Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedrake
Stranger
First Time Out ID Please?
    #3099915 - 09/06/04 04:48 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I was out for the first time today and this is what I found I could have filled a pick up truck full of these can someone ID please. Central IL.

Thanks

Edited by drake (09/06/04 04:56 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: First Time Out ID Please? [Re: drake]
    #3100043 - 09/06/04 05:35 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Were those growing from the base of standing trees, or dead stumps?

They look like the choice edible "hen of the woods" also known as "sheep's head". I don't have my books with me right now, but I believe they should drop white spores.

I would wait for a second opinion before eating, but I believe you have found an excellent edible mushroom.

Nice find :thumbup: :laugh:

Offlinedrake
Stranger
Re: First Time Out ID Please? [Re: shroomydan]
    #3100059 - 09/06/04 05:42 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Dan-

I have been deer hunting I this area for the last 2years and just today a guy stopped because he saw me opening the gate to my property. He said he had Mushroom hunted this property for 30years and that I had no idea what I had fallen into meaning the quantity and quality of the mushrooms. I took this bag full today 9-6-2004 all from Large live Oak trees. I am not kidding I could fill a Semi with thease things. I even remember seeing a black version of this. Please tell me what you can Iam new to this. I will take pictures next time becase there was all kinds of single stem mushrooms growing from the size of basketballs to small little red caps. Tell me what you need to know and I will help.

Thanks
Rick

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #3100101 - 09/06/04 05:57 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

The best advise I have is to buy a feild guide. The base of live oaks is where the sheep's head grows. They are a very tasty mushroom that are good fresh or canned. I don't have my books with me so i can't tell you the latin name, but a google search for "sheep's head mushroom" should tell you everything you need to know.

Peace

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #3100512 - 09/06/04 07:47 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Those look to be Meripilus giganteus, also known as the Black Staining Polypore. They should stain black if bruised or as they get old. They are edible, although the reports I've heard don't indicate that they are wonderful to eat. It is recommended that you use long, slow cooking to make them relatively tender.

Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures