Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMESCALATO
hunting.
 User Gallery

Loc: Central Alabama
blue bruising bolet. (pic's)
    #3090496 - 09/04/04 07:10 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

found in central Alabama, growing from a dead whisteria (sp?) vine.

any ideas as to what kind of bolet this is? and are any of the bluing bolets deadly, or are they just toxic? and no i dont want to eat it.  :tongue:

hope you like the pics.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineI2ancid
josh hartnett,movie star actor
 User Gallery

Loc: psycholand
Re: blue bruising bolet. (pic's) [Re: MESCALATO]
    #3090516 - 09/04/04 07:30 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, isent it amazing how similar it bruises in comparison to cubes and other actives? sneaky fucker

OfflineGrapefruity
Lawn Gnome
    #3090557 - 09/04/04 07:58 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Woah! This mushroom is so beautiful!

Looks like it's made out of plastic or something.

Cool pics  :smile:

Invisiblekoraks
    #3091772 - 09/04/04 03:15 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

MESCALATO said:
any ideas as to what kind of bolet this is?

I think it's boletus rubellus.

Quote:

and are any of the bluing bolets deadly, or are they just toxic?

I don't know of deadly boletes. Boletus rubellus (which bruises blue like your specimen) is edible as are some other blue-bruising boletes. Other blue-bruisers are toxic, however. Blue bruising doesn't appear to be related to edibility in boletes.

Quote:

hope you like the pics.

Yep, they're really nice!

OfflineNextKind
Cannabinoid

#3092611 - 09/04/04 07:40 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I found one today also, but the cap was under an inch in diameter

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #3093013 - 09/04/04 09:20 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

In general, the poisonous boletes are regarded as causing gastrointestinal distress, not lethal. I am aware of one poisoning by a bolete (Boletus satanas) that apprently caused a death. That poisoning case is unusual enough that the species is still not considered to be lethal.

For an accurate ID, we need a bit more info:

When you scratch the tubes, does it bruise blue immediately or take at least several seconds?

Look very closely at the cap surface, and also rub it with a fingertip. Is it slimy or sticky, or is it velvety?

Is the stem less than 12mm thick where it joins with the cap? How big across is the cap on the largest specimen you found?

Are there tiny cracks in the surface of the cap?

If you cut it in half, does the inside flesh stain blue instantly or does it take at least a few seconds?

If you can find an old specimen, what color does the cap surface become when the get old?

Unfortunately, there are a bunch of Boletus species that somewhat resemble your specimen. The answers to the above questions will help get the list down to something more reasonable.

koraks - Boletus rubellus is indeed probably the most likely candidate. The speed at which the flesh in the stem turns blue when exposed to the air will be an important feature for verification, along with whether the cap has or develops tiny cracks in the surface as it ages, and the size of the mushroom.

Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #3093666 - 09/05/04 12:17 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I found a bolete just like(well, close) that one:

InvisibleMESCALATO
hunting.
 User Gallery

Re: blue bruising bolet. (pic's) [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3094301 - 09/05/04 07:14 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

>When you scratch the tubes, does it bruise blue immediately or take at least several seconds?

the brusie comes immediately after it is damaged, it's like touch it then it's blue.

>Look very closely at the cap surface, and also rub it with a fingertip. Is it slimy or sticky, or is it velvety?

the mushroom has allready been dried so i cannot tell

>Is the stem less than 12mm thick where it joins with the cap? How big across is the cap on the largest specimen you found?

the stem was less than 12mm thick and the cap was no moer than an inch across, a fairly small mushroom.

>Are there tiny cracks in the surface of the cap?

as far as i can remember the cap was smooth

>If you cut it in half, does the inside flesh stain blue instantly or does it take at least a few seconds?

instant.

>If you can find an old specimen, what color does the cap surface become when the get old?

the dried cap seems to be more of a dark marron color now.

Thanks every one for the help on the id.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #3100661 - 09/06/04 08:24 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The rapid blueing eliminates Boletus rubellus and points a bit more towards Boletus pseudosensibilis. For a certain ID we need a bit more info, and a fresh specimen for you to test would be desirable.

Although B. pseudosensibilis is listed as edible, it is also not recommended because of its close resemblance to poisonous species.

Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleMESCALATO
hunting.
 User Gallery

#3102133 - 09/07/04 05:33 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

thank you TM

if i run acroos another fresh one i will bump this thred and update it

thanks to every one with the help on the ID.

:thumbup:

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3102786 - 09/07/04 10:40 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Boletus cyanescens is also poisonous and there are three or four more species of bluing bolets which are toxic.

mj

And then there are the boletus mushrooms allegedly used ceremoniously by the Nonda in New Guinea highlands.

mj

Stearic acids are the components of that boletus which involvedd six species of Bopletes, 4 Heimiella's and 6 Rusulla species.

mj

Not much info on either since most articles all refer back tot he Heim and Wasson papers of the early 1960s or late 1950s.

mj

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder