid. (Online Hard Copy at http://www.erowid.org)

Allen, J. W. 2000 [1979-1981]. Safe-Pik Mushroom Identification Guide. Publishers: Frank and Cheeri Rinaldo. Reprinted 2000 by John W. Allen and Erowid. Introduction by Andrew Weil. 80 Colored photographs. (Online hard copy at http://www.erowid.org).

Allen, J. W. 2000. Mushroom Pioneers: R. Gordon Wasson, Richard Evans Schultes, Albert Hofmann, Timothy Francis Leary and Others. Psilly Publications and RaverBooks. Seattle, Washington. Over 90 Photographs. 188 pages CD-ROM).

Allen, J. W. and James Arthur. 2004. In: (Editor, Ralph Metzner's) Teonan?catl: Sacred Mushrooms of Visions. Four Trees Press, Green Earth Foundations, California.

Allen, J. W. and J. Gartz. 1997. Magic Mushrooms in Some Third World Countries. Psilly Publications and RaverBooks. Seattle, Washington.

Allen, J. W. and J. Gartz. 2000. Psilocybian Mushroom Cultivation: A Brief History Regarding the Contemporary Cultivation, Marketing and Use of Psilocybian Fungi. Psilly Publications and RaverBooks. Seattle, Washington. With 1 photographs. Winter-Spring year 2000-2001. 188 photos. 200 pages. CD-ROM.

Allen, J. W. and J. Gartz. 2000. Teonanac?tl: A Bibliography of Entheogenic Mushrooms. Forward by Jonathan Ott. 300 pages, 2400 references, 1700 annotations, and more than 8600 cross-references. 700 large color photographs with Thumbnails. CD-ROM.

Enos, L. 1973. A Key to the North American Psilocybe Mushroom. Youniverse Press. Lemon Grove California.

Estrada, A. 1976. Maria Sabina: Her Life, Her Chants. An Autobiography. Ross-Erikson. California.

Friedman, S. A. 1987. Celebrating the Wild Mushroom. Dodd, Mead and Co. New York.

Furst, P. T. 1986. Psychedelic Fungi. Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Drugs. Chelsea House Publishing. New York.

Gartz, J. 1997-98. Magic Mushrooms Around the World: A Scientific Journey Across Cultures and Time. The case for Challenging Research and Value Systems. Translated from the German language masterpiece "Narremschwammer" by C. Taake.

Guzm?n, G., Allen, J. W. and J. Gartz. 2000. A Worldwide Geographical Distribution of the Neurotropic Fungi, An Analysis and Discussion. And. Civ. Musei. Di, Rovereto, Italy. (In press).

Hofmann, A. 1980. LSD My Problem Child. McGraw-Hill. New York.

Leary, T. 1968 High Priest. University Press. World. New York.

Leary, T. 1983. Flashbacks: A Personal and Cultural History of an Era. J. P. Tarcher Inc. Los Angeles.

Lincoff, G. and D. H. Mitchell (Eds.). 1980. Toxic and Hallucinogenic Mushrooms. Van Nostrand Reinhold. New York.

McKenna, T. 1993. Food of the Gods: The Search for The Original Tree of Life. Bantam Books. New York.

Menser, G. 1977 [1991]. Hallucinogenic and Poisonous Mushroom Field Guide. And/or Press. Berkeley, California. Re-issued as Magikal Mushroom Handbook. Homestead Book Co. Seattle, Washington.

Ott, J. 1976 [1979]. Hallucinogenic Plants of North America. Wingbow press. Berkeley, California.

Ott, J. 1993. Pharmacotheon: Entheogenic Drugs, Their Plant Sources and History. (see pp273-319. Natural Products Co. Kennewick, Washington.

Ott, J. and J. Bigwood (Eds.). 1978. Teonanacatl: Hallucinogenic Mushrooms of North America. Madrona Press. Seattle, Washington.

Reidlinger, T. J. (ed.). 1990. The Sacred Mushroom Seeker: Essays for R. Gordon Wasson. Dioscorides Press. Portland, Oregon. A few dozen chapters on the life and memory of R. Gordon Wasson by those who knew him.

Rumack, B. and E. Saltzman (Eds.). 1978. Mushroom Poisoning: Diagnosis and Treatment. CRC Press. West Palm Beach, Florida.

Sanford, J. 1966. In Search of the Magic Mushroom. Clarkson N. Porter. New York.

Schultes, R. E. 1978. Hallucinogenic Plants. A Golden Garden Guide. Golden Press. New York.

Schultes, R. E. and A. Hofmann. Plants of the Gods. McGraw-Hill Book Co. New York.

Stafford, P. 1992. Psychedelic Encyclopedia. J. P. Tarcher, Inc. Los Angeles.

Stafford,Peter. 2003. Magic Mushrooms. Ronin Publishing. Berkeley, California.

Stamets, P. 1978. Psilocybe Mushrooms and Their Allies. Homestead Book Co. Seattle, Washington.

Stamets, P. 1996. A Field Guide to Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World. Ten Speed Press. Berkeley, California.

Wasson, R. G. May 13, 1957. Life magazine. Seeking the Magic Mushroom or Mushrooms that ause strange visions.

Wasson, R. G. 1980. The Wondrous Mushroom: Mycolatry in Mesoamerica. McGraw-Hill Book Co. New York.

Weil, A. 1972. The Natural Mind: A New Way of Looking at Drugs and the Higher Consciousness. Houghton Mifflin. Boston, Ma.

Weil, A. 1980. Marriage of the Sun and Moon. Houghton Mifflin. Boston, Ma.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dick Schultes also wrote, The healing Forest, Where the Gods Reign and Vine of the Soul.

He was also the worlds leading expert in orchides.

mj

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Ethno Books? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3102626 - 09/07/04 11:57 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

haha MJ, I always get that mixed up. MJ has a VERY KEEN knowledge of literature and is one of the few researchers that I actually look up to. I thank you for all of your contributions and the amount of time you have spent sharing this information.

YOu can get one river and the serpent both at Borders.. Borders has tons of books on psychedelics and psychoactives.. Check out the Psychology section you can find books like Breaking open the head, Hallucinogens, LSD creativity and consciousness (something like that).. in the alternative medicine section of borders and B&N you can usually find Plants of the Gods 2nd edition, in the Metaphysical section of B&N you can find PIHKAL and TIHKAL.. In the cultural studies section of borders and B&N you can find books on synthetic drugs like MDMA and others as well as books on Shamanism... You can get Carlos Castenada's books in the metaphysical section of Barnes too.. Just goto borders and use their computers to search for words like Hallucinogen or Psychedelic or Ethnobotany. you will find some good ones.. I just bought Shamanism: ARchaic Techniques of Ecstacy by Mircea Eliade. Its a very good cultural comparison study.
oH yeah, you can get tons of books by Terrence McKenna and Timothy Leary in the psychology section too. Not to mention the hundreds of books on Pot and Hashish in the plants/gardening section.. Also, you can get a ton of mushroom books including Psilocybe ID guide by stamets and growing hallucinogenic mushrooms by Gottlieb and the one by the mckenna bro's... as well as the psychoactive cacti boopk... ok ok im going to stop now.. theres hundreds at your disposal. GO BUY THEMA LL NOW. Its a great investment. Knowledge is so powerfull. Try to read everyday you will thank youself later.. even if you dont understand what you read.. still read it and it wil make sense one year from now.

knowledge is my ultimate goal.. and i'm very happy to have access to this forum so that I may openly discuss these issues and learn all that I have learned from you guys! Thank you for all your contributions everyone.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Ethno Books? [Re: Aneglakya]
    #3102757 - 09/07/04 12:34 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Hi again, I also suggest that when one reads one of the above noted h books that they take heed of the suggested reading lists or references in the back of the books or even the foot note references. These lead to other related literature and help further sudies in this b field of ethnobotany.

Mj

WE all learn by sharing but some have to take these to ollege and really explore the vast fields of knowledge not avaioable in public libraries.

Yes Borders as well as amazon.com and barnes and N0oble and others sell books of this nature and many pubklic libraries also keep somole of these books on their shelves until someone steals them.

Two-thirds of all mushroom written articles have been exciosed from pages of journals at the University of Washington.

SOmeone informed me that an asshole used a razor or sharp knife to cut all of my photos form my ariticle on Hawaiian mushrooms from the pages of the journal of Ethnopharmacology.

Luckilly I had one last (my personal copy) of the origianl reprint ont he same paper as trhe journal. I donated this to them.

All of the original French articles by Roger Heim and R. Gordon Wssson were cut fromt he COmptes Rendus Acad. of Sci journals adn from Revue de Mycologia. Many of these articles were also reprinted in several other French Journals at the time of their writings so some of the original information is still available at the UW in other journals.

Luckilklly6 I have the two large French Volumes of The Hallucinogenic Mushroooms of Mexico by Heim and Wasson. They are in French but lavishly illustrated with Mazatec ceremonial photos and histories of the Olmecs, Toltecs and Aztecs and the Spainsh conquest of Nueva Espa?a. Ooops, sorry abvout the large n but I need the accent maerk. Just forgot the correct Acii.

mj

Invisibleentheoindole
Seāð Wīdfarend
 User Gallery

Loc: Eormensyll, Vīnland
    #3103408 - 09/07/04 03:33 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Witchcraft Medicine by Christian Ratsch seemed to be OK.

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Ethno Books? [Re: entheoindole]
    #3103519 - 09/07/04 03:59 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

thats a nice little reference too. You can buy that one at borders.

--------------------

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#3105411 - 09/07/04 10:03 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

wow thanks all.  and mj...DAMN that was helpfull.  im off to amazon next paycheck to blow away ay car insurance money!

at least we knew there was a D somewhere in the name  :tongue:  thats dyslexia for ya.

although im sure all thsoe books covered everythign im into here is the specifics of my interestes, in regards to ethno's.  Native beliefs/ceremonies and the animals/plants used with/for them.  not sacrifices. plant biology and easy to read chemical makeup.  Habitats ranges introductions, impacts on the area, teh commercial end of the plants.  symbiotic relationships***.  i gues sthose are the main points.  im really interested in all nature and all aspects, but i guess those are the more intrigueing ones to me.  im not looking for shit like how to get high and that type of thing.  want to learn about historical religous uses adn about the actual plants themselves, ya know?

thanks again all, REALLy helps!

--------------------

Invisiblegdman Happy Birthday
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #3105635 - 09/07/04 10:46 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: Ethno Books? [Re: gdman]
    #3105665 - 09/07/04 10:51 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

ya thanks man. read a lot of those. good stuff in them, for sure!

--------------------

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Loc: England.
    #3105727 - 09/07/04 11:04 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions people! I'd like to start a little library of this stuff, and now I have some good ideas of what to get, when I have the money!
I must remember to check out my university library too, I'm sure it must have loads of great books on ethnobotany.
Also a friend of mine at uni is studying anthropology, I love reading his books on religions etc. It's fascinating to see how different peoples view the world, and how they think it was created and controlled etc.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Ethno Books? [Re: Openminded]
    #3107496 - 09/08/04 11:02 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I would also suggest reading the journal of Psychoactive Drugs (originally the jouernal of psychedelic drugs), The journal of aALtered States of consciousness,

Any of the writings of R. Gordon Wason. Frank Miller on the Mijes of Oaxaca, Michael harners Hallucinogens and Culture. Dobkins works and those of Schultes. Narcotic Plants by William Emboden, mark D Merlin;'s Man and Amarijuana (soon to be reprinted under new name by Merlin and edited nby me and Rob Clark), on the trail of the ancient Opium Poppy or MErlins new article on opium in Economic Botany.

They are all on the use amongst indigenous peoples.

And while Plants of the Gods is a cool book, there were many errors not removed or corrected when Christian R?tsch reedited the original Schultes and Hofmann copy..

Have a shroomy day,

mj

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

#3107693 - 09/08/04 12:59 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

MJ, I think I recall you mentioning something about those errors before... Also, I have a question for you about Amanita muscaria.

Didn't you say something about the link between amanita and the vikings using it to enter into "Berserker mode" is very weak and not credible? I just want to clear that up in my own head.

--------------------

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

#3107729 - 09/08/04 01:15 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Well, I was watching something on the history channel a long time ago where they were discussing the Viking and one in segment they talked about how the Vikings supposedly took mushrooms before battle (they didn't mention the type of mushroom though). Also, I think they found some drawings/paintings that showed a mushroom - I don't remember it all that well because I say the program about a year or two ago.

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: Ethno Books? [Re: theocean06]
    #3108343 - 09/08/04 03:56 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

i was just reading about some tribes eating fly agaric. the author said the males when eating it would often combat each other and it wasnt uncommon if someone didnt make it through the night. they also said that when the women ate it that they were not held accountable for thier own actions. it made them very...uhh..."easy".

he also talked briefly about how they drank each others piss to halucinate and doing it this way aparantly had very few ill effects cause it was believed that it would filter out the bad chems.

anyway, heard abut that viking thing too. never knew if it was fact or fiction.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #3108536 - 09/08/04 04:48 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Dick Schultes in a personal comnm. to me stated that the Viking theory had since been disproven, but di dnot offer me any reference to that.

He also agreed that the Mazatec and other Indians of Oaxaca did not use panaeolus sphinctrinus as noted in his book Plants of the Gods.

An error of misidentification of specimens i the field later separatedd int he late 1950s by Rolf Singer of the Chicago mu7seum of natural history.

Others are included in that book.

Mjshroomer

Sorry I am having a bad day. Late rent payment just cost me $40.00, and I have one hundred copies of my76 book Magic Mushrooms of the PNW at home here colated with no coversand I cannot find the receipt form the printers hich said I paid for everythign so now they want to recharge me to print one hundred covers and staple and trim the pages.

I had the receipt about three weeks ago when I first came home. Then the soda machine in my buiilding ate another 75 cents on me. Two machines today and three times last week. The land lords charged me a forty dollar late fee becasue I left the rent check sitting on my dresser and forgot to ggive it to her. The holding company is very strict so I am n out forty dollars. I may sell five or six prints real cheap to make it up or a few cheap t-shirts or a batik.

Later.

\Mj

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

#3113943 - 09/09/04 03:55 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

MJ, Maybe you could sell me some signed copies of your books MJ. I dont have a lot of money but would like to help support a legend. Maybe a shirt or a signed picture of you would be cool too. PM me , lets talk business.

--------------------

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#3115618 - 09/09/04 09:48 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

make that a double. im too lazy to pm right now, but ill shoot you a line somtime. i would LOVE to read some of your books/reports/papers. if you are ok with it of course.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #3116322 - 09/10/04 12:26 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Hey you a guys are lucky. I just came into a small collection of Shroom books and Ethenogens and sseveral i back issues of TRP (TRIP) magazine and some back issues of Psychedelic Illuminations with my articles in them, uincluding Matria Sabina Saint Mother of the Sacred Mushrooms, and my article Close Encounters of the Panaeolus Kind.

Will list them and prices in a day or so in the market place so please wait until I post the info. Also includes the book Psychedelics Revisited with a chapter by me and Jochen Gartz on Magic shrooms in third world countries. Also have the sacred mushroom Seeker, Gary Mensers hallucingoenic and poisonous mushrooms, The book Sacred Mushrooms and the laws State by states by Glen Boire,, Growing Wild mushrooms by Bob Harris and an autogtraphed copy of James Arthurs Mushrooms and Mankind.

Mj

check me in a few days am a little busy right now.

mj

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Paul Stamets, San Pedro, Terrence McKenna

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden