Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinethieverycorp
Stranger

Loc: Texas
Forum Politics and flames....
    #3096601 - 09/05/04 11:38 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I know this isn't the forum for this but I'm afraid it's the only place where I will get my answer... and actually it's involving the politics of the actual forum so maybe it does belong here...It seems pretty arbitrary as to what is considered a flame, some of the stuff that gets through is awful, on both sides I see posts that would make an oyster blush, but then I see posts get locked for much less inflammatory things, I'm just wondering...

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Forum Politics and flames.... [Re: thieverycorp]
    #3096738 - 09/06/04 12:04 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

In general, attacking the poster rather than what the poster says is considered a flame. The idea is to address what has been said. It may very well be that someone posting what you perceive to be a racist comment is in fact himself a racist. Yet posting racist theories is not flaming. If you want to post a screed claiming that blacks or asians or arabs are inferior to whites, go right ahead. If you want to post that whites are evil redneck NASCAR-watching oppressors of the masses responsible for all the evils in the world, go right ahead. But be prepared to see your opinions disputed.

However, if you see someone post something you disagree with and your response is to call them an idiot or a dickhead, you're not arguing against what has been posted.

As for what you perceive to be an inconsistent application of the rules here, the reality is that this is a very busy forum, and quite a few comments will sometimes be let slip by before the mods step in to shut things down. This is a political discussion forum after all, and some people tend to get pretty heated when attacking what they perceive to be foolish statements. Often these are one-time events made in the heat of the moment and never (or seldom) repeated. This is why there is usually at least some leeway given before a warning is issued.

However, lately things have been getting out of hand, so for the next little while when I am online I will be less lenient than I sometimes have been. Sometimes things can be settled by locking a thread. Sometimes a ban will be recommended to the administration.

The best thing to do is watch your own posts, and if you see something you feel violates the rules of the forum, click the "notify moderator" icon of the post in question. This sends an e-mail to all three mods of the PA&L forum.

See at the bottom of each post the little "post extras" line with four icons beside it? The third one over is the "notify moderator" icon.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: Forum Politics and flames.... [Re: Phred]
    #3096757 - 09/06/04 12:08 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I will admit pinky you are a fair mod.

--------------------

Invisibleretread
-=HasH=-
Re: Forum Politics and flames.... [Re: Zahid]
    #3097012 - 09/06/04 01:01 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

That he is.

On a related note, everyone click "Notify moderator" on his post, just to test it out :smile: heh sorry pinky

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion