Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinementality
Stranger
Using only a fan to dry?
    #3095450 - 09/05/04 03:00 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I have abandoned the oven idea. I now have a fan on them, but should I definitaly use the desiccant method or can I just leave them under the fan until they're dry? Do I risk losing potency this way?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: Using only a fan to dry? [Re: mentality]
    #3095489 - 09/05/04 03:08 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

In order to store your shrooms for a long period of time you really should use a desiccant to finish up the drying process. The problem with just using the fan is that the air just wont do a thorough enough job of pulling all of the moisture out of the shrooms. The desiccant chamber will provide air that is very very dry and capable of pulling more moisture out. Yes,if they are not cracker dry then a potency loss can be noticed over time as well as a possibility of them just going bad and not being fit to eat at all. Epsom salts work ok if that is all you can find. Most drug stores will sell them.

Good Luck!

--------------------

Offlinecrazychemist
Spreader ofSpores

#3095783 - 09/05/04 05:19 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I agree, fan dry till they don't get any drier, then throw them in a dessicant chamber.  Damp-Rid works great and is pretty cheap.  Damp-Rid is available at hardware stores and some department stores.  After a day or two in the chamber all will be cracker dry, snap a stem to check.

:mushroom2:

--------------------
The worst mistake that you can make is to think you're alive when really you're asleep in life's waiting room.
-Waking Life

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #3096084 - 09/05/04 07:18 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

In my opinon it depends on what the humidity it is where you live. I live on the edge of a high altitude desert and have found no need whatsoever to use dessicant chambers. But then the humididty where i live is below 50%, A fan is all i use.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Using only a fan to dry? [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3097725 - 09/06/04 01:47 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

In very cold places there is also a very low humidity. Using a desiccant works great though, as long as you fan dry them first.

-FF

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3097930 - 09/06/04 03:05 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I have a Dessicant Dehumidifier from mycosupply (25$)

http://www.mycosupply.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=DDDH01

You can put the mushrooms on a plate, and fan them with a small desk fan for 24 hours, then put them into an airtight container wtih a freshly charged dessicant dehumidifier. 24 hours later, recharge the dehumidifier, and put it back in with the mushrooms for another 24 hours. After that they should be nice and dry...total is 72 hours.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies