Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenewcultivator
pressure cooker
    #3079189 - 09/01/04 06:33 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i dont have a psi gauge on my pressure cooker so i was wondering if somebody could tell me how hot to make my stove top and for how long to pressure cook my jars.. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: pressure cooker [Re: newcultivator]
    #3079242 - 09/01/04 06:45 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Do you know the psi of the weight? There is a PC tek in faq.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

OfflineDr_Nick_Riviera
Forum Guy

Loc: Australia
    #3079260 - 09/01/04 06:49 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

hey,
I also just picked up an old pressure cooker without the gauge. You should have a little weight that sits on top of the lid where the steam comes out. This weight is used to indicate the pressure, from what I've read about old pressure cookers is that when the little weight begins to bounce around about 3 to 5 times a minute, the psi is at about 15.

I put mine on the about 3/4 the way on the stove (dont know the temp sorry) for atleast 40 mins, although mine is a bit old and dodgey with gaps for steam to come out, so yours might not need to be as high to make your weight jiggle around.

Hope this has helped a bit.

Offlinep_knutt
amateur mushroomrancher

Loc: CT
    #3079266 - 09/01/04 06:50 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Are there different weights that you can put on it?  I know that my mirro pressure cooker has three metal pieces that you can screw onto the top, one metal piece = 5 psi, 2 = 10 psi and all 3 metal pieces = 15 psi.  As for how hot to make the stove, I heat mine on high until the weights start to wobble, then I turn it down to medium.  Did your pressure cooker come with directions?  I know that might be a silly question, but it never hurts to ask.  I pressure cook my jars for an hour and 10 minutes.  Hope that helped. :goodluck:

Offlineshaman2b
Just anotherfreethinker
 User Gallery

Loc: in my head
    #3079285 - 09/01/04 06:55 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I *think* that most consumer-grade PC's operate at 10-12 psi. As far as heat goes, you'll have to gauge it based on the rocking pssht-pssht sound of the stopcock after you reach pressure. At that point, an hour should work great.

Until I got my All-American unit, that's the way I did it and there were no problems with contams.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: pressure cooker [Re: shaman2b]
    #3079325 - 09/01/04 07:01 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

>I pressure cook my jars for an hour and 10 minutes.<

What size jars are you using? That seems like quite a long while to pc them for.

-FF

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: pressure cooker [Re: KaptKid]
    #3079359 - 09/01/04 07:06 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

You don't need a guage, just cook it for an hour.

Read the instructions with the thing too, you do not want to blow it up.

--------------------
Agent 727

Offlinep_knutt
amateur mushroomrancher

Loc: CT
Re: pressure cooker [Re: fastfred]
    #3079438 - 09/01/04 07:21 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i use 1 quart jars

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: pressure cooker [Re: p_knutt]
    #3081320 - 09/02/04 04:17 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I find 45 min is enough with a good pc and 1hr is plenty.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: pressure cooker [Re: p_knutt]
    #3082037 - 09/02/04 09:48 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

1/2pts. 45-1hr. Quarts nothing less than an hour, I usually go 60-75min. depending on how the grain was prepared. Large mycobags in a stuffed PC get 90-120min. GL

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: pressure cooker [Re: hyphae]
    #3085927 - 09/03/04 02:24 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Actually 1/2 pints are supposed to be PCed for 20 min...

NOT 45 MIN TO 1 HR AS YOU SUGGEST.

You need to actually read the PF tek before you start giving advice hyphae.

I advise everyone to read the tek so you won't be fooled when somebody says something outrageous like that.

Here is what the PF tek actually says:

Sterilization times
1. 1/2 pint PF substrate jars - 12 p.s.i. for 20 minutes
2. Water bottles - 12 p.s.i. for 55 minutes
3. Syringes and needles - 12 p.s.i. for 10 minutes

-FF

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
Re: pressure cooker [Re: Dr_Nick_Riviera]
    #3085961 - 09/03/04 02:41 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Dr_Nick_Riviera said:
hey,
I also just picked up an old pressure cooker without the gauge. You should have a little weight that sits on top of the lid where the steam comes out. This weight is used to indicate the pressure, from what I've read about old pressure cookers is that when the little weight begins to bounce around about 3 to 5 times a minute, the psi is at about 15.

I put mine on the about 3/4 the way on the stove (dont know the temp sorry) for atleast 40 mins, although mine is a bit old and dodgey with gaps for steam to come out, so yours might not need to be as high to make your weight jiggle around.

Hope this has helped a bit.

Errr, no.

There seems to be an alarming number of people who do not know how weight based pressure cookers work.

When the weight begins venting steam, the pressure that the weight is designed to achieve in the pressure cooker is reached. The pressure itself causes the weight to fractionally elevate causing a vent to be produced.

This has nothing to do with frequency of how many times it bounces, it shouldn't bounce atall if the heat is constant (unless someone is heavily walking around or cooker is knocked in which case it bounces and you will hear a sudden increase in vented pressure for a fraction of a second).

The weight system is designed to indicate one thing, X psi is achieved in the cooker, now any excess pressure is going to be vented. It is not designed to indicate pressure with bouncing or anything like that.

If you increase the heat once you have a steam coming out of the vent then you are only really going to be venting more excess pressure. You may achieve a small increase but you have to realise that mostly it just makes a lot more noise as you're just venting more excess pressure.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: pressure cooker [Re: utopianglory]
    #3085982 - 09/03/04 02:51 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Errr, yes. Actually a lot of PC manuals do describe regulating the heat based on the frequency of weight jiggling.

Also, you may get your pressure without the weight jiggling, but sterilization also depends on the ammount of steam passing over your contents. Having your weight venting steam several times a minute is important to ensure that there is good steamflow through the cooker.

-FF

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
    #3086144 - 09/03/04 04:01 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

You must be talking about a different type of weight to me then. My weight does not bounce atall. Its just a weight.. if its bounces then the steam passing out is not constant.

Sterilization doesn't really depend on steam passing over the contents. Sterilization depends on X psi being achieved, thus increasing the boiling point of water to higher temperature. Steam is a byproduct, not the primary concern. Your primary concern is that the the pressure is achieved and therefore the temperature of the cooker is allowed to rise higher than that would be achievable by just boiling in a pot.

Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

#3086154 - 09/03/04 04:08 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

utopianglory said:
Steam is a byproduct, not the primary concern.

with out steam there would not be any pressure!u cant do it with dirt !

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3086166 - 09/03/04 04:12 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

You must be talking about a different type of weight to me then. My weight does not bounce atall. Its just a weight.. if its bounces then the steam passing out is not constant.

The bouncing is not constant, but the airflow will be continuously circulating and regularly passing out the vent.

You are ignoring the thermodynamics of actually transmitting the heat to your contents, for that the steam is important. Having a flow inside helps your contents get up to temp the same way that faster moving air will heat or cool a person faster than having no air current.

You're right about the primary concern being the pressure. The right pressure makes the steam hot enough to sterilize the contents.

Look in your PC manual... Follow the instructions. Most say to adjust the heat so that the weight jiggles several times a minute. Free steaming is also a good idea to do for about 5 min before starting the run.

BTW it is also a well known fact that wet heat sterilizes much better than dry heat, hence the importance of the steam.

-FF

Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

#3086173 - 09/03/04 04:14 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

AAHH HHA!

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
    #3086185 - 09/03/04 04:24 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

fastfred said:
Also, you may get your pressure without the weight jiggling, but sterilization also depends on the ammount of steam passing over your contents.

I was referring to that comment Liveby.

Its a cyclical argument anyway, you can't have your pressure without your steam. So really we're arguing about nothing but if we had an 18 psi weight on the cooker with 15psi running in the cooker we could have no steam escaping and still be at the correct pressure to be sterilizing the jars. Steam escaping means nothing.

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
    #3086197 - 09/03/04 04:33 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

fastfred said:
Quote:

The bouncing is not constant, but the airflow will be continuously circulating and regularly passing out the vent. 

You are ignoring the thermodynamics of actually transmitting the heat to your contents, for that the steam is important.  Having a flow inside helps your contents get up to temp the same way that faster moving air will heat or cool a person faster than having no air current.

You're right about the primary concern being the pressure.  The right pressure makes the steam hot enough to sterilize the contents.

Look in your PC manual...  Follow the instructions.  Most say to adjust the heat so that the weight jiggles several times a minute.  Free steaming is also a good idea to do for about 5 min before starting the run.

BTW it is also a well known fact that wet heat sterilizes much better than dry heat, hence the importance of the steam.

-FF

Like I said, my weight doesn't bounce atall.  Even at high steam rates it only bounces when it is disturbed (the cooker).  Think of mine as a capacitor.  It just does not falter atall.  It charges and then at 15 psi the excess pressure is vented in a constant stream.

I'm just pointing out that the fascination with steam means nothing in practical terms of achieving X PSI.  Sure, at boiling point water because vapor and we have airflow but thats not important to John Smith outside the cooker.  If he can show that he has his pressure he can be sure that he has steam. 

I know you think the absolute same thing as me so I see no point in arguing.  I just try to focus on the things that are practical to the newbie because they are the ones that are going to read all about steam and misinterpret the information.  :smile:

Peace.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3086236 - 09/03/04 05:05 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

What kind of canner are you using? Every one I've seen has some sort of a weight that bounces or rattles.

The manuals say to regulate the heat by this. I don't think it's good advice to tell noobs that their weight doesn't need to rattle, because 99% chance is says different in their manual. Always follow the manual.

-FF

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom