Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
Mystery surrounding flys??
    #3084087 - 09/02/04 06:05 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Ok so my friend has an unsual situation, and he would like to know if anyone else has the same problem. So he has a room in his house in which he has dedicated to growing, its left closed at all times with only one window in the room, which is left closed 24/7, but yet today while i was over at his house, he must have had over 100 flys in that room!!! How in the heck are they there? He dosent have a fly problem in his house, exept for this room, its like they are growing somewhere in the room, and thriving. Does anyone else have this problem? and if so what is causing it? It was quite an issue, becuse while looking in his PMP a couple flys landed inside the pmp on his casings  :thumbdown: He quickly removed the flys, and went about like a crazed madman killing anything that was flying LOL. So what is bringing these flys, and how in the heck can they be in just one room of the house and nowhere else?

Thanks all for any help with this unusual problem  :tongue2:

--------------------
Anything I might post on this site is fictional, the only knowledge I have is from reading post's on this site. I do not conduct any illegal activites whatsoever in any way.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mystery surrounding flys?? [Re: McKennaFan]
    #3084119 - 09/02/04 06:13 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

not as unusual as you might think

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23418

this is a big page to load, but well worth it. fungus gnats are two thirds of the way down

--------------------
buh

Offlinefugu
Pooh-Bah

Loc: istanbul
    #3084122 - 09/02/04 06:14 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

throw the casing

--------------------
mushroom culture history making ...Mr. Allan is the best .....

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
Re: Mystery surrounding flys?? [Re: fugu]
    #3084466 - 09/02/04 08:09 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

WOW I was totally clueless to this, my next question is, its like they developed overnight, I mean one day there is nothing, and the next LOTS of flys, do they grow that fast?, and secondly my friend has inspected the casing, and the couple cakes  :wink:and can see nothing like larve or anything, is it possible they have laid eggs elsewhere in the room? Also about tossing the casing, the fly only landed on it for maximun of 10 seconds, is that really nessacary? Also what should he be looking for specificly for this kind of contam?

So should he fumagate the room of something to make sure all those suckers are dead? what are your opinons on how to combat this problem?

Thanks all for your help, always learn something new at the Shroomery  :tongue2:

--------------------
Anything I might post on this site is fictional, the only knowledge I have is from reading post's on this site. I do not conduct any illegal activites whatsoever in any way.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #3084540 - 09/02/04 08:34 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

are your flies the same as those in the pics? really tiny gnats (thrips)?

if so, either you didn't notice them, or they synchronised their hatching. clever buggers.

--------------------
buh

OfflineSamhainJ
I wanna rock out, in my dreams
Loc: USA
Re: Mystery surrounding flys?? [Re: shirley knott]
    #3084960 - 09/02/04 10:04 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

hang like 25 of those fly traps from the ceiling(the long sticky things that hang down) and it should take care of your problem. flys only live like 1 or 2 days after transforming from a maggot into a fly and they lay eggs before dying.

--------------------

Anonymous

#3085028 - 09/02/04 10:16 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

flies are way smarter than u think.......get the yellow catchers from home depot........mebbe your neighbor has horses....

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
Re: Mystery surrounding flys?? [Re: ]
    #3086858 - 09/03/04 10:22 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Well Shirley yes and no there were a couple that looked like the ones in the pic, the one that kinda looks like half mesquito, half fly, but they were rather large, not small like a nat, about the same size as a common housefly. And the rest of the flys looked like the common housefly but like a mutant or something, they had shinny backs thet were a greenish silver and just a bit larger then a common housefly, one thing that was weird was they seem very lathargic, what I mean by that is, they would almost let you touch them, not agressive in there flight to get away from you. So could this be the same thing? And to my other question is it possible they laid eggs elsewhere in the room besides the chamber? Becuse like I said my friend spent a long time inspecting the cakes and casing to look for any larve and found nothing, even the already developing mushrooms showed no signs of insect infestation whatsoever.

Thanks Shirley and the rest of you for your help in this matter, it seems this might be an unusual problem to combate seeing is how we have no idea where they are comming from at the moment, kinda fun though, like a detective tracking down the culprute LOL thanks again all for your help

--------------------

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3086921 - 09/03/04 10:43 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

It is possiable you had a large birth of flies somewhere outside near your home and the flies were down wind, followed their noses and came in thru the window cracks?????

I once left some bad garbage setting around too long out back and over the next couple of days I was totally stumped as to where all the frikin flies were coming from. Both nat style flys and regular old house flies were filling my fruiting room. Aughhhhhhh

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: Mystery surrounding flys?? [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3086949 - 09/03/04 10:53 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I'd reccomend getting some of those sticky fly traps and setting a few in the room. I'd also get some of the bug spray I use - - it kills bugs for 6 months... just spray it on the outside of the windowsill and around the window to keep bugs from trying to invade the room.

Happy Shrooming!

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Mystery surrounding flys?? [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3087052 - 09/03/04 11:15 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

How about I just take out my garbage every week instead of once a month LOL

Thanks

--------------------

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #3087285 - 09/03/04 12:05 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

You can also get a semi-natural spray that will kill them. Pyerethin or something like that.

If you want the best spray get one of the ones that's supposed to do a whole greenhouse. Beware, these have a spray nozzle that is designed to stick down when you push it down, spraying the whole can at once. So first cut the little tab off so that you can just spray it regular style. It will last a long time that way.

It could stunt the mycelium a bit so be carefull. It will kill the flies well though.

-FF

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Mystery surrounding flys?? [Re: fastfred]
    #3087320 - 09/03/04 12:12 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I am eating fully Natural Mushrooms. Why would I want to eat mushrooms, grown on stunted Mycelium ,that has been treated with Semi-Naturals Chemicals????

:wink:

--------------------

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3087344 - 09/03/04 12:19 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Fucknuckle said:
I am eating fully Natural Mushrooms. Why would I want to eat mushrooms, grown on stunted Mycelium ,that has been treated with Semi-Naturals Chemicals????

Well you can get all natural spray of the same stuff. It's just that the synthetic is more potent and usually cheaper.

Also, you weren't the one asking the question anyway. Do you even have a fly problem?

Offlinefatalerror
ass asscott
Female User Gallery

#3087354 - 09/03/04 12:21 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I suggest getting some praying mantid oothecae (eggcases) in future, you can pick em up at many natural pest control centers, and occasionally pet stores, or on places like www.petbugs.com. Try and find tenodera sinesis, or the oriental/chinese mantis (its the most common one), they take care of flies nicely, and create an interesting atmosphere... Be sure to keep a screen over your chambers and stuff, too...

--------------------
eat poop

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mystery surrounding flys?? [Re: fatalerror]
    #3087424 - 09/03/04 12:37 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

>I suggest getting some praying mantid oothecae (eggcases) in future

How do you get rid of the praying mantids then?

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #3088981 - 09/03/04 07:22 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

mantids are not a pest where mushrooms are concerned... in fact they may be of benefit around the house if other insects are a concern

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mystery surrounding flys?? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3089140 - 09/03/04 08:04 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

But won't they just eat the flies and then die off leavin you with a bunch of dead mantids in and around your mycelium?

Maybe it's not as big of a problem as I imagine. I'm thinking that there might be thousands or hundereds of thousands of them.

Maybe the eggs come in small packs, but I was thinking he meant just throwing a bunch of them in there.

-FF

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #3089234 - 09/03/04 08:24 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

fastfred said:
But won't they just eat the flies and then die off leavin you with a bunch of dead mantids in and around your mycelium?

Maybe it's not as big of a problem as I imagine. I'm thinking that there might be thousands or hundereds of thousands of them.

Maybe the eggs come in small packs, but I was thinking he meant just throwing a bunch of them in there.

-FF

There are around two hundred hatchlings in each ootheca from an adult Mantis, they start small and grow to about 4-6 inches, the feed primarily on small insects like fruit flies and gnats whne they are young and will do no harm to the mushies... most will escape if there is little food available, but they go un noticed because of their size, the majority of the escapees will die

here is an egg casing (ootheca), they can be found virtualy anywhere, a piece of grass or a twig on a bush or tree.

a hatchling at about 5 days

and dozens on the first day

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Mystery surrounding flys?? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3089259 - 09/03/04 08:32 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

They are also cannabalistic. That is, if they don't get released, they will eat each other. Happened to me once after they hatched in the little tub they come in.

I use them in my garden...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate