Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineC_Dog1
Stranger
B. anthracis contamination?
    #3089779 - 09/04/04 01:28 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hello you all! I have a quit question. I know that bacillus sp. can contaminate a cake, so I was wondering if Bacillus anthracis(anthrax) can do the same? I'm kind of conflicted about this because I'm sure B. anthracis could contaminate a cake, but if those endospores were present in your environment, wouldn't your person have become infected long before your cakes and/or fruiting bodies were?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineduncan8r
Scum

Loc: Syd, Australia
Re: B. anthracis contamination? [Re: C_Dog1]
    #3090096 - 09/04/04 02:53 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

hey C Dog

B.anthracis  can infect humans three ways, cutaneous (skin) gastrointestinal and inhalation. B.anthracis exists as a number of biovars (me thinks) with encapsulated, non encapsulated, toxin negative positive, there is a strain you can give to cattle for immunization (the ohm group sprayed this strain around japan unsuccessfully). I think that if its encapsulated and has multiple copies of the toxin plasmid its really bad! Until the 'anthrax letters' in America, the last case of inhalation anthrax was 1976. Cutaneous anthrax can occur if you work where spores exist (farms I spose) and the gastro version comes from eating contaminated meat [or so I've read].

"IF" the spores (a fair few and viable) were in the environment, protected from light, and kept dry then... maybe you might get infected (where are you?). If the spores were void of their parent bacteria's cell wall, and not attached to anything above 10um and a few were stirred up into the air you were breathing, well OK, yes. Your immune system still has something to say about it and it can also take up to 60 days for the spores to germinate and the cause being identified.

If your cakes are contaminated with anything, chuck them out! But I would imagine that  B.anthracis is a very low risk working with mushshrooms.

Please don't take anything I say as gospel...im no expert.
hope this helps dog :wink:

--------------------
Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer. --Dave Barry

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: B. anthracis contamination? [Re: C_Dog1]
    #3090951 - 09/04/04 01:06 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I don't quite understand your question. Are you asking whether anthracis *can* colonize a cake? If you're asking about the health situation, certainly if you get B. anthracis taking over jars you're not in the best environment!
This organism isn't going to do very well on grain relative to other Bacillus spp. While anthracis can be isolated from the environment, other Bacillus are invariably in higher numbers. Until recently, it was thought that anthracis actually needed a mammalian host to make more of itself. Some folks recently got anthracis to grow and sporulate in a soil sample, and their success was noteworthy. This organism is not a risk to the mushroom cultivator, in any case.

OfflineC_Dog1
Stranger
Re: B. anthracis contamination? [Re: Suntzu]
    #3105409 - 09/07/04 10:02 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

What is up Suntzu and duncan8r! Thank you both for responding to my post. I'm just a Layman when it comes to magic mycology, so forgive me if my question was a bit ignorant. From what I got from your replies is that it is unlikely that anthrax is a contamination threat. I just assumed that B.anthracis could potentially contaminate a cake considering it is in the same genus as Bacillus spp. Also, I wasn't trying to pull a Bush and scare anyone by asking this question. One last thing before I go. In one of the replies I was asked where I lived because the spores have a better chance of germinating(I think) if the cake is in a dry dark environment. I live in the desert and the jars are kept in a dark spot. Should I change this setup in the future somehow? I hope that made sense to you all. Anywho, have a shroomrific night/day!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum