Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Fred's son

Loc: Dominican Republic
The Smell of Panic
    #3090730 - 09/04/04 11:53 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I've been reading a lot more of the politically oriented blogs the last few months. Some of them are better than others, obviously. But some of them have people capable of making some darn astute observations.

Here's an excerpt from a blogger I've just been reading for a short time. A lot of what he says seems accurate:

Kerry has two problems.

His first problem is his liberal Democratic base. My current pet theory is that both sides of the political aisle have become somewhat radicalized by the twin political shocks of impeachment and the Florida recount, and that partisans in both camps have overly personalized politics. Many of us (myself included) are now cheering on political parties as if they were sports franchises, and we live and fall with each victory and each defeat, just like a dedicated football fanatic might (myself, again, included).

And we're not just cheering to cheer; we all of us now have some personal stake in all of this nonsense. We're not just looking to win elections, but to win arguments, arguments this nation has been having now for ten years. The arguments never get settled, but we're always hoping the next victory will finally give us the personal vindication we're looking for.

At any rate: Kerry's supporters don't just want him to win. They now have an emotional need for him to win, and furthermore, they don't just have an emotional need for him to win the election-- they have an emotional need for him to vindicate them by humiliating Bush and finally proving they were right on Iraq/Impeachment all along.

The problem is that these people are misprioritizing, especially from Kerry's viewpoint. They want validation; he just wants to win a freaking election. They are demanding that he do certain things -- like call Bush AWOL and Cheney a draft-dodger, and, you know, actually announce a clear and coherent position on Iraq -- that help their cause but not necessarily Kerry's.

And furthermore, since there is emotion riding on the outcome, Kerry could easily be turned on by his supporters the moment he seems to falter. They picked him as their candidate not because they liked Kerry or his policies (whatever they are) but because they hated Bush and wanted Bush humiliated before the world as the AWOLiarThiefWarCriminalFascist he is. They picked Kerry because they thought he'd make a good champion; whether or not he'd make a good ruler is something of an afterthought. [emphasis by pinky]

The only thing holding them to Kerry's side is the belief that he can win. When that belief fails, so does their loyalty.

And if it looks like Kerry can't deliver them the delicious vindication they crave, they will turn on him. We won't have recriminations; there won't be time for that. We'll have precriminations, starting in October.

The other problem Kerry has is simpler: Kerry does not perform well when challenged. He can perform adequately, if unremarkably, so long as he's ahead/winning; when he's losing, he acts, talks, and looks like a punch-drunk corpse dripping with sweaty desperation. Some men can portray a winning optimism whatever the circumstances; Kerry isn't one of them.

It's way to early to say "it's over" or any of that. But a big key to Kerry's strategy was to get ahead and stay ahead. Once behind, he becomes a bad candidate with supporters whose anger at him is only surpassed by their anger at the Bushcreature.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: The Smell of Panic [Re: Phred]
    #3091250 - 09/04/04 02:33 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

#3091265 - 09/04/04 02:37 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

whether or not he'd make a good ruler is something of an afterthought.

Whether deliberate or not, the use of the word 'ruler' is indicative of the disastrous state our country is in and is heading.

?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

Son Of God
    #3091298 - 09/04/04 02:46 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I agree with the sentiments. I can see why people would support Kerry given their intense hatred of Bush. But once it becomes evident that Kerry can't win they will have absolutely no use for the imbecile.

That was interesting.

Tastes just like chicken

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion