Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Rice Questions
    #3076722 - 09/01/04 02:40 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

First off, I'd like to say thanks to all of you guys and your efforts and such, you've helped me educate myself and also get free shroomies from buying fresh shrooms and printing them myself. I've been lurking in the shadows for a while, now I emerge.

Has anyone ever tried using a rice only growing medium? Is it possible?

...and also...

Has anyone tried to replace vermiculite with perlite in the PF Tek and actually come out with anything? I know perlite holds less water and the results would most likely suck, but has it/can it be done?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

Re: Rice Questions [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3076762 - 09/01/04 03:03 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i have and it doesnt work very well , 10 days without a sign of growth , yet i but in my backyard and it starts to grow? weird huh
PJ

OfflineZeroArmy27

Re: Rice Questions [Re: liveby]
    #3076791 - 09/01/04 03:17 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

which did you try? rice only or rice and perlite? i'd think the rice only would work a bit better, seeing as other grains work pretty well alone.. and if it was organic brown rice with the husk on some of the  grains still...

it started growing outside? did you take it out of the jar, or just plop the whole thing on the ground? :confused:

your reply was a bit foggy, but i forgive you. :grin:

Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

#3076843 - 09/01/04 03:36 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

rice with verm !

Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

#3076850 - 09/01/04 03:38 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

narh it had a filter , and was brown sunrice (peeled),and i it smelt off so i put it in the garden and covered with pineneedles then i saw some growth!

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #3076934 - 09/01/04 04:19 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Plenty of people have grown on plain rice. It sucks.

It works, but it sucks compared to almost every other substrate tried.

Your best bet is to avoid it.

-FF

OfflineZeroArmy27

Re: Rice Questions [Re: fastfred]
    #3081615 - 09/02/04 06:43 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

well what is the comparison between a PF cake and say, grain or birdseed? do you have to case grain/birdseed?

I have some really old quart jars that have no shoulders, they're old miracle whip jars. they're one piece lids and they're from the 60s or 70s. I found them while looking for a missing piece to my mom's old pressure cooker... I wonder if they would be useful in doing grain/birdseed stuff.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3081681 - 09/02/04 07:17 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Well... Are you talking about a PF cake or growing on rice? It's two different things.

Grain is, by far, the best substrate. Grain and grain poo is their natural habitat.

Yes you have to case (for best results) and yes it's more difficult to learn than the PF method.

You really can't compare the two, because grain is a bulk method whereas PF is a small-scale method.

OfflineDr_Nick_Riviera
Forum Guy

Loc: Australia
    #3081773 - 09/02/04 08:09 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

would you recommend casing when using brown rice flour and vermiculite? And also what kind of casing, eg. coco coir & verm or just verm?

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Rice Questions [Re: Dr_Nick_Riviera]
    #3081842 - 09/02/04 08:31 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

No, don't case the brf, just do them normally. If you are going to do casings use rye grain.

You could case them, and I've seen people do it before, but I wouldn't reccommend it.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #3082299 - 09/02/04 10:52 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

why not, fred?

--------------------
buh

OfflineZeroArmy27

Re: Rice Questions [Re: shirley knott]
    #3083792 - 09/02/04 04:48 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Well, I have tried my rice and perlite idea. I made the jars a week ago and sterilized. I got another batch of fresh B+ strain mushrooms and injected them. It's been about 5 days since.

Side note on the jars:
The Perlite was a pain because it didn't suck up all the water like vermiculite does. It did to an extent, just not quite as much as I expected. Luckily, I'm one of those that changes the content of each jar, seeing as I don't have this down quite right yet. I used the same amount of BRF in each jar, I just changed the amount of water I threw in there.

I've already emptied out 2 jars because they were just gross. Most of the BRF and water sank to the bottom of the jar and created a gooey, nasty mess. I'm pretty sure the mycellum would have a hell of a time making it through these sections. Luckily, I didn't waste any spore solution on those jars.

The two I had the least amount of water in seem to be fine. I have one jar with the beginnings of growth and I'm hoping the other will too. I put them in my incubator (IE - Cheap Rubbermaid knockoff container bought at Walmart and an extra heating pad I found in my closet set to low) today hoping it would speed up growth. It has, I've seen a noticable difference in about 8 hours. The little patch has doubled in size and the other injection site started to grow too.

Any ideas on how bad this cake is going to work out? I plan on also using the perlite humidification technique. I did it with my verm cakes and they are still on the 3rd flush. I'm getting mostly aborts now, but that doesn't bother me because I throw my aborts into a mushroom honey jar and let it sit for a while. Then I use the honey at a later point in time as my sugar in my tea when I need a little "Pick me up." The mushrooms don't go bad seeing as I dry them before I put them in there (more out of fear of them spoiling in the honey the other way).

2 questions:

1. With the perlite on the bottom acting as a "wick" of sorts, will the perlite in the jar continue the process into my cake? I'm sure nobody knows the answer exactly, but a little educated speculation would be nice.

2. Does anyone else use shroom honey? I find it can stretch the last bit of mushrooms I have. All the goodies seem to leech out into the honey, and the mushrooms stop losing their potency after I put them in there. Any bad experiences with the stuff?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate