Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Another Successful Martyrdom Operation
    #3088333 - 09/03/04 06:49 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Russia Standoff Ends in Bloodshed for 200

By MIKE ECKEL, Associated Press Writer

BESLAN, Russia - The three-day hostage siege at a school in southern Russia ended in chaos and bloodshed Friday, after witnesses said Chechen militants set off bombs and Russian commandos stormed the building. Hostages fled in terror, many of them children who were half-naked and covered in blood. Officials estimated the death toll at more than 200

Early Saturday, 531 people remained hospitalized, including 283 children ? 92 of the youngsters in "very grave" condition, health officials said.

Fifty-five hours after the hostage drama began during a celebration marking the first day of the school year, the Russian government said resistance had ended.

Valery Andreyev, Russia's Federal Security Service chief in the region, said 10 Arabs were among 27 militants who were killed. The ITAR-Tass news agency, citing unidentified security sources, reported the hostage-taking was the work of Chechen warlord Shamil Basayev, who had al-Qaida backing.

Alla Gadieyeva, 24, who was taken captive with her 7-year-old son and mother, said the militants displayed terrifying brutality from the start. One gunman, whose pockets were stuffed with grenades, held up the corpse of a man just shot in front of hundreds of hostages and warned: "If a child utters even a sound, we'll kill another one."

When children fainted from lack of sleep, food and water, their masked and camouflaged captors simply sneered, she said, adding that adults implored children to drink their own urine in the intolerable heat of the gym.

She and other hostages said there was a little water but no food the first day. The hostages got nothing to eat or drink after that.

Gadieyeva told of three days of unspeakable horror ? of children so frightened they couldn't sleep, of captors coolly threatening to kill off hostages one by one. The gym where they were held was so cramped there was hardly room to move.

"We were in complete fear," said Gadieyeva, who spoke to an Associated Press reporter as she lay collapsed with exhaustion on a stretcher outside a hospital. "People were praying all the time, and those that didn't know how to pray ? we taught them."

The Interfax news agency quoted unidentified sources in the regional Health Ministry as saying more than 200 people were killed. The figure could not be confirmed. Reporters said they had seen at least 100 bodies in the school gym.

Under a grove of trees outside the school, white sheets covered dead bodies, including those of children, on lines of stretchers. Grieving parents and loved ones knelt beside the dead, some of whom were awaiting identification. Nearby, anxious crowds gathered around lists of injured posted on the walls of the hospital buildings.

It was not clear where the tragic end to the siege would leave President Vladimir Putin (news - web sites)'s tough policy on Chechnya (news - web sites), which has enjoyed broad domestic support despite the heavy toll rebel violence has taken in recent years. He has said the Russian fight in the Caucasus was part of the world's larger war on terrorism.

On the campaign trail in Wisconsin, President Bush (news - web sites) said the hostage siege was "another grim reminder" of the lengths to which terrorists will go. World governments joined Washington in condemning the militants.

"It is hard to express my revulsion at the inhumanity of terrorists prepared to put children and their families through such suffering," British Prime Minister Tony Blair (news - web sites) said.

The Arab presence among the attackers would support Putin's contention that al-Qaida terrorists were deeply involved in the Chechen conflict, where Muslim fighters have been battling Russian forces in a brutal war of independence on and off for more than a decade. ITAR-Tass said Basayev received funding for the attack from allege al-Qaida operative, Abu Omar as-Saif, coordinated the financing of the attack.

Russian authorities said they stormed the building after the militants set off explosions and fired shots as emergency teams approached to collect the bodies of several men killed earlier. They said the hostage-takers had given them permission to take the corpses away. Witnesses quoted by Russian media said the militants opened fire on fleeing hostages and then began to escape themselves.

A police explosives expert told NTV television that the commandos stormed the building after bombs wired to basketball hoops exploded in the gymnasium, where many of the children were being held. A captive who escaped told NTV that a suicide bomber blew herself up in the gym.

Channel One TV reported three of the attackers were arrested after trying to escape in civilian dress. Four militants were believed to have escaped. A member of an elite security unit died saving two young girls, ITAR-Tass reported.

The standoff was declared at an end hours after commandos began their midday assault, when a final large explosion issued from the school, apparently ending a gunfight between three militants trapped in the school basement and security forces trying to free children being used as human shields. Sporadic shooting continued hours later.

A hostage who escaped told the AP that the militants numbered 28, including women wearing camouflage uniforms. The hostage, who identified himself only as Teimuraz, said the militants began wiring the school with explosives as soon as they took control. He, too, said they had placed bombs on both basketball hoops in the gym.

The bomb expert said the gym had been rigged with explosives packed in plastic bottles strung up around the room on a cord and stuffed with metal objects.

The militants, some with explosives strapped to their bodies, stormed the school in Beslan on Wednesday morning and kept the hundreds of children along with parents in the sweltering gymnasium, refusing to allow deliveries of food and water.

"They didn't let me go to the toilet for three days, not once. They never let me drink or go to the toilet," Teimuraz said.

Leonid Roshal, a pediatrician involved in negotiations with the militants before they were stormed, called them "very cruel people ... a ruthless enemy."

"I talked with them many times on my cell phone, but every time I ask to give food, water and medicine to the hostages they refuse my request," Roshal said.

Putin's adviser on Chechnya, Aslanbek Aslakhanov, said security forces had not planned to storm the building, but were prompted to move by the first explosions about 1 p.m. Friday. Officials had pledged not to use force.

Russian forces had held back, perhaps remembering the deadly outcome two years ago when security troops pumped nerve gas into a Moscow theater before storming in to free about 800 hostages being held by Chechen terrorists. The nerve gas debilitated the captors but also was the cause of most of the 129 hostage deaths.

As the captives escaped the school, residents and troops ran through the streets, and the wounded were carried off on stretchers. An AP reporter saw ambulances speeding by, the windows streaked with blood. Four armed men in civilian clothes ran by, shouting, "A militant ran this way."

Streets around the school were a dizzying tableau of chaos as soldiers and men in civilian clothes carried children ? some naked, some clad only in underpants, some covered in blood, some bandaged. Women, newly freed from the school, fainted.

The children drank eagerly from bottles of water given to them once they reached safety. Many of the children had removed their clothing because of the stifling heat in the gymnasium.

"I am helping you," a man dressed in camouflage told a crying girl. Women gathered around, trying to soothe her, saying "It's all right. It's all right."

Allah must be proud.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: Another Successful Martyrdom Operation [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3088527 - 09/03/04 07:43 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

allah is a ficticious "god". It's a way to control the heathens of their society.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #3088573 - 09/03/04 07:57 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Those terrorists committed acts contrary to Islam's teachings.

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Another Successful Martyrdom Operation [Re: Innvertigo]
    #3088581 - 09/03/04 08:01 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

my god is better than your god.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #3088585 - 09/03/04 08:02 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Your Islam perhaps, but it seems the other Whahabi version is still very popular. I don't have a problem with Muslims, just the ones that believe in commiting these kinds of horrible acts. Maybe you call that an altogether different religion, but they claim to Muslims as well.

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #3088624 - 09/03/04 08:09 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I don't have a problem with Muslims, just the ones that believe in commiting these kinds of horrible acts.

Then why mention Islam at all? Why don't you just say you hate people that do evil fucked up things like kill small children?

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Another Successful Martyrdom Operation [Re: afoaf]
    #3088625 - 09/03/04 08:09 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

a little bit but not by a lot.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

#3088634 - 09/03/04 08:10 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The Ruskies have really bad hostage techniques. They always just storm the building and everybody gets killed.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Another Successful Martyrdom Operation [Re: monoamine]
    #3088658 - 09/03/04 08:14 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Oh yeah, it's the Russians fault that there's a pile of dead children

--------------------

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #3088664 - 09/03/04 08:15 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Fortunately Wahhabism has been rejected as a religio-centric perversion and ideological cult.

--------------------

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: Another Successful Martyrdom Operation [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3088671 - 09/03/04 08:16 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

It is, had they withdrew from Chechnya no one would be dead.

--------------------

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Another Successful Martyrdom Operation [Re: Innvertigo]
    #3088674 - 09/03/04 08:17 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Innvertigo said:
allah is a ficticious "god". It's a way to control the heathens of their society.

kinda like republicans use christianty to control the weak minded heathens over here

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

#3088701 - 09/03/04 08:22 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Thanks for putting words in my mouth.

I do think it's partially there fault though. They have this macho mentality when it comes to hostage situations. Showing the hostage takers no mercy is more important than saving lives to them. Like when they released that fentanyl gas in that theatre just to kill the terrorists,innocent people be damned.

It's also their fault they they basically raped their Arab neighbors,but I won't get into that.

--------------------
Douglas Adams

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #3088714 - 09/03/04 08:25 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

well, between this and the nerve gas incident a few years
ago, they just don't seem to handle these situations very
well....though, it could be that it's because they are dealing
with senseless, murderous subhumans.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Another Successful Martyrdom Operation [Re: Zahid]
    #3088739 - 09/03/04 08:30 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Zahid said:

You know sometimes I start to like you and then you just come up with this incredibly stupid shit. How about this for a similar rationale? "I would not have tied those people up and burned them with acid if the Tasaday hadn't refused to stop eating monkeys." They didn't fucking occupy Chechnya, they just didn't let it secede. And if they want to secede because they want to set up a religious oligarchy that just so happens to be the religion of ALL the vicious loons in the world then fuck them. The South wanted to secede so they could keep owning other people. Were they freedom fighters? Their religion said it was correct for them to do so, so does that make it right? Fuck you and allah too. I don't get what I want so I can massacre school children who don't even know what vote means. You should be sterilized as a furtherance of human evolution.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Another Successful Martyrdom Operation [Re: Zahid]
    #3088747 - 09/03/04 08:32 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

If Saddam would of left noone would of been killed.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#3088754 - 09/03/04 08:33 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:

honestly, the Russian government doesn't care for individuals, it has many of them. Why do you think they've always sent out ill-fitted armies in the millions?

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Another Successful Martyrdom Operation [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #3088757 - 09/03/04 08:33 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

kinda like republicans use christianty to control the weak minded heathens over here

exactly. Was that supposed to be a put down? if it was you need to work harder.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Another Successful Martyrdom Operation [Re: vampirism]
    #3088768 - 09/03/04 08:36 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

So, is it the Russian police's fault that there's a pile of dead children or is it the fault of the people who killed them? You and Zahid are almost criminally stupid.

--------------------

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #3088771 - 09/03/04 08:36 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Um, Russian troops are in Chechnya and the refuse to leave.

It's spelled succeed by the way.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion