Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefatal_eclipse
Backwards Man
Male

small PC
    #3089118 - 09/03/04 10:00 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'm about to start my jars, but I have a question before I start, I have a 4-quart pressure cooker, and it can only fit 3 half-pint jars in it, and that's like THE max. I was wondering if having the jars too close to each other or the side of the pressure cooker would mess up my water ratio.

I'm doing 6 jars so I guess I have to pc 3 at a time, if it's bad to have them that close, I guess I'd have to do 2 jars at a time ehhh...

Also, how long should I PC since I don't have many jars in it?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleFiddySix
Dial UpCultivator
Re: small PC [Re: fatal_eclipse]
    #3089135 - 09/03/04 10:03 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Well... You should be able to get 6 jars in a 4 quart pressure cooker. I have a Mirro 4 quart one that I bought from Wal-Mart, fits 6 jars, 3 on the bottom, 3 on top of those. As long as you have the jars nice and covered to prevent water from entering, I don't see how having them too close would disrupt the water ratio.

Keep the jars in the PC for about 1 hour at 15 psi. My 4 qt only went up to 10 psi, so I put them in for about 1 hour 15 min to about 1 hour 30 min.

Hope I helped a bit, good luck.

--------------------
All posts are based on a fictional world I created in my mind as I wait for pages to load.

Offlinefatal_eclipse
Backwards Man
Male

Re: small PC [Re: FiddySix]
    #3089197 - 09/03/04 10:15 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

nah man, I tried stacking 3 jars on top of the bottom three, and I couldn't get the lid on because the top jars stuck up a bit too much. Well if I take out the rack on the bottom I can fit them in, but that's just barely... and I heard it's not good to have the jars in direct contact with the bottom of the PC because the heat transferred directly will cause some of the water in the jar to evaporate and mess up the water ratio.

Also, I don't have any masking tape. Can I cover the innoc holes with medical tape?

Offlinefatal_eclipse
Backwards Man
Male

#3089207 - 09/03/04 10:18 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Oh, my PC is a Presto by the way... so maybe there's differences in brands...?

InvisibleFiddySix
Dial UpCultivator
    #3089862 - 09/04/04 01:48 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

ahh, that is probably why. You need the rack in there, having the jars directly contact the bottom is bad!

Well, 3 at a time aint bad if you are only doing 6 jars.

--------------------
All posts are based on a fictional world I created in my mind as I wait for pages to load.

Offlinefatal_eclipse
Backwards Man
Male

#3089984 - 09/04/04 02:18 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

thanks bro, I'll just do 3 at a time then

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3090070 - 09/04/04 02:41 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Just remember to wait until it is cool before you open the Pc. By opening it when the jars are still hot you run the chance of sucking in bad air when the jars cool down outside of Pc.

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

InvisibleFiddySix
Dial UpCultivator
Re: small PC [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3090106 - 09/04/04 02:59 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Let the pressure cooker cool overnight, don't open it, don't run it through water, just let it naturally cool for a long period of time.

--------------------

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #3092122 - 09/04/04 07:11 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I usually put a fan blowing on the PC to cool it down. I usually take the jars out as soon as they are cool enough to handle. Don't put a fan on the jars because they need to cool at a slower rate.

As Fucknuckle said, if you cool the jars too quickly they can suck dirty air in. If the suction airflow from the cooling jars exceeds the rate at which contams fall then contams will be sucked into the jars.

-FF

OfflineChiLong
More machine elfthan man...

Loc: Twisted, moved to E-Ville
Re: small PC [Re: fastfred]
    #3093392 - 09/05/04 12:45 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Weird... I never let the pressure cooker cool on it's own... I always release the pressure inside, then remove my jars to do the next batch. I haven't had a contam since I bought a PC (several years now).

I also set my jars right on the bottom of my PC. I do 1L jars of popcorn (4 at a time) and I've never had them burn.

Any ideas why this hasn't been a problem for me?

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: small PC [Re: ChiLong]
    #3093600 - 09/05/04 01:49 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

That's very foolish ChiLong. You're breaking all the rules there. Contams aren't even the main reason why you let the PC and jars cool down before handling.

Here is a story about someone who didn't follow the rules...
-----------------------------------------------------------

Because autoclaves generate so much energy while doing their work, the hazards they present are not to be underestimated. A recent accident on campus highlights some of the potential problems.

While preparing for the next day's work at the end of the day, a lab tech removed a 5 liter container of sterile water from the autoclave before it had a chance to cool. She put it on the counter and was turning away when the container exploded. The top of the container knocked a ceiling tile out of the ceiling. The water, which was still about 200 degrees Fahrenheit, doused the lab tech's arms, legs and abdomen. She suffered severe second degree burns of the abdomen and leg, including sizeable loss of skin on the right leg. Because this occurred at a site outside the campus phone system, she had to find the emergency number in the phone book. After finding the phone number, she was able to call UVM Rescue for assistance and had the presence of mind to disrobe and start first aid by entering a nearby tepid shower. Partial recovery required 3 weeks of synthetic skin applications to the right leg to promote skin regrowth. Complete recovery will take months.

Lessons to be learned from this incident include:

1. In addition to gloves and glasses, temperature protecting aprons should be worn when handling hot vessels. Plan the work so that handling of hot liquids is minimized. Remember the 6 P's: Prior Planning Prevents Painfully Poor Performance.

2. Autoclave use should be carefully planned to allow cooling of materials requiring sterilization before they are removed from the autoclave. If the volume of material to be autoclaved makes this difficult, it may be necessary to acquire another or a larger autoclave.

3. Response to contamination is to disrobe quickly. Because the tech was wearing clog shoes, she was able to kick them off immediately and disrobe quickly. Consequently, she suffered little foot damage. Normal shoes would not have been able to be removed as quickly because she was attending to her other injuries.

4. Emergency numbers should be posted along with information identifying the location of the lab. The lab tech had to describe the location of the lab to UVM Rescue.

5. Supervision of workers at satellite facilities is important. The worker was alone when the accident occurred, which is sometimes unavoidable. If the accident had been more serious, to the point where the lab tech was unable to summon help and start first aid, the situation would have been much more serious. If you must work in a situation where you are alone, be sure that someone knows where you are and plan carefully how you will summon help. It is best to have someone check on you if you haven't contacted them by a certain time.

While the consequences of this accident were serious, fast action by the lab tech averted much more serious damage.

Source: The World of Autoclaves by Jane O'Neil and Ralph Stuart

OfflineRetardedChemist
journeyman
    #3093615 - 09/05/04 01:55 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I think I have the same exact pressure cooker as you. It is a 4 quart PC. I can only fit 3 jars only if I squish them together because of the foil lid. The jars have been sitting in my incubator for 5 days but I have seen no mycelium growth.

Offlinefatal_eclipse
Backwards Man
Male

Re: small PC [Re: RetardedChemist]
    #3093855 - 09/05/04 03:51 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

man that sucks.. I ended up PCing 3 jars last night, or should I say this morning. I let it cool overnight, or until I woke up hehe. I was too tired to wait for it to cool, so I'll prolly do the other 3 jars sometime tomorrow or so. The jars looked alright when I opened the PC earlier.

How much water am I supposed to fill the PC up with before PCing? I read that it was like 1 inch, but is that before I put the jars in or after(because the water level rises..)?

Thanks  :tongue2:

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
    #3093917 - 09/05/04 04:30 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

fatal_eclipse said:
man that sucks.. I ended up PCing 3 jars last night, or should I say this morning. I let it cool overnight, or until I woke up hehe. I was too tired to wait for it to cool, so I'll prolly do the other 3 jars sometime tomorrow or so. The jars looked alright when I opened the PC earlier.

How much water am I supposed to fill the PC up with before PCing? I read that it was like 1 inch, but is that before I put the jars in or after(because the water level rises..)?

Thanks  :tongue2:

1.kramer only opens at inoculation time
you should have not opened the pc .never give anything a shot at your substrate if you don't have to. but if you had foil on your jars you should still be good.  :thumbup:
2. if the jars came out ok you should use the same amount of water in the pc as you did last time  :yesnod:

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

OfflineChiLong
More machine elfthan man...

Loc: Twisted, moved to E-Ville
Re: small PC [Re: fastfred]
    #3096668 - 09/05/04 11:50 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I suppose I should clarify... my post did come off sounding like I simply take the PC off the stove and open it up.  It's not quite like that.

I remove from heat and allow to sit for about 10 - 20 minutes.  I then (as the pressure cooker manual suggested) release any remaining pressure from the valve and open the PC.  I do some arranging on my counter for a few minutes and then transfer from the PC to the countertop to continue to cool.

I never found this to be a problem, but I suppose I do leave it to cool for a while first, so I should have made my post more clear :smile:

Apologies for any confusion :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation