Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Scales, Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OnlinetrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Synchroneity
    #3079275 - 09/01/04 08:52 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I often wonder about the existence of spontaneous order, and what it means for us humans. Synchroneity is common and wide spread in the Universe, so I wonder if Life itself could just be another example of the self-synchronizing nature of our Universe. I wouldn't say Life started here on Earth entirely by chance...perhaps it started here because it could start here: the necessary elements were available...synchronization took care of the rest. The right elements come together at exactly the right time not through omnipotent pre-planning, but through the natural order of this Universe.

Any thoughts?

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Loc: all this Flag
Re: Synchroneity [Re: trendal]
    #3079463 - 09/01/04 09:27 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I think that rather than the earth being suitable for life, life evolved purely to be suitable for earth. This is why our exact specifications of a life supporting planet (full of organic compounds, hydrogen, carbon, oxygen, ect.) are not necessary for all life, but only the life that emerged from that mix. Take this further, and "life" (afterall it's only a human observation) could exist on every other planet in our solar system even, except the changes in design would be so drastic that they may not even share the same senses, time perception, ect. and are therefore impossible for us to detect as of now.

I don't believe in divine order in the common way. But surely if we emerge (or rather evolved) from the seemingly inert elements, the evolving change might have been pre-destined in a similar manner as our DNA. Of course, our DNA determines the way we grow and what we become, but the environment plays a huge role due to chance and interactions between these seperate design processes. But if everything came from a starting point as science tends to lean towards, that would mean this specific outcome of events, down to the subatomic level, could not have been any different, which would mean statistical analysis - while useful - are false in the grand scheme. Or, maybe randomness does exist, and each start of a universe would result in totally unique designs.

What decided the natural order of the universe?

--------------------

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #3079489 - 09/01/04 09:34 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I agree.

It's like you know seeds floating through the air, landing on soil that's been moistened by yesterday's rain. The wind blows a little soil on top and germination begins. The system's already been setup so that wherever it can happen it does. As above, so below. I guess it then leads to the question how did such an amazing system get set up?

Relatedly, did you know some UK astronomers are almost at a point where they can detect smaller solid planets like Earth in distant solar systems? Before they could only find gas giants like Jupiter which are unlikely candidates for life. It's an exciting time to be alive.

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: Synchroneity [Re: question_for_joo]
    #3080457 - 09/02/04 12:49 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

its always been an exciting time to be alive...

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3080881 - 09/02/04 03:04 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

You know what's weird...

I was just thinking about posting something like this in this forum and then I come online and see that you've already done it!  so thanks  :smile:

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #3081167 - 09/02/04 05:09 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

This thread is really interesting. All ideas here are exciting and help me get my head around human existance. Thanks all.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

InvisibleMerkin
neep.
 User Gallery

Loc: Ass Flavoured Pie Factory
    #3081508 - 09/02/04 07:53 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

collective consciousness @_@

from Waking Life :P

" like that. It's like there's this whole telepathic thing going on that we're all a part of, whether we're conscious of it or not. That would explain why there are all these seemingly spontaneous worldwide innovative leaps in science and the arts, you know, like the same results popping up everywhere independent of each other. Some guy on a computer figures something out, and then almost simultaneously a bunch of other people all over the world figure out the same thing. They did this study where they isolated a group of people over time, you know, and monitored their abilities at crossword puzzles in relation to the general population, and they secretly gave them a day-old crossword, one that had already been answered by thousands of other people, and their scores went up dramatically. Like 20%. So it's like once the answers are out there, people can pick up on them. Like we're all telepathically sharing our experiences"

--------------------
Wheels of cheese wheeels of cheeeeese!!!

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Synchroneity [Re: Merkin]
    #3081511 - 09/02/04 07:55 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

whoa..

Offlinedmtrypr
psychonauticalengineer

Loc: Florida
Re: Synchroneity [Re: MOTH]
    #3081529 - 09/02/04 08:05 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

That was my favorite part from "waking life". Its an awesome movie if you haven't checked it out yet. As far as synchronicities go, I was just thinking about that same thing (innovations popping up all over the world). We definitely have an invisible link that connects us to everything in the universe(and to each other as well). By strengthening this link we will overcome pride, prejudice, hatred, etc. I think this link is fortified whenever we let down our guard and open ourselves up to possiblities, thoughts, people who we blocked out before.

--------------------
"There is no greater power in heaven and earth than the thought of the son of man. Though unseen by the eyes of the body,yet each thought has mighty strength, even such strength can shake the heavens." -Gospel of the Essenes

Offlinebobbyrox
Stranger

#3084226 - 09/02/04 08:44 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

You should read the Cellestine Prophecy. It deals with this topic and other such related things. I especially like this idea about how each of us has an energy field around us (like an aura i guess) and how this is often the cause of Synchroneity.

OfflineSoul
Stranger

Re: Synchroneity [Re: bobbyrox]
    #3084579 - 09/02/04 10:46 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

It is cool that you mentioned the Celestine Prophecy because I just finished reading it 10 minutes ago. I think that synchronicity and coincidences played a part in the creation of life, because they seem to be happening all the time. I also watched waking life just recently and it has alot of really great ideas about philosophy and synchroniciy, I highly recommend it.

Edited by Soul (09/02/04 10:48 PM)

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #3087451 - 09/03/04 02:41 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I was just talking about this with someone on another thread, but not in relation to synchronicity. But I think what we discussed there may have significance here.

He said that McKenna (sp?) wrote a book on it, and of course Stephen Hawking has his theory on time-space. But maybe synchronicity occurs because we are in the exact right space where we are supposed to be for that brief instance of time when synchronicity occurs. Maybe that's what synchronicity is.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Re: Synchroneity [Re: Frog]
    #3087493 - 09/03/04 02:51 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

There is no supposed-to, only is :smile:

We put to much of an emphasis in attatching meaning to the here and now rather than directly experiencing it. Flow :cool:

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Synchroneity [Re: deff]
    #3087625 - 09/03/04 03:35 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, I agree, but what I am referring to is that we are here for specific purposes. I think that if we are on the path we were intended to follow, then we will often be where we should be to meet with others who maybe are meant to help us, or us them.

But if we don't make the right choices, we will get off track, and maybe we won't experience the benefit of time/space or synchronicity.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

#3087638 - 09/03/04 03:39 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

No, see that's what I'm talking about. There is no path, no purpose, no reason, only the now.

There are no "should be"s or "meant to be"s.

There are no right choices, only neutral actions. The benefit lies in realizing that this truth penetrates all experience.

But, I could be wrong - but either way - it is.

--------------------

OnlinetrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

#3087664 - 09/03/04 03:46 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not speaking strictly about "syncronicity" in the sense that it is usually used here, only about the case of syncronization in nature. Synchronization is order from chaos, a decrease in entropy which is a statistical anomaly. In a Universe where all processes seem to be for the purpose of increasing overall entropy, these spontaneous decreases in entropy are worth note.

In nature I see synchronization, and that leads me to think that our Universe is special. Could not all examples of spontaneous organization be taken as inevitable events?

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#3087666 - 09/03/04 03:46 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

But see, that's what I'm talking about. No just kidding.

I think that there is a path and a purpose. We should be on the look out for the signs that will send us further on our journey while we are here.

In the meantime, of course, enjoy the "now", but always be looking for "next".

--------------------

OnlinetrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

#3087678 - 09/03/04 03:50 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I think that we have a type of free-will, but that it is totally inadequate in an attempt to cause real change on the overall scale of things.

If you change the locations, or exact composition, of a few molecules in a painting...does the painting look any different on the whole?

--------------------

Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

#3087679 - 09/03/04 03:50 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

If you are always looking for the next, you'll look past the now. You're doing it right now :wink:

trendal - Order and chaos are only observational characteristics. Would both not be the same if it were not for our perceptions?

--------------------

OnlinetrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

#3087687 - 09/03/04 03:54 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Order and chaos are only observational characteristics. Would both not be the same if it were not for our perceptions?

Order in the sense that a change is possible in a system. In a highly ordered system the number of changes possible is enormous. In disorder there is no room for change, as any change will not have an effect on the system a large. These are two distinctly different forms for matter to take. So no, I guess I don't think order is purely an observational phenomena.

--------------------

Edited by trendal (09/03/04 03:58 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Scales, Terrence McKenna

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology