Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Need to get in shape
    #3086516 - 09/03/04 08:22 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I took my blood pressure recently, and it's pretty high for someone my age. It's gone down since the beginning of the summer(when I had a pot belly), but it's still not where it should be. I've changed my eating habits a little bit(more fresh fruit and less salt), but what I really need is exercise. I'm not looking to try out for the iron man competition or anything, just to get in shape and have a healthy heart. I need a workout routine I can stick to. But that's the problem: I have never been able to stick to any sort of workout routine for any extended period of time. I think it would help if it was some activity where the exercise was incidental, like walking to the store. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
Re: Need to get in shape [Re: silversoul7]
    #3086638 - 09/03/04 09:20 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

start riding your bike everywhere u go...make it more of a mode of travel than "i'm gonna go ride the bike". That shit should help out a lot

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3087270 - 09/03/04 12:02 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I find a good way to stick to an exercise routine is to have people you know encourage you and hold you accountable for keeping it up! I was just thinking today about starting another "Exercise Log" (part 2) in this forum so that the people here can help push my ass into gear. I also have a hard time with consistancy and this seems to help out a little.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #3087330 - 09/03/04 12:15 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

you goto college that means you have an on campus gym. get your ass in there. if you go around 3-5 pm u should avoid most of the really huge jocky kids. if you dont know how to use free weights, just start with the machines. use heavy weight 3 sets on each exercise , heavy weight. you should only be able to do 4-8 reps per set. if u can do more, use more weight. each set you should move up in weight. workout 3 days a week. monday, wednesday, friday. one week you do 2 days of chest and tris (mon/fri). the next week u would do 2 days of back an bi. here is a quick plan u can do in about 1 hr:

Chest and Tri Day

chest: try a benching machine and a chest fly machine, also an incline bench machine if the have it (which they should)
triceps: they should have at least one machine for ur triceps
then hop on the stationary bike for about 20 mins at a medium intensity

Back and Bi

biceps: there should be a preacher curl machine use it, then get ur arse to the free wieghts and use dumbells
back: there should be at least two machines for your lats use them both
shoulders: use the military press machine
hop on the bike for 20 mins again

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#3087933 - 09/03/04 02:50 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I agree with Kingofthehill, go to your college gym and lift. But, I suggest 12 reps for a beginner. If you do too low of reps starting out your form will be bad and you'll get hurt.

Also, you should do leg, ass, and hip work. Back/bi and chest/tri is for gay bodybuilders. Get in there and do some squats and deadlifts. You use many different large muscle groups with those exercises and it builds strength the most, which in turn raises BMI and increases metabolism.

I say your routine should be 2 days a week, a push/pull style.

Push: bench, incline dumbell press, and squat

Pull: deadlift, pull-ups (add weight if you go past 15), and rows

Go to exrx.net for information on specific lifts and other stuff. I think its the muscle and exercise directory click on the left side.

NOW you need CARDIO. Start out running 2 miles for time at your school track. Once you get around 14 minutes, then start interval work and sprints. Those will get your anaerobic systems trained for combat.

Cut out all refined sugar, white bread, and hydronated oils.

In a couple months you will be a fucking SPARTAN warrior and the women will worship your greek physique. You will then use your new found strength to beat the piss out of the men who will challenge you for taking their ladies.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Need to get in shape [Re: looner2]
    #3087966 - 09/03/04 02:59 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Cutting out all white sugar and whatnot isn't really necessary. Most people probably get too much of this stuff, but it's not really bad for you at all in moderation. There are lots of myths floating around created by pop nutritionists, read this:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0846/is_8_22/ai_98594272

Getting plenty of fiber, vitamins, carbs, and proteins is more important than cutting different things out of your diet. Then, of course, plenty of cardio excercise is important. The weight training and whatnot isn't as necessary to keep healthy, but it'll bring in the ladies.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #3088582 - 09/03/04 06:01 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Biking and walking places instead of driving makes a huge difference if you make it a habit.

Earlier this year I weighed around 230. I eventually got down to almost 220. I just got a job doing nightstock at a grocery store a month ago and sometimes I have to walk home 50 minutes. That plus it's a physical job = I now weigh 195. I haven't been in this good of shape in a long time.

Good luck!

Also remember that building muscle is a good way to reduce fat because muscles require energy and some shit. I forget. And if yer gonna eat a bunch of carbs make sure to excersize after. Unused carbs turn into fat.

Offlinenonoman
ambassador
Male User Gallery

Loc: the wood
Re: Need to get in shape [Re: looner2]
    #3107830 - 09/08/04 11:49 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

looner2 said:

Also, you should do leg, ass, and hip work. Back/bi and chest/tri is for gay bodybuilders. Get in there and do some squats and deadlifts. You use many different large muscle groups with those exercises and it builds strength the most, which in turn raises BMI and increases metabolism.

What Looner2 said. Also lots to be said for calisthenics and other bodyweight exercises. http://www.trainforstrength.com/workout1.shtml

--------------------

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

#3109576 - 09/08/04 06:11 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

kott, looner - that all seems a little much for such a girly mon.

i recommend simple pushups, situps, and pullups...things like that including variataions of the 3. then go for a long *brisk* walk. after a few or several brisk walks, you'll feel like jogging slowly just to get to the destination quicker.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
    #3110659 - 09/08/04 09:58 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Good advice from all posters....my experience with staying in shape...
I ride my bike fucking EVERYWERE.  Granted, it's because i don't have a car, but it's a good fat burning/muscle stimulating exercise....  if you actually move and don't just peddle around, your legs will get in shape pretty damned quick,a nd they're one of the largest muscle groups in your body.

Also, steering/taking shocks/etc will help work out al other muscle groups, if only incidentally.

Using body weight exercises (pushups, pullups on a tree limb/playground equipment, etc) will also help build your upper body strength in proportion to your lower.

And do NIOT neglect your lower back/abdomen....this area of your body is crucial to overall stability/energy transfer.....situps are k3y.

Just my lazy mans workout routine. :tongue:

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

Offlinecompman
Stranger
    #3113134 - 09/09/04 11:21 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

id recommend doing high rep, low weight workouts for 2-3 weeks until your ready for more intense workouts. also, make sure you do cardio to warm up and possibly cardio to end your workout. good luck.

OfflineGus
Back in town.

Loc: Quebec, Canada
    #3120316 - 09/10/04 08:56 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

run.
After a while, you'll even enjoy it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies