Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDigitalDuality
enthusiast

Libertarian, Green party candidates to debate in New York
    #3084215 - 09/02/04 06:40 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I know this is old news.. but is there video of this anywhere? If so, I'd love to obtain it somehow.

Americans who are interested in a real political debate instead of a canned political convention will get it on Tuesday when the Libertarian and Green candidates for president square off in New York, right down the street from the Republican National Convention.

"Anyone who's not interested in the Republicans' weeklong yawn-a-thon is invited to attend a real, no-holds-barred political debate between two candidates with starkly different political views," said Fred Collins, manager of the Badnarik for President campaign.

"The Libertarians and the Greens will have the kind of robust political debate that the American people deserve, but won't get, from the two older parties."

Libertarian Michael Badnarik and Green Party candidate David Cobb have confirmed that they will attend the event at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Sts. Cyril and Methodius Church in Manhattan. The debate will be moderated by Walt Kane of News 12 New Jersey and Robert Richie of the Center for Voting and Democracy.

The third-party debate will be dramatically different from the upcoming Bush-Kerry debates in several respects, Collins said.

* All viable candidates have been invited.

"Because we believe all legitimate, third-party candidates who will be on the ballot in a significant number of states should be included, we've invited independent Ralph Nader and Constitution Party candidate Michael Peroutka as well as George Bush and John Kerry," Collins said. "The fact is that third-party candidates often air views that the Democratic and Republican parties don't want the American people to hear, which is why it's so important to include them."

* Questions from the audience will be permitted.

"Unlike the staged, scripted Bush-Kerry debates, members of the audience will be allowed to grill the candidates without interference from screeners or party flacks," Collins said. "Shouldn't anyone who aspires to be president be able to handle questions from ordinary Americans?"

* The audience will see a clear choice between the candidates.

"Bush and Kerry march in lock-step on so many issues that their so-called 'debate' will be like listening to an echo chamber," Collins said. "Both favor dramatically expanding the size, power and cost of government, continuing the war in Iraq and using the September 11 attacks as an excuse to subvert freedom.

"Badnarik and Cobb, however, will lay out starkly different visions of the proper role of the federal government, with the Green favoring a mix of expanded civil liberties and expanded government, and the Libertarian taking a principled stand in favor of less government across the board.

"That's the debate that the two major parties don't want voters to hear, and it's why Bush and Kerry will be missing in action on Tuesday."

Admission to the debate is free, with open public seating available.

A fundraiser for the Libertarian and Green parties is scheduled to begin at 5:30 p.m., with a press conference to begin at 6 p.m.

Admission to the fundraiser event and press conference is $50, and those who attend these earlier events will be given preferred seating for the debate, said Badnarik campaign debate coordinator Donald Meinshausen, who organized the event in conjunction with the Green Party's campaign team.

"Americans are tired of cowardly, limited debates between the two major parties," Meinshausen said. "We hope to show the media through these debates that they heard more ideas being discussed in a radical -- yet rational -- way by the Libertarians and the Greens than they heard in debates between Republicans and Democrats."
http://www.lp.org/lpnews/0410/debate1.html

Edited by DigitalDuality (09/02/04 06:41 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

Re: Libertarian, Green party candidates to debate in New York [Re: DigitalDuality]
    #3084494 - 09/02/04 08:17 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

*This will air on C-Span Sunday.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

Anonymous

Re: Libertarian, Green party candidates to debate in New Yor [Re: Ancalagon]
    #3084501 - 09/02/04 08:20 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

thanks.

Offlinethieverycorp
Stranger

Loc: Texas
Re: Libertarian, Green party candidates to debate in New Yor [Re: ]
    #3084677 - 09/02/04 09:06 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Why don't the Libertarians conduct a more visible campaign? I know that there are a good many Libertarians out there that could do some very effective fund raising, but I never see a Libertarian commercial and rarely hear anything about them on the news or in print... I honestly think that many people would support them more if they presented an image that made them look like they were atleast trying to get elected...
just wondering...
TC

--------------------

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

Re: Libertarian, Green party candidates to debate in New Yor [Re: thieverycorp]
    #3084726 - 09/02/04 09:16 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

thieverycorp said:
Why don't the Libertarians conduct a more visible campaign? I know that there are a good many Libertarians out there that could do some very effective fund raising, but I never see a Libertarian commercial and rarely hear anything about them on the news or in print... I honestly think that many people would support them more if they presented an image that made them look like they were atleast trying to get elected...
just wondering...
TC

They are doing their best. The main problem is ballot access laws. Restrictive laws set up by the democrats and republicans in each state require that an already under-funded(as compared to the major party candidates) libertarian campaign to allocate a vast amount of their already limited funds to simply get a name on the ballot. On top of this, their seems to be a complete national-media blackout of non-Nader third party candidates. I think that purely as a matter of effort and work, Michael Badnarik looks like he's trying to get elected moreso than both George Bush and John Kerry. Check out the schedule on his website...anywhere from 2 to 14 radio interviews per day, multiple fundraisers, non-stop travel.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?

Offlinethieverycorp
Stranger

Re: Libertarian, Green party candidates to debate in New Yor [Re: Ancalagon]
    #3084733 - 09/02/04 09:17 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Let me ask you this, do you think he will get elected this year?

--------------------

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

#3084878 - 09/02/04 09:49 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

thieverycorp said:
Let me ask you this, do you think he will get elected this year?

No.

--------------------

InvisibleCRAZYFUKR
STRANGER THANSTRANGE

Loc: SOUTHLAND
    #3084938 - 09/02/04 10:00 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

but thats not the point. you gotta think long haul. buush is going to win my state hands down so i am going to vote lib. if a third party garners at least 5% of the vote they are supposed to get into the debates the next go round. then they would have a say that people would actually have the opportunity to hear them.

Offlinethieverycorp
Stranger

Re: Libertarian, Green party candidates to debate in New Yor [Re: CRAZYFUKR]
    #3084965 - 09/02/04 10:05 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

How long is the haul though?

--------------------

InvisibleCRAZYFUKR
STRANGER THANSTRANGE

Loc: SOUTHLAND
    #3084996 - 09/02/04 10:10 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

that i cannot say but if enough people have faith in a third or even a fourth party it may not take as long as you might think. you of course know that real change will never come in a two party system. more people will eventually figure this out. i hope.

OfflineDigitalDuality
enthusiast

Re: Libertarian, Green party candidates to debate in New Yor [Re: DigitalDuality]
    #3085114 - 09/02/04 10:35 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I'll donate to Libs and Greens. I'll even vote local elections for these two parties.

But presidential election.. sorry, not taking the chance at Bush winning. The french guy gets my vote.

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Libertarian, Green party candidates to debate in New Yor [Re: DigitalDuality]
    #3085152 - 09/02/04 10:44 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I'm it'll be a VERY interesting debate. Those two parties are so fundamentally opposed to each other (well at least on economics and the role of government) it should be thought provoking to watch.

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

#3090589 - 09/04/04 08:29 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Monday, September 6 - On C-SPAN at 1pm ET
Debate Between Green Party Presidential Nominee David Cobb and Libertarian Party Presidential Nominee Michael Badnarik

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1