Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTonic
Loc: Iceburg in the Southeast ...
HELP!!! Crop is going wierd. Premature Fruiting!
    #309955 - 05/05/01 01:34 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Ok. I have a crop of Cambodian cubensis on wheatstraw.
It was only maybe 12 days ago that I added colonized liquid substrate, and it was starting to colonize the wheatstraw.

But the wheatstraw is not at all 'fully' (like the entire depth), colonized, and little tiny shrooms are starting to grow out of the straw. They're narrow and white and fuzzy.

It isn't cased yet! Is the problem..

Should I just case it? Like, gently around the shrooms, on top crushing of them, or leave it alone? Maybe even mix all the straw together to redistribute the mycelium and get a thorough colonization?

My humidity is fine and the temperature has been around 74 the whole time.

What should I do?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleNuShroomPharmerII
old hand

Post deleted by users_request [Re: Tonic]
    #309957 - 05/05/01 01:36 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

OfflineTonic
Re: HELP!!! Crop is going wierd. Premature Fruiting! [Re: NuShroomPharmerII]
    #309977 - 05/05/01 02:03 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

It is though. Except for 2 minute periods at a time when I check on them. And does it need to be pitch black?

I'm seriously considering picking off the shrooms and remixing the entire substrate. Is this bad?

OfflinewhyIdied

Loc: The exact center of the e...
Re: HELP!!! Crop is going wierd. Premature Fruiting! [Re: Tonic]
    #309985 - 05/05/01 02:27 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Remixing sounds like a winner idea to me. But then maybe you could just let it do it's thing and it will produce shrooms for you the way it is. The mycelium will still be able to grow more after shrooms start growing, I think. (why not?). So the rest will probably colonize. As far as I know, it's a choice of where you want to take this experiment.

...slow moves, sweet feet...

--------------------

OfflineTonic
Re: HELP!!! Crop is going wierd. Premature Fruiting! [Re: whyIdied]
    #310001 - 05/05/01 03:00 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

There are too many pins.. I don't have the heart to remix. Since I first posted, 2 hours ago, they've grown a lot. Will they be alright without a casing layer?

OfflinewhyIdied

Loc: The exact center of the e...
Re: HELP!!! Crop is going wierd. Premature Fruiting! [Re: Tonic]
    #310054 - 05/05/01 04:41 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I am not the most experienced here, that's for sure, but I don't see why they wouldn't be OK without a casing layer.  Think of innoculated substrate as a big PF cake.  If you put that into a terrarium, it will fruit and be very healthy.  I suppose you might need to watch out for contamination more if substrate isn't completely colonized...
The other benefit of casing is a source of water, minerals, um ...(I have no clue).... and other yum-yums.  I have consistantly heard that casings increase yields, but hey!  Don't worry about it.  It's all just experimentation until you know what you're doing.  I understand the compulsive concern...but sometimes I have to tell myself "it's just a hobby"..........:)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate