Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
The universe is teeming with life, tons of it, really.
    #3090120 - 09/04/04 03:02 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i contend that the fact that the universe contains uncountable forms of life inhabiting innumerable worlds is obvious and easily proved, as far as my knowledge goes, and heres why

First, the universe is infinite in size and infinitly expanding. This means that their is an infinite number of planets out there.

Now lets say that one in ten thousand billion planets is inhabitable for life. Because there are an infinite number of planets, that oh so improbable one is gauranteed to occur more than a million times. In fact it will occur an infinite number of times.

This can be equated to one red marble in a bag of ten, or a thousand or whatever. Sure its improbable, but if marbles are CONSTANTLY and eternally being picked, the red one will show up again and again and again, although RELATIVELY few and far between.

Follow?

Of course this all relys on a belief in the space-time hypothesis, wich is itself an illusion, but if you do believe in space and time, and also and most importantly that the universe expands FOREVER, than the red ball, no matter HOW unlikely, has already been picked a billion plus times.

Am i right? id certainly like to hear where im wrong

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDankBluntZ
We know little
Loc: florida
Re: The universe is teeming with life, tons of it, really. [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3090126 - 09/04/04 03:06 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I agree with you i was talkin to my girl the other day about pretty much the same exact thing your talkin about. But then i also asked the question to myself and her, and to put it in your terms, what if we( our planet) are the first red marble? That would suck imo, cuz id like to know that there are all sorts of weird shit goin down in other planets just like ours...but if we were the first marble...weird...just weird.

OfflineBleaK
paradox
Re: The universe is teeming with life, tons of it, really. [Re: DankBluntZ]
    #3090221 - 09/04/04 04:15 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

IMHO;
the universe doesnt expand.
it IS.

to expand it must fill something; what does it fill? universe....

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

OfflineDankBluntZ
We know little
Loc: florida
Re: The universe is teeming with life, tons of it, really. [Re: BleaK]
    #3090249 - 09/04/04 04:28 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

What do you base this reasoning on?

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
    #3090309 - 09/04/04 05:10 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you. I wholeheartedly agree.

It is just another of mankinds fallacies to believe we are the sole and only.

But hey in this modern world most individuals think that the whole world rotates around them!

--------------------

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
Re: The universe is teeming with life, tons of it, really. [Re: Ego Death]
    #3090315 - 09/04/04 05:14 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I content that it is obvious that they have visited our planet. Don't ask why either because that too is obvious all you have to do is think about it from a 3rd person(?) perspective!

--------------------

OfflineAsanteA
light your candle on my love
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here - Right Now
    #3090441 - 09/04/04 07:55 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Now lets say that one in ten thousand billion planets is inhabitable for life. Because there are an infinite number of planets, that oh so improbable one is gauranteed to occur more than a million times. In fact it will occur an infinite number of times.

Ah but theres only a couple of atoms to pick from, and theres only a limited number of those recombined to form a lifeform, it's life.. This would mean that in an infinite universe with a finite number of recombination possibilities every possible recombination and sequence will re-occur into Infinity.

---eternal reincarnation into any possible life which you live into all infinity.

If thats what you mean we live in the same universe  :laugh:

If you look at this eternal flux you will notice that everything possible will at one time be present into every location.

This means that if you take away the boundaries of time that our universe is a point of infinite density which is infinitely large on the inside and infinitely small on the outside.

Thus our Universe IS a Black Hole, and the only thing that "moves" is a strand of Time which chisels out past, present and future from the Anything & All thats everywhere.
And guess what: the strand is a loop :smile:

I believe the Bayer Co. Aspirin branch will get a sales spike after this one.. it did when I posted this back in the day on 12 October 2031  :evil:

--------------------
CLICK ONE -->  :redpill:  :bluepill:  <-- GO PLACES
SEARCH ENGINE  SUPPORT TICKETS  STORE  SPONSORS/VENDORS  AMANI
PSYCHOSIS, SYNCHRONICITIES, SHAMANISM & THE SUPERNATURAL WA&F

From the Outcasts to the Incrowd, from the Clueless to the Helpful, it takes the whole Shroomery to help a n00b

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: The universe is teeming with life, tons of it, really. [Re: Asante]
    #3090450 - 09/04/04 08:06 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

"If you look at this eternal flux you will notice that everything possible will at one time be present into every location."

omni-presence?

peace

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

OfflineAsanteA
light your candle on my love
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here - Right Now
Re: The universe is teeming with life, tons of it, really. [Re: Todcasil]
    #3090465 - 09/04/04 08:31 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I call mine:  The Omnicyclic Universe Hypothesis but I enrich the Bayer Aspirin branch too much already :wink:

--------------------
CLICK ONE -->  :redpill:  :bluepill:  <-- GO PLACES
SEARCH ENGINE  SUPPORT TICKETS  STORE  SPONSORS/VENDORS  AMANI
PSYCHOSIS, SYNCHRONICITIES, SHAMANISM & THE SUPERNATURAL WA&F

From the Outcasts to the Incrowd, from the Clueless to the Helpful, it takes the whole Shroomery to help a n00b

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

#3090469 - 09/04/04 08:35 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The chance there is life everywhere is very high indeed.

We do not know how finite or infinite the universe is.

For sure, the energy is expanding, however, it has a boundery and everything outside it is a lack of energy, everything outside is pure nothing.

Also, everything is winding up rather than down as it spreads. Perhaps there is an invisable force at work speeding things up?

Either way, it is all too big for me to grasp for now, but life must exsist in a universe like ours, there is talk thses days about a multi-verse in the nothing outside our "unigverse space.

We are definately not the first life out here and senient life coud have even exsisted when the dinosaurs reigned and we would never know it.

www.space.com

--------------------
Agent 727

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
    #3090475 - 09/04/04 08:41 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Well who'se to say that the 'universe' isn't living itself?

Take the smallest thing that science 'knows' about - a quark. There is a vast amount of quarks within every proton, neutron and electron of every atom, and vast amounts of atoms within every cell, vast amounts of stars in each galaxy, etc. Now I'm not fully read up on the exact functionings of quarks, but I'm pretty sure that they emit some kind of vibrational frequency, at a very fast rate...basically 'energy'.

Now take the biggest thing that science 'knows' about...the universe. We do not know what is beyond the universe. Could this be the full loop? Could our universe be a quark in an atom in another universe? And could every quark in our universe have a universe within that, and so on, for infinity?

Maybe each quark (or universe, whatever you want to call it), is a warp in the space-time continum, essentially allowing space and time to exist out of the pure elements of reality (infinity and nothing). Imagine if each time a quark in this universe pulsated, that was the lifespan of its open universe and within each pulsation life arose, evolved, became conscious and was destroyed. And the entire lifespan of this universe - from the big-bang until whenever 'the end' is, was merely a pulse of a single quark in the next universe in the chain.

This is essentially a fractal model of space-time, and I know it sounds like a cliche tripper rant, but hey, who's to say it's not possible?

Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
Loc: Inguland
    #3090523 - 09/04/04 09:33 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The universe is probably not infinite. It is very big. It is probably topologically enclosed, ie a sphere, a donut, a horn, a saddle shape, and maybe some others I've forgotten.

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Re: The universe is teeming with life, tons of it, really. [Re: deafpanda]
    #3090633 - 09/04/04 11:02 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, but then theres always the case of whether or not there are more universes than just this one. (See my post above)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #3090667 - 09/04/04 11:23 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

yes. the universe is teeming with life. Intelligent and otherwise.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: The universe is teeming with life, tons of it, really. [Re: zee_werp]
    #3090670 - 09/04/04 11:25 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

according to some, there approximately 10 to the 43rd power number of creational universes in the absolutum. With several million or trillion galaxies in each universe. Nothing is known what is beyond the egg-shaped absolutum, as that is thought to be the original creation. Maybe there are other absolutums. That is not known yet.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: The universe is teeming with life, tons of it, really. [Re: Ego Death]
    #3090787 - 09/04/04 12:09 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I content that it is obvious that they have visited our planet.

I contend that this is intellectual dishonesty. Something "obvious" does not need to be high-lighted and brought forth. This type of statement is usually made by someone selling a point of view that is patently not obvious at all.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Re: The universe is teeming with life, tons of it, really. [Re: Shroomism]
    #3090973 - 09/04/04 01:12 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

How the heck did they come up with that absolutum theory? Who came up with it? I thought it was impossible to tell if anything existed outside of our universe at the present time...althought I wouldn't be surprised if there is...infact I'd be surprised if there isn't.

Offlinesandar
medium wheel

Loc: Washington
Re: The universe is teeming with life, tons of it, really. [Re: zee_werp]
    #3090989 - 09/04/04 01:17 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

This is essentially a fractal model of space-time, and I know it sounds like a cliche tripper rant, but hey, who's to say it's not possible?

Fractal and holographic models of the universe have been recurring ideas for me in every trip I've had. As far in or out as I can pull my perspective, everything seems to contain everything else.

Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot -- a very interesting book.

--------------------
The grass was juicier than ever, the days were bright, and the nights full of stars...

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #3090994 - 09/04/04 01:18 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Well personally I don't think our Universe is infinite in size, but I do agree that the existence of other Life in the Universe is a given. The size of the Universe, just the part that we can see, is phenomenal. The fact that we are here proves that Life is, at the least, a statistical possibility. It started elsewhere, and probably continues to start in new places.

--------------------
Like my post? Hit me up!
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#3091459 - 09/04/04 03:31 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Well one interesting angle to take is the recently (as in past two years) found existance of life that can survive in what we would consider extremely hostile conditions. They came up with a terminology to describe the catagorey this life would be in, but I forgot what it was. Maybe someone could help me out here if they know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, it's very valid proof that there is life out there, and considering the size of the universe, infinite or not, there must be plenty of this type of life. I think the bigger question is, is there other civilized lifeforms out there? If I had to guess, I would say yes, but that's just a guess of course. It makes logical sense that there would be, but it's far, far from proved.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology