Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekitteh
yeehaw

Loc: SC
A few questions regarding my methods
    #3078004 - 09/01/04 02:54 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Being short on time after i PC my grains I like to put my jars in the fridge or freezer to cool them off faster before inculation. Does this pose a risk? Could the jars break from cooling off too fast or does the fast cooling give contams a chance to spawn?

I have access to 1 gallon pickle jars at work, would these be to large to spawn in using grain? Would the jar more likely contam before it fully colonized?

Is putting coffee filters over the jar lids along with polyfill overkill? Will the jars slow due to decrease air exchange?

How ofter do you clean your poor mans pod and how do you do it. Right now I have verm all over the lava rocks and looking to clean out the pod. Is there a way i could change the water and flush the rocks a lil with shrooms still in the pod? Like maybe sypon out the water with a short hose? Any advice or help with my questions would be awesome =p

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: A few questions regarding my methods [Re: kitteh]
    #3078043 - 09/01/04 03:07 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

>Does this pose a risk?

Yes, every safety manual written warns against taking hot glass from the autoclave before it's cooled. It's dangerous... Here read this story...
-----------------------------
While preparing for the next day's work at the end of the day, a lab tech removed a 5 liter container of sterile water from the autoclave before it had a chance to cool. She put it on the counter and was turning away when the container exploded. The top of the container knocked a ceiling tile out of the ceiling. The water, which was still about 200 degrees Fahrenheit, doused the lab tech's arms, legs and abdomen. She suffered severe second degree burns of the abdomen and leg, including sizeable loss of skin on the right leg. Because this occurred at a site outside the campus phone system, she had to find the emergency number in the phone book. After finding the phone number, she was able to call UVM Rescue for assistance and had the presence of mind to disrobe and start first aid by entering a nearby tepid shower. Partial recovery required 3 weeks of synthetic skin applications to the right leg to promote skin regrowth. Complete recovery will take months.

Lessons to be learned from this incident include:

1. In addition to gloves and glasses, temperature protecting aprons should be worn when handling hot vessels. Plan the work so that handling of hot liquids is minimized. Remember the 6 P's: Prior Planning Prevents Painfully Poor Performance.

2. Autoclave use should be carefully planned to allow cooling of materials requiring sterilization before they are removed from the autoclave. If the volume of material to be autoclaved makes this difficult, it may be necessary to acquire another or a larger autoclave.

3. Response to contamination is to disrobe quickly. Because the tech was wearing clog shoes, she was able to kick them off immediately and disrobe quickly. Consequently, she suffered little foot damage. Normal shoes would not have been able to be removed as quickly because she was attending to her other injuries.

4. Emergency numbers should be posted along with information identifying the location of the lab. The lab tech had to describe the location of the lab to UVM Rescue.

5. Supervision of workers at satellite facilities is important. The worker was alone when the accident occurred, which is sometimes unavoidable. If the accident had been more serious, to the point where the lab tech was unable to summon help and start first aid, the situation would have been much more serious. If you must work in a situation where you are alone, be sure that someone knows where you are and plan carefully how you will summon help. It is best to have someone check on you if you haven't contacted them by a certain time.

While the consequences of this accident were serious, fast action by the lab tech averted much more serious damage.

Source: The World of Autoclaves
- Jane O'Neil and Ralph Stuart

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #3078064 - 09/01/04 03:13 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

kitteh said:
I have access to 1 gallon pickle jars at work, would these be to large to spawn in using grain? Would the jar more likely contam before it fully colonized?

IME yes and yes. Bigger jars just don't seem to work as well. Just doing more of the smaller(quart)jars is your best bet.

Quote:

Is putting coffee filters over the jar lids along with polyfill overkill? Will the jars slow due to decrease air exchange?

IME yes and no. The jars should colonize well before the air gets stale, making the filters overkill.

-FF

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A few questions regarding my methods [Re: fastfred]
    #3078202 - 09/01/04 04:00 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

fastfred said:
Quote:

kitteh said:

IME yes and yes. Bigger jars just don't seem to work as well. Just doing more of the smaller(quart)jars is your best bet.

Gallon jars are fine for a spawn run, they take longer to colonize which allows for greater risk of contamination, they also require longer to pressure cook to sterilize but they are more than suitable if you have the capabilities to sterilize it, I used old mayonayse jugs for oyster spawn with no problem

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3078217 - 09/01/04 04:05 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

One of my biggest reasons not to rapidly cool dow jars is that no matter how well you may have them sealed off during cooling. The air outside the jar get sucked in no matter what you can do about it.

And the idea of burns or cuts isn't good. Wow that was a ruff story above wasn't it !

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation