Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Ranch Dressing

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
THE NOTHING!
    #3081538 - 09/02/04 08:08 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Did you ever watch the the film 'The Neverending Story?' If you haven't, I recommend it. If you have, there is 'The Nothing' - a storm of evil metaphysical proportions that tears apart the Realm of Imagination in which the story takes place, leaving nothing but shards floating in a dark void.

In 1992 Hurricane Andrew made south Florida look like Nagasaki. The death toll was minimized by the media. Marriages ended through the stress, people were relocating all over - their homes razed. I was 30 miles north of landfall and I clocked 160 mile gusts over my house which I reported to the National Hurricane Center. An 8" thick tree that I had nursed since seedling snapped off 3' above the ground in my front yard, while grapefruits still hung on a tree in the back yard. I picked up a bluejay who couldn't fly, made a shoe box nest, talked to him, but then I placed him on the floor - he stood tall, flapped his wings, gave a great cry, and died in front of me.

My house was OK, but I had no electricity for 10 days. The humidity was oppressive and smoke from burning debris suffused the Miami air everywhere. My own wife had used the trauma as an excuse to return to the island of St. Croix to continue an affair with a petty criminal there. I was home with the dogs and a gnawing feeling that something was very wrong. When I phoned the ex to report a death in my family, she sounded annoyed that I had bothered her. A month and a half later I filed for divorce and left. At my new apartment, I met displaced Andrew survivors. One guy, Tony, had had a horse ranch. He had left devestation and dead horses with his Black Labrador Retreiver, who died shortly after he had moved in. At work, I counselled traumatized children and parents. An evil wind was Andrew. All kinds of personal loss followed and it's effects were felt for years. It seemed like more than just 'wind' - it had a name and seemed like a 'spirit!'
It was like another evil storm in the film 'Something Evil This Way Comes.'

Last evening, after work, I put up my heavy galvanized storm panels. I dug a trench and pit where rain tends to threaten flooding my bedroom through the sliding glass door to the back yard. My Lady took down all the wind chimes, moved the pixie-on-a-mushroom statue and resin bistro set into the garage. I moved and lashed the metal patio furniture to fence posts on the side of the house, cleaned and super-chlorinated the pool. Day before yesterday I trimmed the Gumbo-Limbo tree and Bouganvilla, duct-taped the debris for waste management pickup (they like that) and saved the larger wood for the fireplace. I roped down the woodpile. I also discovered major wood rot on the chimney, so I did emergency cement and metal work on the base. Day before yesterday I had time for a swim, and two Kolsh beers afterwards. Not yesterday.

Today, children all over south Florida don't have to go to school - neither do faculty, everywhere but Miami-Dade County. A new superintendant of schools, Rudy Crew, another power-mad, money-hungry (500K per year plus house, car and perks!), principal-firing, dress-code-for-teachers (f**k that!) advocating, Idi Amin wanna-be, pimp-daddy-large-and-in-charge stereotypical, post-tribal chief mentality ass**** fired by Guiliani in NY, now here, has insisted that we all go to work today. We have our batteries, propane, water, tinned food and crackers, duct tape already, but everyone still has last-minute things to do. I need to secure a hanging light in my outside entryway for example. I don't wish this category 4 storm on anyone else, but I don't want landfall near my home! This hurricane is larger than Andrew - it covers the entire state of Florida. It's like The Nothing!

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Edited by MarkostheGnostic (09/05/04 04:31 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Re: THE NOTHING! [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #3081555 - 09/02/04 08:18 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I live in FL, too. I think they might have minimized death tolls for Charley. 32,000 destroyed homes, most of those homes had a 15 minute or probably no warning at all. 32,000 destroyed homes, 25 official death toll. Sounds fishy.

Dude, be careful. Category 4's are extremely dangerous (as you probably already know). Be safe.

BTW, Rudy Crew is a damned idiot. What time is the the hurricane supposed to touch ground?

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Edited by psyka (09/02/04 08:19 AM)

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3081578 - 09/02/04 08:26 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

This may seem random but...

I love you MarkostheGnostic....honestly...I love your posts.  Thank you for being who you are.  :heart:

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #3081660 - 09/02/04 09:06 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

may this current breezy breath of the angel of death pass on over, & leave you and all of yours safe and sound...

love to you and your sweet lady, my friend...

& batten down them hatches...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Anonymous

Re: THE NOTHING! [Re: psyka]
    #3081918 - 09/02/04 11:06 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

The death toll for Charley was extremely minimized by the media. I've heard a personal witness account of one storm shelter, housing a couple hundred people from a mobile home park, completely collapse with everyone in it. I don't see why the media would downplay or ignore things like that. It just doesn't make sense.

EDIT: And Markos, good luck to you! Stay safe.

Invisiblemr crisper

#3081941 - 09/02/04 11:17 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

:sun:
:heart:
hold tight.

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
    #3081977 - 09/02/04 11:27 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

best of luck.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: THE NOTHING! [Re: blink]
    #3083017 - 09/02/04 03:44 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

"...ain't no luck...I learned to duck..."
-Hunter/Garcia

Thanks!

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: THE NOTHING! [Re: psyka]
    #3083042 - 09/02/04 03:53 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Ten MPH short of a Category 5! Please Lord, no tornado 'sentries' around the Evil 'Lord of the Air' Frances! The tiny laundry room between hallway and garage is the 'storm cellar' if 'I hear a train a'comin'!'

I don't know when landfall will be. One estimate was place - the Dade-Broward boarder. We live next to County-Line Road! Everyone East of US 1 is being evacuated. Shelters are opening in designated schools. Gonna dig a drainage hole deeper when the sun goes down some, otherwise we're done. Nothing left to do but wait.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: THE NOTHING! [Re: mr crisper]
    #3083049 - 09/02/04 03:55 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks! I'll pass that on to my roof!

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: THE NOTHING! [Re: MOTH]
    #3083083 - 09/02/04 04:02 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Well, this may come as unexpected but...  *SMOO-O-OOCH!!!*  Thank you EllemyshShade! Here's one back at ya [let's keep this just between us...m'Lady is not the jealous type, but she's not pleased about me virtually kissing other ladies  :smile: )

--------------------

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #3083223 - 09/02/04 04:45 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Mark,

I'm in Tampa and not sweating bullets as much as east coasters are, but I am very concerned. I've been a horrifying hurricane before that left 100s dead. I'll never be the same as I was before that experience. My life as I knew it was GONE. It was very humbling and I learned a lot about attachments and detachment from the experience. I've become detached in an unhealthy way because of it.. I think.

Anyway, I was chuckling at your spirit references to the storm. I had a dream 2 weeks before the one I was in. There were these wisps of white and black smoke traveling in pairs. They would come up to a home and only one of the colors would go into the key hole. It would come out and they would travel on to the next. It was an erie dream to reflect back on after the storm as you would see one home demolished and the one right next to it damaged but standing. 

The after effects in the people were amazing to study. People you thought were great were acting in a selfish manor as in "every man for himself".

People you thought were assholes were sharing everything they had.

People who you thought were great were charging people $10.00 to use their cell phones to call home in the states.

People you thought were assholes were hooking up peoples generators to their air conditioners for free.

Mostly, people came together is wonderful ways. It made me wonder why they didn't act in that manor before the storm.

When you see peoples ego attachments, including your own being ripped away over night, you begin to realise humility and a humble essense never leaves and always serves as a reminder to whats real and what is not.

I don't see inherent evil in these storms. As destructive and horrible as they can be, good can from them and opportunity is given for a lot of inner personal growth to transpire.

Sitting here now in this things path, I am taking stock of what matters most right now and letting go of any ego attachments I developed to things that may be ripped away.

One thing worked while I was in the absolute worst of it with winds gusting into the mid 200's. I have to guess that because the wind meters were blown off at 218 and it got MUCH MUCH WORSE after that. I decided to overcome my fear of the wind by becoming it. In my mind, I moved with the wind and felt it's power and force. I felt in control and direction of it. That eased a lot of fear, even if it was just a play on imagination.

I can't stand the watching and waiting..................

Hope all are preparing for the worst and hoping for the best! :heart:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: THE NOTHING! [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3083346 - 09/02/04 05:14 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the empathy. As a Moonchild, the Crab with its pinchers tends to become easily attached to people, times, places and things. I have been through the major attachment-detachment struggle (which is easier when one is young and doesn't possess much materially, or care to), but I bought MY own house rather late in life, relatively speaking, and it is fairly unique in south Florida. Of course 'nothing lasts,' but I'm hoping that it'll outlast my need for it. The psychological difference is between giving something up freely, and having something taken away from one against one's will. If I need such a lesson, it will be GOD giving it to me. The wind is just an 'agent.'

People can be surprising, and survival-mode does make animals out of people, but the usual animalistic people don't become saintly in crises. Miamians are rude, crude, and lewd for the most part. Huge SUVs they can't drive, making their own bullying road rules while yapping on cell phones; third-worlders hocking out their windows, puking out their doors or picking their noses at red lights (AND consuming it - women included!!!) Driving brings out the worst stuff, but this is an ethnically polarized city where people will give you consideration (on the road for example) if you appear to belong to their Hispanic, Haitian, African American or Caucasian tribe. Otherwise, F**K YOU! Walk into a Hispanic establishment and you don't habla Espanol, you become the invisible inaudible man. Find yourself in the 'wrong neighborhood,' well, remember hearing of a band called 'Dead German Tourist?' - that's what happened to them in Overtown after getting lost from the airport.

Well, my Lady informed me that we have to go out now and cut all the coconuts off the trees around the pool. Gotta go. Later.

--------------------

InvisibleNariusFractal
Sat Chit Ananda
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #3084371 - 09/02/04 09:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I live in Tampa and work in a grocery store. There are tons of people stocking up on food.

The movie "The Neverending Story" was one of my favorites growing up.

--------------------
You are the microcosm of the macrocosm.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3084835 - 09/02/04 11:41 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
Well, this may come as unexpected but...  *SMOO-O-OOCH!!!*  Thank you EllemyshShade! Here's one back at ya [let's keep this just between us...m'Lady is not the jealous type, but she's not pleased about me virtually kissing other ladies  :smile: )

It's cool...it'll be our little secret.  :wink:  :grin:

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #3085014 - 09/03/04 12:14 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

The nothings are a cry howling from the inside, they try to freeze your spirit, trying to force you into the cold of death.

Do you consider that these winds may be the product of mankind on this earth? That the earth will act in its ways when it gets warmer?

More energy moves through the air, there is a lot more heat in our atmosphere because of our presence here on this planet.

Maybe our lust for treasures and piling high apartment buildings and manufacturing plants have gotten the best of us.

You cant live on the coast of such an active sea and expect nothing to happen. I dont want to minimize your danger at all markos, I hope the best for you and yours. I hope your house is strong enough to withstand the blast.

I feel sorry for those people unfortunate enough to question the builders of their homes of whether they had hurricane proofing done to the structure of their house.

For all those who have enough money and care to live in such a beutiful place, maybe after this their will be a whole new population of people seriously considering the steadfastness of buildings and how we as humans interact with our environment.

Think of your personal safety and that of your friends as most as you can, because when the wind hits, the only warmth you may have is from that which is right in the home, those who occupy it.

My best wishes to you markos. When the wind comes screaching in your ears, and when the storm comes with the darkness, pierce it with your own light. 

My best wishes to all those on the coast.  :heart:

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: THE NOTHING! [Re: Zero7a1]
    #3086451 - 09/03/04 09:53 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the wishes. Hurricane Frances seems to be playing with us according to the weatherman. She has slowed to 9 MPH over the Caribbean, and winds have dropped to 120 MPH, but it may well pick up again. Now they say landfall will be between Cape Canaveral and Dade County. Instead of tonight, they're saying Saturday. The wait is maddening. Might as well go out since there is no work today. Pretty day right now.

BTW, the house was built in '79 of cement block with 2x4 frame (not the modern flimsy metal stuff). It's the roof I'm most concerned about - no straps on the inside of our 12' wood beamed livingroom ceiling to help hold the roof on! I wish I had a cement slab roof instead of asphalt shingles.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: THE NOTHING! [Re: gnrm23]
    #3086462 - 09/03/04 09:56 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks Buddy! [*shudder*] Nice poetic license.

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #3086688 - 09/03/04 11:34 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

They make simple metal joints which are very cheap which are used to hold down the roof, anchoring it to the central structure. Have you heard about this?

Good luck!

Onlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Loc: all this Flag
    #3086757 - 09/03/04 11:52 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Good luck Markos, but I know you'll be fine :smile:

Best wishes :cool:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Ranch Dressing

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology