Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCrOOkedScheMeR
Stranger
Ident help for a newbie?
    #3078144 - 09/01/04 03:39 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Greetings all!

What a site, this is my first post here...so let me say hello to all, it looks like a great place to hang! Ok, so I went travelling around my property yesterday and found a nice patch of mushrooms that I could use a hand Id'ing...I have read the faq's and some of the other links, I hope I get this right. I have some pictures that I hope are adequate, I'm sorta colorblind (doh!) so if I seem hesitant about some of my description, that would be the reason.

From my somewhat untrained eye, I would say I was dealing with 2 species, so until someone can help with an ID I will refer to them as mush1 and mush2. These came from Vancouver Island (BC, Canada) and I noticed them about 2 days after a good few days of heavy rain. Before the rain I didn't see anything when I was out.

Mush1: [image][/image]

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

Habitat: On compost (lawn clippings, dirt etc.), near small fir trees and maples. Groups are found around the wooden yard ties (see pictures) and the amount of mushrooms per group lessens the farther from the ties they get.

Sporeprint: very dark sporeprint on mush1, not totally sure of the color but its dark. Unfortunately I dont have a microscope so further details are difficult. heres the best pic I could take with my crappy camera.

Viels: Partial - No ring or ring zone at any stage of growth.

Stalk: Central, stems are about 2-3.5 inches maximun and tapers at the top to about 1/4 of an inch. Stem is dry to touch and smooth, its hollow and spreads when broken.

Gills: Attached to stem, close - average spacing, color is dark but seems to darken after mushroom has been pick/handled.

Cap: mostly about 1 to 1 1/2 inches, largest is probably 3. Cap is moist to touch, light in color but a day after picked, it darkens and seems to "rip" or "tear" exposing the initial lighter color. Umbonate and incurved becoming more inrolled after being picked. Cap is smooth.

Mush2:

Habitat: Dirt (soil) closer to the small fir trees, NOT growing on the compost, they are off to the edge of the compost and mush1 but still very close.

Sporeprint: Lighter than mush1, still a dark print though.

Viels: same as mush1

Stalk: Central, about 3-4 inches approx, tapers and and curves slightly. Similar except in height to mush1

Gills: Attached, close - average spacing, amount seems less that mush1

Cap: lighter than mush1, larger too, between 2.5 - 3 inches. Cap is moist in touch, color stays the same after its been picked unlike mush1, Umbonate and incurved becoming more inrolled after being picked. Cap is smooth.

Heres another picture.

Well I hope I have somewhat done this accurately, I apologize for the lack of proper termanology, I lost the page that explained it and couldn't find it again. Hopefully the id can be done without me listing the colors but I understand that it may not and if that is the case I will find someone to give me a hand so I can better explain. Thanks soo much anyone who can help I look forward to knowing what these are and to hanging here!

Cheers guys

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Ident help for a newbie? [Re: CrOOkedScheMeR]
    #3078407 - 09/01/04 04:59 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Mush1 is a Psathyrella, similar to Psathyrella candolleana. An important feature visible in your photos is the way the cap surface cracks when dry.

Mush2 also suggests Psathyrella, although not as strongly as Mush1.

Happy mushrooming!

OfflineCrOOkedScheMeR
Stranger
Re: Ident help for a newbie? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3078487 - 09/01/04 05:24 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Ok I guess I should keep looking! Thanks for the quick reply and for the tip on the cap cracks. Hopefully I stike gold soon! Thanks

Take Care

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification