Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinementality
Stranger
Drying with oven?
    #3094853 - 09/05/04 11:56 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

When using the desiccant/tupperware method to dry, mycelium began to grow aggressivly on these picked mushrooms. The mushrooms were also retaining most of their water even after several days. I imagine it was a problem with my desiccant (I used packages from vitamin bottles...bit shaddy perhaps). Now I simply want to get them dry. I am starting to use my oven at 140 degrees. Has anyone used this method. What effects does it have on potency? How long should they bake?
Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Drying with oven? [Re: mentality]
    #3094862 - 09/05/04 11:58 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Did you fan dry them first for 24 hours??

140 degs is going to be nooooo good

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Offlinementality
Stranger
Re: Drying with oven? [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3094891 - 09/05/04 12:08 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I did not fan dry, should I. What is a better temperature, and for how long?

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3094893 - 09/05/04 12:09 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Fan drying is so important first. Heat, UVrays, and oxygenation are all enemies! Once dried these become much less of a factor. Some here say heat won't hurt a thing well I made the mistake of drying a few OZ. quickly with heat resulting in alot of cellulose and very disappointed friends so IME keep it at 100F. or lower for best results. In an 140 degree oven they be cracker in anywhere from an hour to 4 or more depending of course on the size of the mushrooms :frown: After all that work/effort don't take a chance and don't let someone tell you it's alright because they are most definitely not looking out for your best interest. GL

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Drying with oven? [Re: hyphae]
    #3094908 - 09/05/04 12:13 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Dry heat at 86-90 degs. Works very good for drying shrooms

--------------------

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #3094974 - 09/05/04 12:31 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Dry your mushies with a fan at room temperature until they are pretty much dry but still bendable. How dry you get them depends on your humidity.

Don't use ANY heat, it's simply not required.

-FF

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Drying with oven? [Re: fastfred]
    #3095060 - 09/05/04 12:55 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Well after hearing several times about low heat insn't nessecary and how it can cause a loss of potency. Well you have all heard me say dry heat at 86-90 degs works great for drying shrooms. Mabey none of you have had this problem.......All of your dessicant chamber are full of shrooms, the fan is blowing on 3 full trays of shrooms and you have just picked 4 lbs more of fresh shrooms and the next day you will be picking several more lbs. Well what the fuck do you do??

Discover that 86-90 degs low heat is a great way to dry shrooms. And from the opion of dozens of satified friends who never noticed ANY difference from the last 2 years of shrooms dried in a dessecant chamber. YOU START TO BELIEVE. :tongue:

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3095089 - 09/05/04 01:06 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I agree 86-90F. is not considered using heat and for that matter I don't even see 100F doing much of anything as long as theres a fan blowing too. IME 25yrs+ warmer dry temps help and do not hurt but over 100F. is where problems can rise along with the fact that warmer air holds more moisture AC fan drying would be actually faster than heat :wink: Tip: Drying is not a heat issue it is a transpirational issue.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3095112 - 09/05/04 01:17 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

hyphae said:
Tip: Drying is not a heat issue it is a transpirational issue.

Exactly...

Facts
------
1. Psilocin is not a particularly stable compound and degrades fairly quickly over time.
2. Heat increases the rate of almost every chemical reaction.

Now draw your own conclusions.

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3095113 - 09/05/04 01:18 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah I once put some shrooms in the oven set at 150 degs. And 2 hours later, Aughhhhhhh I somehow forgot. Shit get them out of there.

Thoses shrooms didn't get a fly high.

--------------------

OfflineIamthewalrus
every evening Idied and everynight I wasreborn
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
    #3095604 - 09/05/04 03:47 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I've dried shrooms at full heat in a dehydrator...they were hot to the touch and didn't seem to lose any potency at all..that said I dry at 110 in my dehydrator now....I've had shrooms that would not fully dry out at 95

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Drying with oven? [Re: Iamthewalrus]
    #3095620 - 09/05/04 03:56 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Just use a fan! Dries them way faster than a dehydrator, unless it has a massive fan in it.

The slower you dry them and the more heat you use, the more psilocybin/psilocin you lose. There's no way around that fact.

-FF

Offlinediseasedfetus
I Love You!

Loc: Canada?
Re: Drying with oven? [Re: fastfred]
    #3095627 - 09/05/04 04:00 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

My dehydrator seriously dries an ounce of fresh picked shrooms in 3 hours dude.

--------------------
World of shit in which a sandwich would be what was concerning your fantasic ideals, fruitalicious fuckwad. I am a racoon.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Drying with oven? [Re: diseasedfetus]
    #3095646 - 09/05/04 04:08 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Wow against all odds they still think heat has no effect on fresh cubies? Dried in three hours and still got off? well ya lucky dude! I wasn't so lucky cost me a few friends too. Thats a foolish person advice plain and simple IMHO!!!! No disrespect meant to anyone. In my case the dehydrator was going awhile after they were cracker also! (12hrs.) I baked them MOFO's

Offlinediseasedfetus
I Love You!

#3095661 - 09/05/04 04:17 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

You just have to check them and let them sit with the dehyrdator off everyone once in awhile, mine actually doesn't even get that hot. I've noticed no decrease in potency at all.

--------------------
World of shit in which a sandwich would be what was concerning your fantasic ideals, fruitalicious fuckwad. I am a racoon.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Drying with oven? [Re: diseasedfetus]
    #3095678 - 09/05/04 04:27 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

diseasedfetus said:
You just have to check them and let them sit with the dehyrdator off everyone once in awhile, mine actually doesn't even get that hot. I've noticed no decrease in potency at all.

Like you said your dehydrator doesn't get that hot thats fine also you probably weren't drying a ton of shrooms either. My only point here really diseasedfetus is that people go to all that effort and for many it's they're first success at it so treat the end product of our efforts with respect :wink: And of course what ever works for you works bottom line right? :wink: I do know I dried them much longer than need be in that case and if I was fan drying I would have saved that QP :frown: Live and learn I guess.

Offlinediseasedfetus
I Love You!

#3095684 - 09/05/04 04:33 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

You could dissconnect the heater and have sweet little fanning unit with chronic ass trays allowing tons of airflow and maximum drying ability.  :heart:

--------------------

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Drying with oven? [Re: Iamthewalrus]
    #3095695 - 09/05/04 04:40 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Well it seems tha tI am not the only one to dry shrooms under moderate heat and find no diff. I think the harmful te mp must be around 140 deegs or more.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3095827 - 09/05/04 05:37 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I tried similar tests. Dried a few ounces with desiccant. Dried a few with a dehydrator. After selling both and getting wonderful comments on both and after tests done on myself, no potency loss was noted. 1.5 grams was still plenty. Dehydrator doesnt get THAT hot. (110ish I'd say) and shrooms are dried between 2 and 24 hours (for the REALLY big stubborn ones at the top since the top tray is the thickest). Two dehydrators dry 4 pounds of fresh mushies in that time. So far this is the fastest way I have found (I've tried fan drying, epsom salts, calcium cloride, and deydrator). If I am losing potency then these guys are good enough that they wont tell me so f it, I'm pumping out shrooms and everyone is happy with them :shrug:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Drying with oven? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3095848 - 09/05/04 05:44 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yup I found exactly the samething dude. so when I hear newbees complaing about no cash,which by the way is just fine, I get a litle upset when they are told " YOU MUST GET A DESSECANT CHAMBER AND ANYTHING ELSE WILL FUCK YOUR SHROOMS"

Total bullshit.

A dessecant chamber is for those type of people who want the perfect shroom. I tosted my dessicant years ago.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag