Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepenguingenius
Stranger
newbie hunter needs identification help
    #3087128 - 09/03/04 01:31 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I live in Northern Minnesota and have 13 acres of which there are alot of downed trees and stumps of various trees, mostly paper birch and white oak....anyways when I bought the property there was a bunch of logs cut I think for the purpose of logging but they are 8 ft in length and then of course there is stumps and bark all over from these logs.....I've been getting really nice oyster mushrooms from these logs when it rains for the past 3 weeks and now this morning I had watered last night where I put in some patch grass seed and the stumps got wet and I went to move the sprinkler and noticed a bunch of what appear to be clam shaped mushrooms with little or no stems on the stumps that are white with brownish orange rings and then the outside ring is purple.....the underside is sponge looking and is also purple...what I would like to know is if this is some sort of edible mushroom because they are nice and meaty and look like they would be good to eat, however, I really don't feel like getting sick so if you could help I would greatly appreciate it as I'm new to mushroom hunting and have been finding a vast array of mushrooms that I can identify using resources found on this board but I so far have struck out finding any info on these particular mushrooms.

Thanks in advance for any help

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: newbie hunter needs identification help [Re: penguingenius]
    #3088712 - 09/03/04 08:24 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I know you tried to describe your mushrooms, but after reading your description several times I'm still unable to figure out what they look like.

Growing from wood, having no stem, and a spongy looking underside suggests one of the polypores. Most of the polypores are inedible because they have a texture like wood or leather. There are edible polypores, and some are used for medicinal purposes.

Even a poor photo would help here.

Happy mushrooming!

Offlinepenguingenius
Stranger
Re: newbie hunter needs identification help [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3089044 - 09/03/04 09:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

thanks for the info....I'm working on some photo's of both what I picked and what is on the stump....what you describe sounds right though as it does have a leathery texture....I most likely will post pictures tomorrow of tonights haul and some of what we already picked and dried of various other mushrooms.....

also I did this test of some other mushrooms we found

"There are, of course, certain chemical applications used to speed up the bluing reaction which occurs in psilocybian mushrooms. One method involves "metol", a chemical used in photographic developing. "Metol" can be legally purchased from any camera and photographic supply outlet. Mix 1 part Metol with 20 parts water. Place the stem of the suspected mushroom in a "metol" solution and wait for approximately 1/2 hour"

only we used dextol which the photo store said is the same and my assumption is that the water does not turn a dark blue but rather gets a bluish hue to it as that is what I have now after soaking what I believe to be liberty caps. Any help on this technique would be helpful as well.

Thanks for the help :-)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: newbie hunter needs identification help [Re: penguingenius]
    #3089611 - 09/04/04 12:41 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

As far as I know there aren't any known active polypores.

The biggest problem with using chemicals like Metol is that they are poisonous. So any mushroom you test with them has been rendered poisonous. Also, simple chemical tests like that tend to produce a lot of false positives.

If you have any doubts about the toxicity of such chemicals, please read the MSDS for it:

http://msds.kodak.com/ehswww/external/index.jsp

You'll need to fill in the details. I used "United States - English" for the Country/Language and "Dektol" for the Product Name (in each case without the quotes).

For those who don't want to get the download, one of the more interesting bits is this (from page 6):

Quote:

4-(methylamino)phenol sulfate. Based on animal data, may cause adverse effects on the following organs/systems: blood, kidney, spleen. Based on animal data this material can produce methemoglobin which, in sufficient concentration, causes cyanosis, a blue-gray discoloration of the skin and lips caused by a reduced ability of the blood to carry oxygen.

Dektol contains Metol (4-methylaminophenol sulfate) as the main active ingredient, along with Hydroquinone (which is nasty, too).

If you're going to get into chemical testing for various mushroom toxins, you might want to consider chromatography. Certainly it can be done without using highly toxic chemicals.

Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification