Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Syrian Rue

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Meth cooks caught pink-handed
    #3091046 - 09/04/04 01:37 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040823.gthaymethaug23/BNStory/Technology/

Meth cooks caught pink-handed

By ROXANA HEGEMAN
Associated Press Writer

WICHITA, Kan. ? It may fall a shade shy of catching thieves red-handed, but for farmers fed up with methamphetamine cooks filching their fertilizer, staining them pink will do just fine.

Assuming you can discourage thieves you cannot easily catch, a new product called GloTell ? which is added to tanks of anhydrous ammonia ? will not only besmirch the hands of those who touch the fertilizer, but leaves its mark on anyone who snorts or shoots the end product.

GloTell is already proving to be a handy deterrent, but there were details to be worked out between its birth as a farmer's brainstorm and finished product.

The additive had to withstand the cold, corrosive nature of anhydrous ammonia. It had to be safe for the environment, safe for crops and even safe around children.

And in the two years it took to develop GloTell, researchers at Southern Illinois University-Carbondale found it did much more than just stain thieves pink.

The visible stain, even if washed off, was still detectable by ultraviolet light 24 to 72 hours later. As an added benefit, the additive helped farmers detect any tank leaks, said Truitt Clements, spokesman for Illinois-based GloTell Distributors LLC.

Best of all, the treated anhydrous ammonia rendered any meth it was used to make extremely difficult to dry and turned it an unbleachable pink, he said.

"Most people that are drug users, they like a clean-looking drug if they are going to ... put it in their body," Mr. Clements said. "We know the end-product is not pretty at all."

Snort it, and it turns the nose fluorescent pink. Inject it, and the telltale pink shows up at the injection site, he said.

During product testing, GloTell was added to anhydrous ammonia tanks at farms that had been having problems with meth thefts in Illinois, Kentucky and Indiana, Clements said. Within a week, the thefts stopped.

On Tuesday, GloTell was unveiled at the Illinois State Fair.

Virginia-based Royster-Clark Inc. plans to sell it at nearly 250 of its outlets around the United States under an exclusive distribution agreement with GloTell, said Lori Ann Peters, a spokeswoman for Royster-Clark.

"The meth problem is not a problem that affects only families of people addicted, it plagues entire communities," Ms. Peters said.

The meth problem is especially bad in rural states like Kansas, which ranks among the top five meth-producing states in the nation, said Kyle Smith, spokesman for the Kansas Bureau of Investigation.

"Meth is our Number One problem ? and has been for several years now," he said.

In 2003, there were 649 meth labs were seized in Kansas, compared to four labs seized in 1994, according to KBI statistics.

Anhydrous ammonia is especially dangerous to use in meth production ? it can burn lungs, cause explosions and chemical burns, he said. Meth makers will likely turn to other meth production methods if GloTell use becomes widespread.

"Even if it pushes them to use a different methodology, that is good ... It has to be demonstrated to me first. I hope it works, but we have to see," Mr. Smith said.

Mr. Clements said the additive will likely add about $9 (U.S.) per ton to the cost of anhydrous ammonia, which now costs about $240 a ton.

To deal with the problem of meth thefts, some states have passed laws requiring locks on anhydrous ammonia tanks ? with limited success.

Iowa State University has also been working on an additive that would make anhydrous ammonia unusable for meth production. That product may debut next year, said Harriet Wegmeyer, spokeswoman for the Fertilizer Institute, an industry trade group.

"All farmers want to do is go out and produce their crops and raise their families and do the best job they can," Mr. Clements said. "A lot of times they are fighting druggies and putting up fences and locks. They just want to go back to the production of agriculture."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineStonedShroom
OG shroomerite
 User Gallery

Re: Meth cooks caught pink-handed [Re: motaman]
    #3101089 - 09/06/04 11:53 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

good

tweakers are the lowest common denominator of junkies

--------------------
We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience.

We are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Meth cooks caught pink-handed [Re: StonedShroom]
    #3101899 - 09/07/04 03:41 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Funny, I say the same thing about pot smokers.

edit: by the way no, I dont use methamphetamine.

I think its a sort of clever idea. I mean, there are obviously reasons why its not right for them to do this.. but it will discourage cooks from stealing from farmers and it will discourage users from doing that dope.. but regardless the cooks are just going to find a new way to make their drugs.

Edited by Aneglakya (09/07/04 03:51 AM)

Anonymous

#3102590 - 09/07/04 11:47 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I think this is a pretty good deterrant, even though I don't agree with the motives behind it. It will only last until another precursor is available. Makes you wonder what exactly won't evaporate.

f this is going to happen to meth users then I hope pharm companies do it to the pill junkies too, no precursor problem there.

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
    #3103278 - 09/07/04 02:58 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

when that meth hits the club scene, everyone will be wanting the shit that makes you glow pink under the blacklight...

i can't think of a better marketing gimmick than glow in the dark drugs...

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Meth cooks caught pink-handed [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #3104267 - 09/07/04 06:40 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

MikeOLogical said:
when that meth hits the club scene, everyone will be wanting the shit that makes you glow pink under the blacklight...

i can't think of a better marketing gimmick than glow in the dark drugs...

I never thought of it that way. Now, lets just change the drug to something worth a shit. I wonder if they can make a bean that will cause my epidermis to glow bright blue and red alternatively in a strobe light like action.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

InvisibleKid_Orgo
 User Gallery

Loc: Hale-Bopp
Re: Meth cooks caught pink-handed [Re: Ekstaza]
    #3104302 - 09/07/04 06:46 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Harmaline is uv-active, and is secreted in sweat.

Wanna be a gatorade commercial?

--------------------
He was a cowboy in one of the seven days a week fights. No business, no hangout; no friends, nothing; just what you pick up and what you need.

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Meth cooks caught pink-handed [Re: Kid_Orgo]
    #3105426 - 09/07/04 10:04 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Kid: Have you ever bioassayed, then checked your sweat for glowability? This sounds like a fun experiment.

--------------------

Onlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Loc: all this Flag
Re: Meth cooks caught pink-handed [Re: Aneglakya]
    #3105589 - 09/07/04 10:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Poke smot has :smile:

--------------------

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Meth cooks caught pink-handed [Re: Kid_Orgo]
    #3105787 - 09/07/04 11:15 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Kid_Orgo said:
Harmaline is uv-active, and is secreted in sweat.

Yeah I found that one out the hard way.

After an afternoon of powderizing and capsuling syrian rue, I went toa night club and discovered that my hands were glowing yellow/green under the black lights. My friends were all like "WTF?" and I had to make up some crazy excuse.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Meth cooks caught pink-handed [Re: Ekstaza]
    #3106185 - 09/08/04 12:39 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I recall shulgins announcement that harmala alkaloids where active ala UV. I hear liquid extracts are fun as fuck to play with under black light.. Not to mention the fact that they look really trippy, they ARE really trippy. Profesional Yogi's are known to naturally have higher amounts of Harmala alkaloids synthesized indogenously in their pineal glands.. I bet their Aura is very UV active :wink:

Harmala extract is also a Dye. They used it to dye Carpets.... Think about it.. Psychedelic Carpets.. died with psychedelic dye.. The Flying Carpet ride.. Some scholars believe that this is where that myth originated.. the workers using dyes made from Esphand would have mystical and hallucinogenic experiences while producing the Rugs/Carpets and this is how this idea was birthed... Its very easy and extremely cheap to create large amounts of diluted, liquid harmala extract. It would be nice to paint a room, do art, or even paint your body in this psychoactive glowing liquid.. Maybe you could add some DMSO and have painting parties in a rave like setting..  the harmala would transdermally be obsorbed into your blood stream and you would be glowing.. massive group meditation alien glowing rave...

okay, i'm sorry to get that off topic. I'm going to post this in the Ethnobotanical garden too just because its a fascinating subject. Anyone who would like to join in please visit us up there.

--------------------

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Meth cooks caught pink-handed [Re: Aneglakya]
    #3106205 - 09/08/04 12:45 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

okay here is a discussion about harmala for those interested...

Mikeological, I like your attititude.. I think it would really make a statement to see all these Pink Nosed Tweakers.. Its sort of a cevil protest, Walk around with your pink nose held high. Take pride in the pussy pink veins that are emerging off your junkie swiss cheeze arms!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Syrian Rue

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service