Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinevisionary
you don't knowme, so yes I ama stranger
long hairs
    #3084357 - 09/02/04 09:31 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

what does it mean if my mushies, which i picked after they had been about 9 days old, have been in the fridge and the insides of them turned blue?

I should also probably add that they had what appeared to be long hairs of cobweb moss covering the bases of their stalks. Magash I am pretty sure that is what was on my mushies. Just peeled it off of them, it sort of turned into a slimy covering. But I don't know if it would be safe to eat them when dry.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: long hairs [Re: visionary]
    #3086195 - 09/03/04 06:33 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

To start with, pictures always help. If you can, try to post a picture and listen to the experts.

Sounds like it could be mycelium growing on the stalks... It's a little late to help that since they've already been picked. Still, it could be cobweb.

As for the blue, it doesn't really sound like a problem to me. Lots of mushies blue after being picked and esp. after being handled. I personally don't put mushies in the fridge, but rather put them in a paper bag in a dark place out of the way (IE - my desk drawer).

Hope this helped!

InvisibleSuperbowl Bob
Re: long hairs [Re: visionary]
    #3086723 - 09/03/04 11:44 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

If you picked them fresh and put them in the fridge for 9 days, they are probably rotting. Even if you put them in the freezer, once they get to room temp, they'll turn to mush (literally).

You need to dry them on a plate with paper towels underneath them, in front of a floor fan running all day long, for 3 days straight (uses up hardly any elec). Then move the mostly-dry mushrooms into an airtight plastic tupperware, with Damp-Rid, baked epsom salts, etc, on the bottom, then a mesh screen, then a paper towel, then your mushrooms. You can eliminate the screen if you want. Keep the lid on and don't open it unless you need to.

This will take the excess moisture out of the air inside the tupperware and keep your mushrooms bone-dry. This way they'll last for many months without losing potency or going bad. You can even grind them up to make chocolates and keep those chocolates in the freezer.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum