Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Anonymous

Can't help but think
    #3089134 - 09/03/04 08:03 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Most people here are aware, I'm sure, of the concepts of introvert and extrovert. Your being one or the other depends on your focus of awareness. An introvert's focus of awareness is inside themself, whereas an extrovert's focus of awareness is outside themself. They experience reality slightly differently because of this. I don't think anyone is one or the other 100% of the time, but there is an inherent tendency in each person to be one or the other as a 'default.'

Now, I can't help but think... that introverts are inherently selfish because of this. If their focus is inward this would mean they are thinking constantly about only themselves and rarely other people (which as an introvert myself I can attest to). However, thinking about all the people I've ever known (and of course this is a generalization), the extroverts tend to have bigger egos than introverts. How can this be?

Another, perhaps better question: is it possible, through certain mental exercises, to shift one's focus of awareness inward or outward permanently? In other words, can an introvert become an extrovert or vice versa and change their default tendency?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Re: Can't help but think [Re: ]
    #3089191 - 09/03/04 08:14 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

there's no difference in selfishness, introverts turn inward, extroverts turn outwards for what they want.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #3089266 - 09/03/04 08:34 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Introverted is not a variable of selfishness. Think of existence as an infinitely expansive X. You perceive yourself as the infinitely small intersection of the two lines. Behind is the illusion of internal, ahead is the illusion of external. From this intersection radiates a circle of perception that can float freely foward or backwards, introvertly or extrovertly. The truth is though - you are the entire X. Scale is only subjective.

--------------------

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #3089328 - 09/03/04 08:55 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Read the book "The Introvert Advantage", which explains this amongst many other intricacies of Introvert psychology.

I rate it 5 stars.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Offlinefungis_eata
strangerrrr
Loc: neverland
    #3089623 - 09/03/04 10:47 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Well if what you say is true, I myself, am more on the introvert side, yet I search for ways to help others so much that I become completly selfless sometimes. It's quite complicated.
My beleifs are to know thy self, help others as often as possible, and do your best at whatever your doing; and thats the best you can do. Unconditional love for all living things, mother nature included.
Although sometimes, most of the time, I'm so introverted that I won't give anyone a chance to get to know me and won't give a shit about getting to know them.

There is a possibility that I'm just one fucked up individual but I see alot in myself but won't let other people know that.
I'm a left-handed, right-brain thinking Aries living in the preasant time (which to me is a VERY special time to be living in). My name also translates to: gift of God.

I'm sure some of you will understand what I mean by how great it is to experience life at this point in time.
I hate the fact that there is so much war going on in the world but when out kingdoms are all destroied, I beleive something following the rules of evolution will occur resulting in world peace..............if someone doesn't blow the planet to shit resulting in a world wide extinction of all living things. Even if that does happen, I still beleive it will be beautiful after a period of reconstruction.

So, what do you have to say about that?

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Can't help but think [Re: fungis_eata]
    #3090089 - 09/04/04 12:50 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

the way ive heard it described, its just about where you draw most of your energy.

Do you get more 'charged' from solitary rest and contemplation, or do you draw of the crowd, and get stimulated by socializing?

introvert, extrovert. I dont think theres a relation to selfishness

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #3090347 - 09/04/04 03:49 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Max Headroom said:
Another, perhaps better question: is it possible, through certain mental exercises, to shift one's focus of awareness inward or outward permanently? In other words, can an introvert become an extrovert or vice versa and change their default tendency?

Indeed it is possible. :laugh:

A person who is an introvert is usually lacking a lot of experience of situations where they are in contact with a variety of people and situations. An extrovert probably didn't get a lot of time to themselves and their thoughts. Slowly exposing an introvert into situations with a lot of external interactions, if they are willing to allow the change gradually (or swiftly, depending on their intent and focus), might open them up more. Its insanely more multi-faceted than this, and it all revolves around everyone's motivations, their preferences, etc. etc. etc. etc., and it can vary depending on what type of situation the person is in.

It just depends on the individual. :grin: I think a nice balance between the two, either all the time or in different situations, is definitely best. :wink:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Anonymous

Re: Can't help but think [Re: SpecialEd]
    #3091115 - 09/04/04 11:58 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I think you are right...

Anonymous

Re: Can't help but think [Re: fireworks_god]
    #3091155 - 09/04/04 12:06 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

OK, but the problem I see FG is what Moonshoe mentioned. Introverts recharge their energy while they're alone and extroverts recharge their energy while in the company of others. So if say, an introvert wants to permanently become an extrovert, their energy would be totally drained in the process unless they figured out how to draw in energy from others. So I was thinking, if the only real difference between intros and extros is their source of mental energy, then what you'd really need to do is learn to draw in energy the alternate way, and then the personality traits of introvert or extrovert would follow suit AFTER that. Does that make sense?

Anonymous

Re: Can't help but think [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #3091159 - 09/04/04 12:07 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I'm going to the bookstore today. I'll look out for that. Thanks dude.

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#3091533 - 09/04/04 01:53 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Actually you can make the case that introverts are less selfish as they don't need as much from others and tend to be more self reliant. Jesus said, "The Kingdom of Heaven is within." Not without. You will never find true happiness from external things. So introverts are many times more spiritual, although one can be an extrovert and spiritual as well. The key is to have a connection with your true, inner self.

Solitude is also a key to spiritual growth. Not necessarily continuous solitude, but solitude nonetheless. Cramming ten thousand activities into ones day is avoidance of confronting ones true self.

"Be still and know that I am God." Not run around all day, talk on my cell phone, watch tv and fill every moment of the day with activity. That is restlessness. The opposite of peace.

Of my two best friends one is an introvert and one is an extrovert. I think you need both qualities in balance ideally. With my introvert friend he rarely speaks or responds when I say something. With my extrovert friend he continually speaks and interrupts me or anyone.

When I'm with my extreme introvert friend I almost feel like I don't exist because he shows little interest in anything that doesn't relate to him. He is an introvert, but not in a spiritual way. With my other friend I feel like I exist but only to provide an audience for him.

So I guess I'd conclude that ideally one needs a blend of both qualities, but one or the other is not necessarily bad in and of itself. As long as you have a connection with your true self.

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #3091800 - 09/04/04 03:24 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i don't think inherently we are either, in other words, there isn't a default.

that's like saying you are born being one way. just like feeling positive and negative emotions, being an introvert or an extrovert depends on your internal programming.

you talk of energy transfer, and how others get their energy depending on the situation, and I disagree with the process you are describing. the reason being is that it doesn't depend on what happens in order for your energy to rise or fall, it depends on how you feel about it.

if a person has to "recharge" themselves by being alone, that means they depend on that for their happiness. In fact, a person that likes to be alone, can still have loads of energy when in a situation with lots of people.

it is the negative emotions that takes energy away. the ego will implant ideas such as "I don't like this..." "if only I were here" "If only..." and so that is the ego depending on reality for happiness. It is an unhealthy ego that makes the person feel uncomfortable and thus it is the person's fault for having a decrease in energy.

the mind is like a computer, and it's programs through focus can change.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #3093629 - 09/05/04 12:01 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I think you are right

are you starting to notice a trend?

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Invisible420Girl
SmokerExtraordinaire

Loc: The Big South
Re: Can't help but think [Re: SpecialEd]
    #3093717 - 09/05/04 12:42 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Okay, extroverts and introverts aren't "bad", nor is one better or worse thand the other. Just different.

Embrace all the differences in the world as just that....differences. You've heard it said time & time again that if everyone were the same the world would be a boring place.

I for one was VERY introverted in jr. high & high school. That is, until you got to know me. After high school, something changed. I went off to college and was pretty much forced out of my shell. Now I am a terminal extrovert. My boyfriend, however, is a total introvert. We love picking each other's brains and debating. We share so many different views and help each other to see past the blinders we have sometimes. Plus, I'm the life of the party when he needs help breaking out of his shell, and he's there to chill me out when I get out of control. ;-)

--------------------

Fuck this......let's go smoke a bowl.

"Weed will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no weed."  --Freewheelin' Franklin

"Life is not all....flowers and sausages!"

I <heart> Joe!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom