Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepenguingenius
Stranger
White Gilled Variety Turns Purple??
    #3099361 - 09/06/04 04:18 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hi and thanks for the help in my previous post....we've had around 4 inches of rain over the course of 2 days...today was the first day with sunshine in the morning and now its clouding up again..anyway's I've found a vast array of varieties today that all stain blue and I've found two very nice white mushrooms that stain purple after picking. The caps are very large and as a whole the mushroom's are very nice to look at....I've been told to stay away from white gilled mushrooms because they tend to be death caps and am curious if I've came across something good or is it a bad variety..I'd say our total haul so far today and there are several more patches that are being watched for just the right time to pick but anyways I'd say we've netted well over a pound of what will soon be dried mushrooms. Seems they are coming up as fast as we can get them picked. Mostly what I would believe to be either stuntzi's or cyanescens....found a few other varieties in different terrain but mostly these are coming out wooded mossy areas that are saturated and the caps are very slimy and the stems blue in about 5 minutes time...these other 2 though have the same thing in common...the caps have a pretty whitish purple areas on them and then the stems are bright white and fiborous but turned purple on touch and then the gills are now turning purple.

Thanks for any help again in advance

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: White Gilled Variety Turns Purple?? [Re: penguingenius]
    #3099501 - 09/06/04 04:58 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

first of all, where do you live?

now, how would you describe the underside of the caps of your mushrooms that bruise blue?  gills, spongy, pores...?

Ps. stunztii and cyanescens are very easy to tell apart, the fact you think you have one or the other but don't know which makes me think you have neither.  Furthermore, cyanescens season hasn't begun yet...

make sure you're describing what's actually there rather than what you want to see :smirk:, purple bruising is not common in mushrooms and usually when we hear of it, people are confusing the spore color of psilocybes with bruising color and not describing things objectively.

Edit:  ok, I read your other post and see you live in minnesota. 

you definitely don't have stuntzii or cyanescens, or likely any other active mushroom.  my guess is some type of bluing bolete, some of which are poisonous and shouldn't be eaten. 

DH

Edited by DH (09/06/04 05:11 PM)

Offlinepenguingenius
Stranger
Re: White Gilled Variety Turns Purple?? [Re: spores]
    #3099637 - 09/06/04 05:34 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I not really sure how to describe all the mushrooms I find yet..we've found mutltiple varieties today and I live in an area that has logged sites, wetlands, grassy lawn, and living trees....it's been lately in the 50's at night and we've had killing frost one night a few weeks back. currently today it's lucky if we're in the lower 60's...we've found varities that for sure are the right varities, the spore prints are coming out purple-black...the stems are bruising soon after picking....like within 5 minutes....some that we've found the veils have not broken yet but the caps are turning a nice dark blue while drying...then we come across some types that are skeptical like the white gilled one that the gills are turning more and more purple as it dries...I've looked over pictures for the whole day so far and still believe these to be cyanescens or a close relative...everything matches as far as the descriptions on this site say to look for and I know we have the good ones around here because the indians on the res talk about it every now and again.....I've personally had experience with the PF Tek kit and ran it for almost 2 years before quitting and now am into just looking to see what I can find so I have a rough idea of what signs to look for I'm just not sure on varities so I know for sure I could be off on varities but not on content of the mushroom.

If I had my digital camera right now but I don't because it's in the pawn shop on loan I would send in pictures of what we are finding and tomorrow I will have the camera back to take the pics to have help identifying so please be patient and help me along as I am a novice but do love the hobby :-))

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

#3099677 - 09/06/04 05:43 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I'm just not sure on varities so I know for sure I could be off on varities but not on content of the mushroom.

ok man, I don't mean to shoot you down, but you reg'd 3 days ago, you are in no position to be able to tell what is a psilocybe and what is not from what I've seen in your posts. mushroom hunting isn't something where you can hunt for 3 days and become an expert.

you can take the advice of some random 'indians on the res' or someone who has spent the past few years studying psilocybes and other mushrooms in depth and picked both varieties you mentioned along with several others. I've seen that there are an awful lot of people that will act like they have a clue about wild mushrooms (especially psilocybes) when they actually don't.

you'll also notice in the hunting FAQ that no active mushrooms are listed as growing in minnesota, which means the only possible active species you are likely to come across there are panaeolus subbalteatus and maybe gymnopilus spectabilis.

this isn't to discourage you from hunting, posting pics and asking for ID's but to discourage you from being overconfident and poisoning yourself on the advice of people who don't know what they're talking about.

DH

Offlinepenguingenius
Stranger
Re: White Gilled Variety Turns Purple?? [Re: spores]
    #3099725 - 09/06/04 05:55 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

you have not offended me or any other thing...I just like to keep a positive attitude until I have no choice but to give in on the hopes of finding something good.

I appreciate help when I can get it and was merely trying to describe what experience and conditions/terrain around me that we are hunting.

Never would I eat a mushroom without positive ID as I do not wish to get sick or die

Thanks for the pointers and have a great day

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

#3099737 - 09/06/04 05:58 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

very few active mushrooms grow in woodland habitats such as what you described.  Peace and good hunting :wink:

DH

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification