Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebobstoner
st0ner

Psilocybe cubensis "Mazatapec" on straw
    #3068279 - 08/30/04 07:52 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

This is my first attempt @ bulk.  I am going with WBS spawned to straw.  I used 6 qts of spawn for this.  My thought on this is if I can get the straw to colonize fast enough it should help me beat contams.

This is my progress so far and I will update when I can :laugh:

a hobbit's foot got in the pic

about to pasturize the straw

thats some good lookin straw tea :laugh:

I know that isnt the right temp it is just a pic to show you a good method to check the temp, have your therm float with a piece of styrofoam(typo I am in a hurry)

And that is it for now.  I checked on it for the first time this morning and there is some growth.  I will update with pictures soon.

--------------------
bstoner

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineErik006
MushroomCultivator

Loc: Ontario
Re: BULK: Meza on Straw [Re: bobstoner]
    #3068944 - 08/30/04 11:50 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Looking very nice, I find that straw colonizes very quickly at the right temperature, and the fruits can be of insane size. Mixing in manure help to get more flushes, this may be something to think about for your next bulk grow.

Erik006

--------------------
At last you know what ineffable is, and what ecstacy means

Anonymous

#3069947 - 08/30/04 04:07 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

oh fuck yeah, i cant wait to see how this turns out.  good luck!  i hope you get a huge ass harvest; no contams :heart:

crazychemist only had a 70L sterilite, w/ 4.5qts of spawn, and he got 12oz dry.  you should get atleast a pound, make sure you patch and have even growth peaking through the casing layer. :wink:

Offlinebobstoner
st0ner

Re: BULK: Meza on Straw [Re: ]
    #3072922 - 08/31/04 07:06 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Erik: I would love to do some manure but right now I am stickin with just straw

Kotton: thx for the kind words.  CrazyChemist is who inspired this.

I was just wondering if you look @ the pic of the finished product up there.  It was very hard to get my plastic very tight to the surface of the straw.  Should I go back and try to fix this or not?  I kinda wanna just leave it alone so I dont introduce any contams, but I dunno what would be the better idea.  Also I am gonna wait to post any more pics until it is colonized pretty well, that is unless you guys wanna see some.

Also just as an update as I dont have any pics with this post, there are about 10 or so spots where the myc is poking through and seems to be moving pretty well.  I am thinking about opening up my incubator and then placing this this tub on top of it to help incubate it, as last time I checked the temp inside the bulk container is about 79-80 degrees. 

Post what you think, any comments are welcome.  Right now it is just a waiting game so reading what you guys have to say helps kill some time...I guess :laugh:

--------------------
bstoner

Anonymous

#3072957 - 08/31/04 07:27 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i see no problem with the plastic, unless you forgot to poke holes in it :tongue:  if you did poke holes, then yes, let it go.  take and post pics as YOU see fit.  this is your log.

as for incubating, bulk grows done like this can incubate themselves.  the mycelium gives off a few degrees of heat of its own, so im sure its about 82 - 83ish.(which is fine)  but dont take my word for it, let someone more experienced insight you about what to do here.  i mean incubating it wouldnt hurt anything...there is really only one way to find out what actually works better though, and thats to experiment for yourself.

good luck bro :heart:

Offlinebobstoner
st0ner

#3073085 - 08/31/04 08:27 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

My handy dandy drill helped me with the holes in my plastic :laugh:  When I get home I will check the temp again and if it isnt above 80 I shall incubate just a weeee bit.

I shall post a wee update tomorrow

--------------------
bstoner

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3073257 - 08/31/04 10:01 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

great...i can't wait to see it!

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: BULK: Meza on Straw [Re: myndreach]
    #3073403 - 08/31/04 10:55 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

a drill is a bit overkill for plastic wrap, a clean razor or fork would do fine. How are you incubating the bin?

Offlinebobstoner
st0ner

Re: BULK: Meza on Straw [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3077147 - 09/01/04 06:46 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Nahh it wasnt overkill, I just folded up the plastic and drilled it like 4 times and that made all the holes for me :laugh:.  Well it is incubating itself in my closet.  When I left this morning it was @ 85.0 degrees.  The AC wasnt on so when our AC is on it was @ like 82 or 83.  I am happy with that.  Also I went to take some pictures today and my camera batteries died :frown:.  So today will just be a text update.  The straw is about 25-30% colonized.

I am wondering, my straw seems to have moved away from the edges when I tucked in the plastic, would it be smart of me to push it down so the straw is nice and even and against the wall?  I just dont wanna do to much with it as I dont want it to contam, because that would suck.

--------------------
bstoner

Edited by bobstoner (09/01/04 06:51 AM)

Offlinebobstoner
st0ner

#3082223 - 09/02/04 10:39 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

??? any answers to the above question?

Also I probably wont be updating again until after this weekend. So my next pics should be of some fully colonized straw. Wish me luck.

--------------------
bstoner

Offlinecrazychemist
Spreader ofSpores

#3095808 - 09/05/04 05:31 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Looking great!  I was thinking after the first post that your technique looks familiar, I felt like I was viewing my old thread.  :smile:

Anyways, I would encourage you to exposes the straw to about 95F constantly.  I tried a second grow like my first and just let it go with the summer temps....  bad news, both contamed and took almost one month to colonize.  My other grow fully colonized in 9 days with no contams over its more than 2 month life of fruiting across 9-10 flushes and yes 12oz as stated above, thanks Kottonmouth. :wink:

One more thing, don't forget to dunk!
:goodluck:

:mushroom2:

--------------------
The worst mistake that you can make is to think you're alive when really you're asleep in life's waiting room.
-Waking Life

Offlinebobstoner
st0ner

Re: BULK: Meza on Straw [Re: crazychemist]
    #3102217 - 09/07/04 07:16 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Some updates.  I am so close to 100% it aint even funny.  Yesterday I PCed all my casing layer.  I ment to grab some pics of it but I didnt, not all that exciting anyway just some verm/coir in 8 1qt. jars.  I didnt know how much to make so I just made a shitload of it.  To make a nice even casing layer I am gonna make some rings out of paper (to lazy to go buy PVC or anything like that).  I will just cut some strips of paper then tape them together.  Anyone see any downsides to this?  Also I went to wallyworld yesterday and picked up some more spray bottles and some rubbing alcohol and peroxide.  So now I got 3 solutions: bleach, alcohol, and peroxide.  I was wondering when I apply the casing layer should I mist the surface of the straw with the peroxide solution?  I dunno if this would be overkill but I was just wondering as I have made it this far.

CC: I loved your log man, I was very excited to see you respond to mine.  I think maybe the reason it took so long for your second to colonize was maybe contams set in early on and caused the colonization to slow and then the contams just took over.  Trust me I will be dunking, but I am trying to think about how to do it.  I am just going to dunk in the tub, but I dunno what I am gonna do about letting it sit some, like how you let yours sit on oven racks(didnt you?.  I think mine might be a little to long to try that, so any ideas are welcome.

Time for some pics.  These were taken this morning.  I am hopeing by about 4 or 5 today it will be done so I can case it, but if I need to I will wait :frown: 

:crazy2:

--------------------
bstoner

Anonymous

#3103265 - 09/07/04 12:56 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

wow man, lookin good!  8 quarts worth of casing layer is plenty.  the more inches worth you put on, the longer it will take to colonize and the bigger the fruits :wink:  if you got a 3-4 incher,then your bound to get some foot longers. so make sure you still have a foot's worth of room for shrooms to grow if you put on that thick of a casing layer(so they got room enough to grow til viel breaks).

Since its your first time doin bulk, id suggest 2in at the most, but YOU do what YOU feel.  either way im praying for you to have an amazing grow with no contams.  keep visualizing success man :heart:

Offlinecrazychemist
Spreader ofSpores

#3110286 - 09/08/04 08:42 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, oven racks may no work with a tub of that size.  You can always try using two racks and having another person assist you in removing that massive load of straw from the tub. 

The are probably right about the contams.  The day I spawned was hot as hell and I was in a room with no windows or breeze for obvious reasons.  I was sweating like crazy and I think I dripped in the tubs.  :frown:  Growing for me works better in the winter, more stable temps in my area (indoors that is).

I want some pics with the plastic pulled up a bit, hard to see what is going on! 

Anyways, I hope this treats you as well it treated me.  By the looks of it you are well on your way to surpassing me.  As I said before I am no pro, just a guy who read enough to try the less traveled road and succeed at it.  I think I have inspired 10 or so people to try.  I'll keep my eye on your thread.

:mushroom2:

--------------------
The worst mistake that you can make is to think you're alive when really you're asleep in life's waiting room.
-Waking Life

Offlinebobstoner
st0ner

Re: BULK: Meza on Straw [Re: crazychemist]
    #3112546 - 09/09/04 07:01 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah I think I will deffinatly need help hoisting that brick outa there and putting it back in.

Same thing happened with me,  I saw 2 drops of sweat go in.  Scared me but maybe I am not as dirty as u  :tongue:

Ohh I got some pics for ya.  Trust me I know how many people you encouraged, I have read ur post prolly 20+ times.  Also the weird thing is we both cased on the 8th of the month (no I am not a stalker), but this is great because I can compare the progress.

So yesterday I decided it was time to case.  I had a lil spot of uncolonized straw, but I think I will be good.  My method was as follows:  First I misted the brick with 1:1 h202/water mixture. Then I laid down my homemade rings to get a level casing layer (it was just paper that I taped together that is what the blue dots are, it was the only tape I had).  Next I laid down the casing layer and then I again misted it with h202 mixture.  ON WITH THE PICS

Just for you CC :laugh:

looks dry because of the flash

2ft wide

1ft long

about 1.5ft high

Hope you enjoy.  I got it incubating right @ 84-86 should go fast, atleast I hope so.

--------------------
bstoner

Anonymous

#3114459 - 09/09/04 03:45 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

cant wait, cant wait!  :laugh:

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3115956 - 09/09/04 09:11 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Looking good! Are those more jars on the way or emptys? How deep is the casing + substrate?

Anonymous

Re: BULK: Meza on Straw [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3118133 - 09/10/04 11:01 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

those are the 8 jars of casing that he sterilized....

Offlinevc77
incarnate
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW US
    #3118383 - 09/10/04 12:14 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Damnnn, keep up the clean, professional work.

Invisibledr_gonz
. [Re: ]
    #3119022 - 09/10/04 02:44 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by dr_gonz<p>Reason for deletion: .

Edited by dr_gonz (11/09/20 02:50 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix