Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon Coir, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSaladin
Follower of theTruth

Rehydrating a casing
    #3078300 - 09/01/04 04:21 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

My coir/verm casing layer has got real dry just before the first flush. I dont want to spray any water on it lest it disturb pin formation. Does injecting water into the coir via syringe seem like an effective rehydration technique? Or will this also disturb the pin formations?

Thx

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rehydrating a casing [Re: Saladin]
    #3078343 - 09/01/04 04:37 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

it's best to allow it to finish out the flush and then rehydrate it

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rehydrating a casing [Re: Saladin]
    #3078427 - 09/01/04 05:08 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Listen up you want to get that casing moisture up prior to pinning, this means a series of misting of the casing to the point of "near saturation" which is the point where the casing "glistens" with water and is yet not dripping and there is no water runoff. You are better off misting it now to optimum (pinning) levels other wise you aren't going to get a flush PERIOD with a dry casing. BTW get yourself a pinning strategy it will make a huge difference! Really :wink:
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.

Edited by hyphae (09/01/04 06:05 PM)

OfflineSaladin
Follower of theTruth

Re: Rehydrating a casing [Re: hyphae]
    #3079956 - 09/01/04 11:03 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

So you think misting would be OK? It wont mess with pin formation?

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3079985 - 09/01/04 11:06 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

WOW that sounds too wet Hyphae???? Everytime I got casing that wet they got contaimed. I am not doubting you in any way I am just suprized that's all.

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rehydrating a casing [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3080169 - 09/01/04 11:36 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

First off Saladin yes it can hurt pin formation thats why you wanted it optimum BEFORE you set your pins. Now in your case IF the myc grows vigorously enough it will more than likely overlay if it's to dry and will pin poorly.
Fucknuckle indoors conditions need to be kept as clean as possible in your case it is not the moisture thats causing the contams it is either the water source or environmental sporeloads. believe it or not myc thrives in a "near saturation" environment. Now you say that wet and I have to tell you most people don't have a clue what "near saturation" even means so I'm sure you have nothing to reference this too :wink: If you haven't read that link I posted in the last reply, it has given many people who have failed to ever get even a single mushroom get very respectable flushes, it is definitely worth the time to read and it has some awesome pictures of what I'm talking about. Think of it this way you are kicking it up a notch as far as fine tuning your skills. GL guys

Results!  :laugh:

Edited by hyphae (09/01/04 11:46 PM)

OfflineTripleB
Hobbyist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Michigan
    #3080254 - 09/01/04 11:50 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

lets keep this thread going, cuz i got a couple of brain benders too... its been like 3 weeks since my first flush in my big casing.. and no more pins have came, the casing is around 80% moist and ive held it that long the WHOLE TIME.. absolutely no pins, now ive done a few casings, and every single time, I NEVER EVER get a 2nd flush PERIOD no matter wut i try!!!!!!

ive tried keepin it like u said "not dripping but extremely moist" for 3 weeks, ive tried lettin it dry for a few days, then droppin the temps a couple degrees, and misting until 80% moist again.. ive tried damn near EVERYTHING, ive even tried this:
right after the end of the first flush, id spray it NICE AND GOOD set it BACK in the INCUBATOR for 5 days and bring it out, makin sure it is still moist (which it is...) and then dropping the temps back down to 76 and misting, and putting back in terrarium.. NOTHING EVER... i never have gotten a 2nd flush ... any thought on THAT?

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rehydrating a casing [Re: TripleB]
    #3080449 - 09/02/04 12:46 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

First question comes to mind is how thick a substrate are you using and how thicks your casing? My casings take anywhere from 4-5 days to a week (rest period) before my next flush. Point of interest most times your second flush pins are created along side the first flush pins so looking closely you should see some. I've also had flushes so tight that there was nothing left and had to recase so theres a variance there. Sounds to me like you've tried everything, I myself would let it dryout a bit, are you saying there is no myc showing? Check between the casing and the tray and see if there is any water buildup also. Are you fanning often also (transpiration)?

OfflineTripleB
Hobbyist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Michigan
    #3080460 - 09/02/04 12:51 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

gets very good fanning, and there is no water buildup at all.. no mycelium comin through, so i dunno wtf is goin on.. ooohhhh well, i got another casing here thats ready to be picked hehe.. ill take a pic for the board! ...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon Coir, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation