Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Alien signal?
    #3081718 - 09/02/04 07:40 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I would normally post this in S&T rather than S&P, but since there is so much speculation about aliens in this forum, I thought perhaps here would be best. If this is not appropriate, mods, please move the post.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=585&e=1&u=/nm/20040902/sc_nm/space_signals_dc

LONDON (Reuters) - An unexplained radio signal from deep space could -- just might be -- contact from an alien civilization, New Scientist magazine reported on Thursday.

The signal, coming from a point between the Pisces and Aries constellations, has been picked up three times by a telescope in Puerto Rico.

New Scientist said the signal could be generated by a previously unknown astronomical phenomenon or even be a by-product from the telescope itself.

But the mystery beam has excited astronomers across the world.

"If they can see it four, five or six times it really begins to get exciting," Jocelyn Bell Burnell of the University of Bath in western England told the magazine.

It was broadcast on the main frequency at which the universe's most common element, hydrogen, absorbs and emits energy, and which astronomers say is the most likely means by which aliens would advertise their presence.

The potentially extraterrestrial signals were picked up through the SETI@home project, which uses programs running as screensavers on millions of personal computers worldwide to sift through the huge amount of data picked up by the telescope.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Alien signal? [Re: Seuss]
    #3081802 - 09/02/04 08:18 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Insane....

If SETI actually does discover intelligent life somewhere else in the Universe, I will humbly submit to the God of Impossible Odds, for His power would truly be great.... :smirk:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Alien signal? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #3082083 - 09/02/04 10:02 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Space is really big... but I think something other than aliens is most likely responsible for the signals.

--------------------

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
    #3082250 - 09/02/04 10:44 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

YES!

NASA also released this week, the discovery of 2 new moons orbiting Saturn!  Were so sure theres no life near* us, yet we don't even know whats in our own solar system!

They have also discovered a MASSIVE ball of ice further out than Pluto.  Our universe is teeming with life its so obvious.  Ahhh the foolish self centered-ness of mankind. :lol:

Swami the time to revert your 100% skeptism policy is coming nearer and nearer.  Hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Most people believe our Sun to be the center of the universe, when in fact it is just a small star. :lol:

*Near on the universal scale imo inconcievably big!

Sorry for the mockery but its just so simple and so obvious yet more than half of our "intelligent race" can't see it, fools.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Alien signal? [Re: Ego Death]
    #3082337 - 09/02/04 10:59 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

> the discovery of 2 new moons orbiting Saturn

I have bigger 'moons' in my back yard. (not literally... but these are tiny itty bitty rocks they found)

> Our universe is teeming with life its so obvious.

Ah, if it is so obvious, then show me some.

> Swami the time to revert your 100% skeptism policy is coming nearer and nearer.

Why? There are many things that this could be. The chances of it being intelligent life broadcasting a signal to us is pretty much at the bottom of that list. Even if it turns out to be intelligent life, where was Swami wrong? Being skeptical doesn't mean that one cannot change their views if something is proven one way or the other... it simply means that one doesn't follow what the masses believe on faith... kind when everybody knew that the earth was flat... some skeptical sailor proved everybody wrong.

> Most people believe our Sun to be the center of the universe, when in fact it is just a small star.

Maybe they did back in the middle ages, but nobody that I have asked belives that our sun is at the center of the universe.

> so obvious yet more than half of our "intelligent race" can't see it, fools.

Gee Wally, there is no proof what-so-ever that there is any other life out there... I am a real fool for wanting proof before I claim that something exists... I should go bury my head in the sand until I wisen a bit.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #3083699 - 09/02/04 04:20 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I have already covered in-depth why SETI is such poor science, but will try to recap in brief:

1. Only 1 of the 30 or so "original" SETI core group thought about signals being transmitted at the frequency of hydrogen; only later did that seem "obvious". An alien mindset would most likely come to an entirely different conclusion.

2. Will our stray radiation reach other planets? No. Therefore a signal that would reach us would have to be the result of a super-powerful chaotic burst or a narrow wave beam of energy.

For it to be a narrow wave they would have to:

a. Know where to beam the signal (a priori knoweldge of where a civilization was). If they knew where we were then no signal would be necessary.

b. A near infinite number of beacons pointing in all directions. No planetary source could harness this much power or the labor and space to construct such an array.

Even if they could, which is not possible, no civilization would waste their time and resources for a possible signal coming back a hundred years later. There is no benefit. Hell, we do not have enough power to send even one signal back. A special transmitter would have to be built and it would only be good for the very closest stars. Then we would have to wait for many years for a re-response.

Summation:

No motivation for large expenditures of resources.

No way of knowing where to point transmitters.

No real possibility of communication.

Conclusion: The signal is a byproduct of normal galactic evolution.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
Re: Alien signal? [Re: Swami]
    #3083771 - 09/02/04 04:41 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Nah, nobody knows the answer. Which is why this signal makes just as much sense as comming from aliens, than any other therory.

If we dont know, then how can we say yes or no to anything? If you say you know, then try to convince the other million people that think they know also!

If you want to take a shot in figuring this question out for sure, you do what theyre doing now. It's all we are capable of doing, but the question isnt going to go away on its own.
So why not listen to the people that have the tools to figure out these questions? They sure know alot more than anyone of us giving some ignorant excuse based on what little they know, have been told, have seen a movie about,what thier relious beleifs are....

So im listening to them, not the million other peole that just chatter about it.

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Alien signal? [Re: Northernsoul]
    #3083868 - 09/02/04 05:07 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Which is why this signal makes just as much sense as comming from aliens, than any other therory.

Not at all. We have a history of receiving EM signals from many sources, but not one from a life form. I have clearly laid out why it cannot possibly be, which point do you take issue with?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #3083918 - 09/02/04 05:20 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I agree, I think SETI is just a sci-fi organization.

--------------------

Offlinevade
veteran

Loc: Columbus, OHIO
    #3084158 - 09/02/04 06:23 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

ha, i have SETI@home i never thought it did shit...

--------------------
I've got this feeling that there's something that I missed...

OfflineHijinx_Spike
JourneyMan

#3084183 - 09/02/04 06:30 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Aliens exist or man had the ability to tap into the mind and focus it more. No other way to describe the structures thousands of feet tall made hundreds of years ago.

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
    #3084570 - 09/02/04 08:42 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Somewhere between Pisces and Aries, eh?

:lol:

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #3085071 - 09/02/04 10:25 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Well how could they even decode the message if they wanted to?

If it was pulses of light caused by the igniting of huge clouds of hydrogen, it might be a means of communication.

Unless the aliens already knew who and what we were and could identify with us, it would be hard to make, like you said, discerning anything intelligible rather hard.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #3085481 - 09/03/04 12:16 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The greatest chance we have of communicating with aliens in this manner would be if some traveling aliens just so happened to find the Pioneer craft floating around and could read our little inscription, and they smelled an easy lunch. :lol:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Alien signal? (and black triangles!) [Re: Seuss]
    #3086365 - 09/03/04 07:08 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Since we are on the subject, lets toss some gasoline into this fire.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st...htingsontherise

Silent Running: 'Black Triangle' Sightings on the Rise

They have become legendary in UFO circles. Huge, silent-running Flying Triangles have been seen by ground observers creeping through the sky low and slow near cities and quietly cruising over highways.

The National Institute for Discovery Science (NIDS), has catalogued the Triangle sightings, sifting through and combining databases to take a hard look at the mystery craft. Based in Las Vegas, Nevada, NIDS is a privately funded science institute with a strong research focusing on aerial phenomena.The results of their study have just been released and lead to some unnerving, still puzzling conclusions.

The study points out: The United States is currently experiencing a wave of Flying Triangle sightings that may have intensified in the 1990s, especially towards the latter part of the 1990s. The wave continues. The Flying Triangles are being openly deployed over and near population centers, including in the vicinity of major Interstate Highways.

Covert operations?

A key NIDS conclusion is that the actions of these triangular craft do not conform to previous patterns of covert deployment of unacknowledged aircraft. Furthermore, neither the agenda nor the origin of the Flying Triangles are currently known.

The years 1990-2004 have seen an intense wave of Flying Triangle aircraft, the study observes. Sifting through reports by hundreds of eyewitnesses, the NIDS assessment states that the behavior of the vehicles does not appear consistent with the covert deployment of an advanced DoD [U.S. Department of the Defense] aircraft.

Rather, it is consistent with (a) the routine and open deployment of an unacknowledged advanced DoD aircraft or (b) the routine and open deployment of an aircraft owned and operated by non-DoD personnel, suggests the NIDS study.

The implications of the latter possibility are disturbing, especially during the post 9/11 era when the United States airspace is extremely heavily guarded and monitored, the NIDS study explains. In support of option (a), there is much greater need for surveillance in the United States in the post 9/11 era and it is certainly conceivable that deployment of low altitude surveillance platforms is routine and open.

Open, even brazen

According to Colm Kelleher, NIDS Administrator, the newly completed quasi meta-analysis of Flying Triangles melds three major U.S. databases: NIDS, the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) and data collected by independent researcher, Larry Hatch, the creator and owner of one of the largest and most comprehensive UFO databases in the world.

Kelleher said, the analysis indicates that deployment of Flying Triangles is open, not covert, and involves low-flying, brightly lit aircraft routinely deployed over populated areas including cities and Interstate highways.

However, I cannot say whether these are U.S. Air Force aircraft. We simply don't know, Kelleher told SPACE.com . But it does not appear to be consistent with the covert patterns of deployment we saw with the F-117 and B-2 prior to their acknowledgement. This is open, even brazen, he stated.

Stealth aircraft

For example, a perfunctory look at the how past DoD stealth aircraft programs were kept from public eye -- although eventually came to light -- is different from the patterns for the Flying Triangles.

Prior to acknowledgement of the F-117 and B-2 aircraft, only rare night time sightings occurred in the sparsely populated sections of Nevada, California and a few other states. Flying at low altitude over populated areas was rarely reported for the F-117 or B-2.

In contrast, the Flying Triangle deployment, especially during the 1990s, appears more consistent with the open and public operation of these aircraft, the study explains. The trend of open deployment of the Flying Triangles is not consistent with secret operation of an advanced DoD aircraft.

No attempt to hide

The database-driven study of the Flying Triangle shows the following patterns:

-- Sightings take place near cities and on Interstate highways
-- They are seen at low altitude in plain sight of eyewitnesses
-- They fly at extremely low speed or hover in plain sight of eyewitnesses
-- The vehicles sometime fly with easily noticeable bright lights -- either blinding white lights, or have bright disco lights that usually flash combinations of red, green or blue.

The NIDS study emphasizes that the flying of these vehicles may be more in harmony with an attempt to display or to be noticed. There appears to be little or no attempt to hide. That finding has led to a modification of an earlier NIDS hypothesis that the Triangles are covertly deployed DoD aircraft.

While it is too early to dismiss the previously published NIDS correlation between Triangle sightings and a subset of U.S. Air Force Bases, the apparent association with centers of population may point away from a covert program. Rather, it is consistent with routine and open deployment of an advanced aircraft, the NIDS study concludes.

Clustered on both coasts

During the ensuing years (2000-2004), NIDS received hundreds of reports from people in the United States and Canada reporting large triangular aircraft, often silent and often flying at very low altitude and at low air speed. In many cases, the objects were brightly lit. NIDS files also include reports of Flying Triangles from remote areas.

In mid 2004, NIDS reviewed its database that contains the locations of the Triangle sightings in the United States. The sightings of Triangles appear primarily adjacent to population centers and along Interstate Highways, with sightings clustered on both coasts.

NIDS has amassed almost 400 separate sightings of triangular/boomerang/wedge-shaped objects. Many of these craft are brightly lit, low flying, and traveling at unexpectedly low air speeds.

In earlier reports, NIDS outlined a tentative correlation between reported sightings of Triangles and the locations of Air Mobility Command and Air Force Materiel Command bases in the United States.

Like a Star Trek "uncloaking"

According to ground observers, the features of a Black Triangle are indeed impressive.

For example, the NIDS study includes the observation of a Port Washington Wisconsin person who encountered a large object that flew over her home at 500 feet altitude in October 1998. Her eyeing of the clear starry night was interrupted as the craft came into her field of view.

Suddenly this monstrosity came out of the blue, just like a Star Trek 'uncloaking', no kiddingso quiet I couldnt believe it and so hugeno more than 500 feet or so up, and big enough to take up my field of sky vision, she reported.

Crude mathematics, the witness recounted, would make the vessel about 200 feet wide and 250 feet long.

Two camps

In wrapping up its look at the burgeoning number of Flying Triangle sightings in the United States, NIDS also took into account the work of writers and researchers delving into the topic both in the United States and abroad.

Those analyses fall into two camps: The Triangles are human-made, while the other says they are not.

In 2004 it is extremely difficult to distinguish between these two possibilities since the former option overlaps heavily with legitimate national security concerns, while in the absence of much more physical evidence, the latter option is not testable, the NIDS assessment concludes.

--------------------

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
    #3086590 - 09/03/04 08:53 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

>>>I have bigger 'moons' in my back yard.

Could you kindly back up your back yard being about 3km (2 miles) and 4km (2.5 miles) across and located 194,000km (120,000 miles) and 211,000 km (131,000 miles) from Saturn's centre.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3571564.stm

:lol:

Interesting stuff, about the black triangles tho.  I have only ever seen 1 of those.  It had 2 large orange balls on its underside, it flew right above us.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: Alien signal? (and black triangles!) [Re: Ego Death]
    #3086604 - 09/03/04 09:01 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

3km (2 miles) and 4km (2.5 miles) across

There are many asteroids that are bigger than either of those...

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #3086624 - 09/03/04 09:13 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

it would suck if they were sending us a message like, "hey we're coming to kill all of you in a few days, prepare to meet your creator, kthxbye"  :tongue:

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Alien signal? (and black triangles!) [Re: Ego Death]
    #3086630 - 09/03/04 09:17 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Could you kindly back up your back yard being about 3km (2 miles) and 4km (2.5 miles) across and located 194,000km (120,000 miles) and 211,000 km (131,000 miles) from Saturn's centre.

My backyard is actually that atlantic ocean, and there are some big rocks down there...  :wink:

> Interesting stuff, about the black triangles tho

I thought so... I have a friend that flies helecopters for the military in Colorado.  Whenever they are out at night on training missions, people always call in reporting UFOs.  He wont talk about it very much, but said they have been chased by police and civilians thinking they were aliens from another world.

--------------------

Offlineignertj
Stranger
    #3087869 - 09/03/04 02:32 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

silly humans with all your theories and postulates.
There is the possibility that alien life form has visited this planet before and the masses have been to unbelieving to acknowledge it. I read an abduction book that claimed, extraterrestials were visiting our planet to give warnings about our armmeggedon(can't spell.) According to the book, humans were described by aliens as destructive beings that thrive on hate and sick competition. One interesting thing said was that our emotions are "primitive and recreation-like to them". Of course all this information was transferred telepathically through those big black eyes.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order