Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinezipphreak
big-johnson
Loc: USA
led's as light sources
    #3069552 - 08/30/04 02:24 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Just wondering has anyone here experimented with the use of LED (Light emitting diodes), for use in growing mushies. Im aware mushroom do not need a whole lot of light, and was thinking that some high-intensity blue led's, maybe like 2-3 (depending on the size of the growing chamber), would do very nicely.

Thanks,
ZipPhReaK

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: led's as light sources [Re: zipphreak]
    #3069564 - 08/30/04 02:25 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I have read here somwhere about that very thing about 4 months back.  I think it would work.

And welcome to the shroomery :cool:

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3069920 - 08/30/04 04:01 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

:thumbup: works perfectly

--------------------
buh

Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
    #3073769 - 08/31/04 12:59 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I think mushrooms may only need enough light to initiate pinning.

--------------------

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: led's as light sources [Re: abhi]
    #3075453 - 08/31/04 07:56 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

LEDs produce a pretty monochromatic light. It might not work so good, unless you use the right wavelength...

Has anyone tried blue leds?

I might be wrong about this... If anyone has succeded with white or other colors, it would tend to disprove the blue is better theory.

-FF

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3075522 - 08/31/04 08:36 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

A good light source (intensity AND duration (12-16hrs) during pinning makes a noticable difference in pin count, but after the pins are set most any lighting will work. IMO

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: led's as light sources [Re: hyphae]
    #3075932 - 08/31/04 10:15 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Led's are overkill but they would work. I read somewhere that blue somewhere around 440-480nm makes more pins but im unsure if that was for cubes. My advice just use a cool tube floros since Led's just complicate things that shouldnt be.

Power consuption isnt a big thing whit groing shrooms, 10w/ft should be more then enough. And as hyphae said its only needed in long duration for pinning. Energy consumption is why people tried LED's for growing weed because you can select what wavelengths to give the plants.

OfflineCornelius
Heinous Anus
Male User Gallery

Loc: T.O.
    #3076087 - 08/31/04 10:50 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

just shine a flashlight on the tops of the cakes/casing for about a minute each day - did just fine for me....

OfflineHidingInPlainSight
Male User Gallery
Loc: Oklahoma City , OK, USA Flag
Re: led's as light sources [Re: Cornelius]
    #3076450 - 09/01/04 12:08 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Cornelius said:
just shine a flashlight on the tops of the cakes/casing for about a minute each day - did just fine for me....

hahahah what!? please tell me you are kidding!  :shocked:

OfflineOvermynd
Stranger
    #3076541 - 09/01/04 12:59 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

One blue LED rescued from a novelty glowing ice cube: $0
Bench power supply: on extended loan
: priceless

They work just fine, modern high-intensity blue LEDs put out the perfect light for our fungal friends. See ledmuseum.home.att.net and http://members.misty.com/don/ledx.html for just about every known piece of LED info ;)

I can't find my damn box o' LEDs for some reason (man I had like $20 worth of various colors in there) but I remembered I had a bunch of those ice cubes left over from someone's party. To get the LED out of those sealed ice cubes (an expensive way to get them if you lack free ones), score the bottom glue edge with a hacksaw, then crack it in a vise. The bottom pops off, revealing the goodness within.

Power it through a 100 ohm resistor off a 5 volt supply (such as the one in your PC), or 470 ohms off the 12 volt line. LEDs don't limit current like an incandescent bulb does, so if you give them too much voltage, they draw too much current and rapidly become a DED (dark-emitting diode), which may be useful for some but not for us :(

The series resistor is the current limiter when you power it off a higher-voltage power supply. The canonical javascript LED resistor calculator is here: http://linear1.org/ckts/led.php

Still waiting for the silicone to dry on my stealth windowed lid, hence the (not-so) opaque lid in that long exposure pic.

InvisibleIons
Bleh
Re: led's as light sources [Re: Overmynd]
    #3076545 - 09/01/04 01:01 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Can we see some more pictures of your grow chamber with the blue led on?

OfflineOvermynd
Stranger
Re: led's as light sources [Re: Ions]
    #3076596 - 09/01/04 01:42 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I'm just sort of hanging it in the corner by its wires, if you're doing this you should put it in the middle (tape it to the top, or shine it in through a window). Best thing to do with a single LED would be to put a piece of white plastic on the underside of the lid, point the LED at it, and let the bright spot of LED+reflected light be the stimulus. A better thing to do with multiple LEDs would be to arrange them along the top in a grid, so that the mushrooms grow straight up instead of bent toward a single light source at the center.

A single LED will be the brightest thing inside the chamber, and the shrooms will track it, so don't bother with reflecting it off the sides. I've actually done this partly as an experiment to see where they point; even with it shining at the opposite wall, most of pins point at the main LED itself. Some others are very close to the foil and may be getting confused by the reflection. I'll put some pics up in a growlog post soon ;)

A little calculation:
I'm running this one at 3 volts, 20 ma; the bond style looks like the die's made by Cree, so given that it's somewhere around 8 lumens per watt out based on Don Klipstein's figures. (I blew the fuse in my multimeter and can't solar-cell-measure for myself yet). A 15 watt nightlight bulb also puts out around 8 lumens per watt (pretty low even for an incandescent due to their design). My LED is running on 3*.02 = 0.06 W (60 mW), so it's producing around 0.48 lumens and doing a pretty good job of initiating pinning at that. Compare with a 100-watt incandescent that produces around 1750 lumens.
Conclusion: Mushrooms don't need that much light ;)

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
Re: led's as light sources [Re: fastfred]
    #3076725 - 09/01/04 02:42 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

fastfred said:
LEDs produce a pretty monochromatic light. It might not work so good, unless you use the right wavelength...

Has anyone tried blue leds?

I might be wrong about this... If anyone has succeded with white or other colors, it would tend to disprove the blue is better theory.

-FF

White light is comprised of blue aswell so it would be hard to disprove anything regarding that.

OfflineOvermynd
Stranger
Re: led's as light sources [Re: utopianglory]
    #3076803 - 09/01/04 03:22 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

White LEDs are a blue-emitting chip covered with yellowish phosphor (the gunk you see inside them, filling the reflective cup). The typical spectrum has a big blue spike (from the LED of course), and a band from green through red coming from the fluorescent phosphor coating. Nichia's phosphor (the most common type) is deficient in blue-green and red, but neither of these wavelength ranges is of much use to us. Very new LEDs (i.e. recent manufacture) have a slightly improved mix and are a little better in this regard. There are some new white ZnSe-coated LEDs which have a broader spectrum, but they are very hard to get right now and don't last as long as common blue+phosphor white LEDs. You won't find a ZnSe one at the corner store for a while ;)

OfflineCornelius
Heinous Anus
Male User Gallery

Loc: T.O.
Re: led's as light sources [Re: HidingInPlainSight]
    #3077319 - 09/01/04 08:08 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ledzepln86 said:
Quote:

Cornelius said:

hahahah what!? please tell me you are kidding!  :shocked:

no - I'm serious - my mushies were growing downwards until I started doing this and it corrected the problem...

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: led's as light sources [Re: Cornelius]
    #3077681 - 09/01/04 10:55 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Shit I just read in another thread Myc Pins and makes shrooms in complete darkness....... So I dont know what to believe???

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: led's as light sources [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3077690 - 09/01/04 10:59 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Yes they do, but it takes a lot longer and they grow lighter and twisted. The potency is just fine though.

-FF

Edited by fastfred (09/01/04 11:58 AM)

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: led's as light sources [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3077829 - 09/01/04 11:50 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Fucknuckle said:
Shit I just read in another thread Myc Pins and makes shrooms in complete darkness....... So I dont know what to believe???

Not cubies! Thats BS Cubies are "photosensitive" and light has been proven to be stimulatory to pinhead initiation and is critcal for normal development of the fruitbody. As little as half a millisecond per day caues primordia to form but one wants much more for any type of good pinset (12-16hrs.)

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: led's as light sources [Re: hyphae]
    #3077851 - 09/01/04 11:57 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

hyphae said:
Not cubies! Thats BS Cubies are "photosensitive" and light has been proven to be stimulatory to pinhead initiation and is critcal for normal development of the fruitbody.

You're wrong hyphae. Shrooms will grow in complete darkness, try it and you'll find out.

Quote:

As little as half a millisecond per day caues primordia to form but one wants much more for any type of good pinset (12-16hrs.)

And how do you know that? You got one of those 1/2 millisecond light timers?

-FF

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: led's as light sources [Re: fastfred]
    #3078549 - 09/01/04 03:42 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

You happy will them yields FF? Get a clue. You seem much more like a troll from what I've seen from you and definitely not beneficial to the newbie at all. I am not going to follow your poor lead as it will go nowhere. You are a waste of my energies to say the least but I'm glad your here to give people perspective! GL bro

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck