Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

An Incubaitor everybody already has
    #3089944 - 09/04/04 12:09 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I just though I might share this with you all.....

Once when I needed a incubator for my jars. I didn't have any cash that week and my jars wern't going to wait. What to do......???

I didn't have a tub or a fish tank heater. Shit that set up can cost 30 bucks or more. No biggie but, everybody has got x-mas lights and a cooler

Go to where you keep the x-mas shit. Dig out a string a 25 lights, the small ones. Now find a camping cooler, I had a 48 quart.

Now just stack all your jars in the bottom. Lay a cover over the jars. I used a towel.

Then string the lights accross the top of cooler. Close the lid .I started with 12 lights but, I ended up with 17 lights to have 86 degs. temps. :grin:

You adjust temps by how many light bulbs are in the cooler. :thumbup:
The best thing about this hot box was the amount of jars a person can stack in there.

This works great. One big warning!!!!!! If you get to many lights in the cooler the temps will climb to high very fast. Like in 3-5 min.

So becarful and accurate with your temp measurments.

As a matter of fact I liked this so much I now use a space heater in a hall closet for a incubator :thumbup:

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

Loc: QLD, Australia
Re: An Incubaitor everybody already has [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3090026 - 09/04/04 12:25 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

hahaha sounds like a good idea!, the ideal christmas present :thumbup: :cool: :cool:

--------------------

Offlinedonkey_lipz
journeyman
    #3090153 - 09/04/04 01:24 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

that also kicks ass because you can use those lights to initiating fruiting.

Offlinerocknliam
happy willowdweller
 User Gallery

#3090222 - 09/04/04 02:15 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah great idea, but the fire hazard is present.

InvisibleWildman
Resident of TheHouse of Jack
Re: An Incubaitor everybody already has [Re: rocknliam]
    #3090655 - 09/04/04 09:13 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

That's a definite fire hazard. And just a word of advice, letting the water level get too low in an incubator set up with double Rubbermaids and a fish heater is a fire hazard as well. Be safe, everyone.
Wildman

Offlineherby
Re: An Incubaitor everybody already has [Re: Wildman]
    #3090672 - 09/04/04 09:25 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

How could u prevent a firehazard?

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: An Incubaitor everybody already has [Re: rocknliam]
    #3090720 - 09/04/04 09:46 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I figure if you can pack 4,000 lights onto a x-mas tree in 4 million homes then 15 lights in a cooler can't be that bad.

I have used a x-mas light in a cooler as an incubator for atleast 5 years. Never once had any problems. Thoses little x-mas lights are designed to take close quarters.

I am not saying fire isn't possiable just not likely.Just use common sense and dont allow any lights to touch anything other then the lid.

But my biggest reason for using lights and a cooler is the number of jars a person can keep warm in such a small space. In a tub in tub with water heater how many can you fit in there....12,15,18 mabey 20  But you can fitt 60-80 jars in a big cooler. Shit many more will fitt in one of those party coolers.  If I had to incubate say 96 jars it would take 4 water heaters and 8 tubs and a whole bedroom to lay them out. :tongue: Well mabey that is a slight strech of the truth. But you all get the idea.

But after using a small space heater in the hall closet. I can now do hunderds of jars if I want. :thumbup:

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #3092077 - 09/04/04 04:48 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Fucknuckle said:
I figure if you can pack 4,000 lights onto a x-mas tree in 4 million homes then 15 lights in a cooler can't be that bad.

A lot of homes burn down every year also. I've read that christmas tree lights are one of the biggest fire hazzards ever.

I don't mean to diss your idea... But if you don't have the time/money to build a proper incubator then just don't use one.

Incubators will only shave a couple days off incubation time. Burning down your house just to save a few days seems like a very, very bad tradeoff to me.

People seem to have incubators on the brain these days.

I incubator'ed long before incubators were cool... And now that incubating is cool... I'm here to tell you that they're not that cool.

Noobs would do well to pay attention to the old ways and forget about all the complicated stuff until their later grows.

There was just a thread about a noob that burned up his entire crop because he decided to use an untested incubator. People should take his hard learned lesson to heart.

All that said, I'm sure you can make a decent and safe incubator out of christmas lights, but frankly I doubt it's worth it unless you actually do a good job and make something you are going to use repeatedly.

-FF

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: An Incubaitor everybody already has [Re: fastfred]
    #3092142 - 09/04/04 05:19 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Didn't you read my post???
I have been using this set up for 5 years for many ,many jars.
I simply posted this thread to show a good way to building an incubator in 5 min without spending any cash.

And to say that an incubator only adds a few days to colinization really shows how much you are talking bullshit AGAIN

Fastfred how can you say that??? I have full quart jars that go 100% in 10-12 days everytime using an incubator. If I don't it can take 4 weeks at 72 degs. The difference between Myc. growing at 75 degs and 86 degs. is more than doubled.

--------------------

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

#3092242 - 09/04/04 05:46 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

He's just saying it's present, and it's not that good of a trade off if you feel the risk of a fire is large enough. But something like a heavy duty plastic cooler probably isn't too apt to catch fire from a few christmas lights, but I definitely see what he means. When I first started growing I had a nigger-rigged incubator too and I always unplugged it when I wasn't around to semi-monitor it, just for that reason, because you never do know. That was with a styrofoam cooler, so who knowwsss.

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: An Incubaitor everybody already has [Re: ImOver18]
    #3092255 - 09/04/04 05:51 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

First of all I didn't Nigger RIG it.

I am a nigger

--------------------

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3092258 - 09/04/04 05:53 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Fucknuckle said:
Didn't you read my post???
I have been using this set up for 5 years for many ,many jars.

I did read it. I wasn't trying to criticize your method. I was just trying to point out that if you are going to use this method it would be good to build a nice permanent setup, which would reduce fire risk. Just throwing some lights in there without mounting them or anything probably isn't the safest setup.

Quote:

And to say that an incubator only adds a few days to colinization really shows how much you are talking bullshit AGAIN

"Few" was probably a poor choice. I should have said several days to a week (possibly two). I realize that's quite a change from what I said, but I was thinking about much shorter cycles.

Quote:

Fastfred how can you say that??? I have full quart jars that go 100% in 10-12 days everytime using an incubator. If I don't it can take 4 weeks at 72 degs. The difference between Myc. growing at 75 degs and 86 degs. is more than doubled.

I guess you are right, I should have considered the numbers more. I would say a 50% increase in growth rate is possible. I was thinking more along the lines of petri dishes and/or shorter cycles.

With grain and liquid innoc I usually get 100% colonization in about 7 days. Without incubation they took about 2-2.5 weeks... so I guess my figuring was off quite a bit. Thanks for calling me on that. Sometimes my sense of time isn't so good.

Still, my point is basically the same. Incubation can cut your colonizing time about in half, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter because the fruiting period is still longer than the incubation period, so there isn't much advantage beyond the first crop.

Having a temperature drop from the incubator to the fruiting chamber is helpfull, but not required.

Thanks again for busting my bullshit... It helps me as much, if not more, than it helps others.

That brings up another good point... Always date your jars! Too often I'm guilty of writing a cryptic number on the jars and then losing track of time.

-FF

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3092269 - 09/04/04 05:55 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

It's cool, atleast we are on track to healthy communication.

Just remember what this thread was showing....A way for sombody to set up an incubator without spending cash.

--------------------

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3092383 - 09/04/04 06:31 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I picked up some christmas lights at goodwill (a thrift store) at around $2 for a bunch.

Anyway, I've built some heating units that are just plain scary. Christmas lights are WAY safer than some of the stuff I made.

I've nigga rigged several heaters and even a hot air popcorn popper for use in small areas. Despite the fact that I consider myself an expert in constructing and modifying things, very few of the devices I ever made were even close to being safe. That's why I'm a little over-cautious when it comes to heating devices.

I've been lucky, the devices of mine that failed usually just ended up stopping working rather than bursting into flame.

-FF

Offlinecurious4
    #3092956 - 09/04/04 09:05 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

is 86-88f to hot for incubation?

Offlinewds
another brick

Loc: Mother Earth
    #3092966 - 09/04/04 09:09 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Fucknuckle said:
First of all I didn't Nigger RIG it.

I am a nigger

wouldn't that mean that every rig you do is a nig-rig?

just kidding with you, please don't take offense.  :tongue:

--------------------
I wish psychedelic mushrooms were legal, because I would like to indulge in this amazing fruit of the earth. Unfortunately, I can only learn about this interesting hobby, and cultivate legal mushrooms.

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: An Incubaitor everybody already has [Re: curious4]
    #3092971 - 09/04/04 09:10 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

No 86 degs is prime temps

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #3094124 - 09/05/04 04:36 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Everybody please keep this thread on topic and flame free.

Thank you!

Invisiblecricket
Lord Cricket
Male User Gallery

Loc: in my house, in front of ...
    #3094300 - 09/05/04 07:11 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Stay away from X-mas lights. They are made to be disposable now a days. Even the ones with built in fuses have over heated and caught fire.
The best "free" incubater I have ever used was a plain cardboard box.
Set it on your water heater or VCR. In the summer just stick it in any room without air conditioning.

--------------------
I tried to leave my signature but it didn't work...
By the way... Does anybody know how to get sharpie markers off of a computer screen?

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: An Incubaitor everybody already has [Re: cricket]
    #3094775 - 09/05/04 11:32 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Well I don't know if setting a cardboard box on top of a big flaming pot of water is any better??????

To many people have been bashing the idea of my set up???

I have benn using it for 5 frikin years, been thru dozens of x-mas lights. Never had a problem not once other than burned out blubs.

Lets us remember what this is for. It is for the person with no cash to spend and can make a very good incubator with stuff I know everyone has.
And that is the point- A INCUBATOR EVRYBODY ALREADY HAS.

If after they harvest cash and want to spend 30 bucks and build a hot water box to incubate 16 jars they can or they can do like I do and incubate 60 jars in the same space. And then just get a space heater in the closet and mabey incubate 4,000 jars if they want. and by the way the closet with the space heater????Also makes a great place to dry shrooms out.

Yeah I know sombody is going to say " hey by drying shrooms with low heat you will lower the potency"" Bullshit It aint true. I think it would take temps over 180 degs before any damage was done. I am only exposing the shrooms to 86 deg dry heat for 12 hous or so.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale