Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewds
another brick

Loc: Mother Earth
whole grain vs. brf
    #3080406 - 09/01/04 10:29 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

does whole grain colonize faster? bigger fruit? i curious to know what all the fuss is about... also, more resistant to contam, maybe?

--------------------
I wish psychedelic mushrooms were legal, because I would like to indulge in this amazing fruit of the earth. Unfortunately, I can only learn about this interesting hobby, and cultivate legal mushrooms.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: whole grain vs. brf [Re: wds]
    #3080421 - 09/01/04 10:34 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Less resistant to contams. The rest is right though.

Take it this way a quart of rye finishes in 6 to 9 days is way way way cheaper then brf and looks a little like this

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinewds
another brick

Loc: Mother Earth
Re: whole grain vs. brf [Re: Magash]
    #3080426 - 09/01/04 10:37 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

well hell, i need to do your rye tek and see for myself.

then why does anyone ever use pf substrate and not whole grain all the time?

thanks for the input.

--------------------
I wish psychedelic mushrooms were legal, because I would like to indulge in this amazing fruit of the earth. Unfortunately, I can only learn about this interesting hobby, and cultivate legal mushrooms.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #3080439 - 09/01/04 10:40 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

After doing both all I can say is "you got me I don't know why".

There are a lot of new teks that make doing grains easy that wern't around not long ago and the pf tek is almost (I said almost folks) foolproof. Grains can have a learning curve at times. I hope that the rye tek I put up helps to remove a little of that  :grin:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: whole grain vs. brf [Re: Magash]
    #3081195 - 09/02/04 03:27 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Grain teks have been around since the beginning... There really hasn't been much change over the years.

Grain is by far the best way to go. I don't think that anyone who has ever tried grain successfully would even think about going back to brf as their main substrate.

-FF

Edited by fastfred (09/02/04 05:15 AM)

OfflineMystiq_Shaman
x.o.

Loc: North Calotte
    #3081419 - 09/02/04 05:11 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

to put it this way, im defently not going back to using brf after i started using grains. :smile: But I have experienced some black mold that sometimes, but not often, appears. But grain is a much better choice ime.

OfflineDr_Nick_Riviera
Forum Guy

Loc: Australia
Re: whole grain vs. brf [Re: Mystiq_Shaman]
    #3081532 - 09/02/04 06:07 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

crap, I just got home from going and buying some brown rice flour....

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: whole grain vs. brf [Re: Dr_Nick_Riviera]
    #3081634 - 09/02/04 06:50 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

what is the difficulty difference between pf substrate and grain? i'm in the middle of my first PF experiment, and it's going rather slow. Just wondering if a beginner could pick up grain as easily as the PF style stuff..

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: whole grain vs. brf [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3081646 - 09/02/04 06:55 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I suggest you check out magashs' rye tek. Its at the top of this forum. You HAVE to pressure cook if your going to use a grain. I mean there is NO alternative. In my opinion its easier than PF. And WAY faster. Of course its a good idea to try things like PF tek when your starting out. I think it gives you a better appreciation for this type of thing.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: whole grain vs. brf [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3081677 - 09/02/04 07:12 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

It is a fair bit harder for noobs to pick up. There are a lot of different ways to do grain compared to the rather simple method of PF jars.

Don't worry though... You'll be happy with your pf jars. Everyone should do a batch of them first time around.

Offlineshaman2b
Just anotherfreethinker
 User Gallery

Loc: in my head
Re: whole grain vs. brf [Re: fastfred]
    #3081880 - 09/02/04 08:50 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I'm a relative noob, only on my second grow at the moment. For the first, I did both the PF tek and Magash's rye tek. (I tried some agar as well, but that's a whole other conversation). I didn't bother with trying to fruit the cakes directly; did a crumble & case. Worked out beautifully. Yields were comparable to the rye. (I think I got lucky)

So, wds, since you already have the BRF, go ahead and use it. While you're waiting for it colonize, go ahead and do some rye jars! Follow Magash's rye tek to the letter. I didn't let my most recent batch drain enough before loading the jars, and it ended up being too wet; one jar got contam'd.

PF is foolproof. I am a fool, and had great success right off the bat. Waiting over a month sucks, though ...

S2b

--------------------
I am merely transcribing the thoughts of my blind buddy; none of the things I write originate with me. :wink:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags