Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesonichell
journeyman
question
    #306564 - 05/01/01 12:16 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

HOw would one go about selectivley breeding mushrooms? If one cloned and grew out that, then took spores, cloned again for desired charachteristics, took spores, repeated process, ect. Would this inbreed the desired charachteristics into the spores?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegray1
addict

Loc: brooklyn
Re: question [Re: sonichell]
    #306711 - 05/01/01 02:36 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

basically, without getting into the semantics of evolutionary theories, yes. if you continually select for the desired characteristics in your mushrooms, you will end up with a strain that predominantly has your desired qualities.

Offlinedarkangel932
Re: genetics
    #306965 - 05/01/01 07:33 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

THis is true Azure. This site is phenomenal if we have people so ambitious. Now I really wonder (and hope) do these people have the equipment to do these kind of studies? If so keep a postin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Re: question [Re: sonichell]
    #307015 - 05/01/01 08:31 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Just by growing them, you are selectively breeding them. Your substrate, temperature, moisture content, humidity, etc.. all act to selectively breed the shrooms. You are not going to establish a homozygous mushroom spore race. Psilocybin mushrooms prefer to outbreed. When you use a single print to multispore germinate, you are inbreeding. Only 1/4 of the spores from that print can mate with any of the others from that same print. The mushrooms grown from those matings will already resemble the donor shroom, that's as close as your gonna get to a homozygous shroom spore race. Their similarities will far outway their differences. You can select from those strains, ones that prefer a certain substrate, temperature, humidity, moisture content, etc... but that strain has to be used in a Dikaryotic state, i.e not spores.

Offlinegray1
addict

Loc: brooklyn
    #307379 - 05/02/01 07:11 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

not too concerned about how lucrative ($) any research would be. i see it, as unfortunate as it may be, to be a long time before the us government changes drug policy, and i have no interest in being imprisoned, especially for an ethic system i don't believe in. that would infuriate me.

however, i am also equally interested in thc research. the problem that i am encountering is that while i have just started reading, i have yet to find sufficient information about the physiological processes underlying the formation of whatever the entheogen of interest is. basically, genes don't directly make thc or psilocin... genes simply encode for proteins, which can act as enzymes, building blocks, precursors, neurotransmitters, peptide hormones, etc... therefore, creating a molecule such as psilocin must be a complex process that involves the interaction of several genes and several substrates, modification enzymes, etc...
what i'm interested in is learning about what is involved in the entire process, from transcription to final product.

i would be pleased to read any thoughts and/or suggestions, especially ones pointing me in the direction of relevant literature, abstracts, etc...

and theoretically, transforming e.coli with plasmids containing the desired genes is simpler and a precursor to acctually creating transgenic plants. bacteria are basically biological factories in this sense.

c12h16n24ohdmt

Invisiblesolidstate
journeyman
Re: genetics [Re: gray1]
    #307431 - 05/02/01 09:54 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

you have now entered uncharted waters, doubt your gonna find much info about that...research into any aspect of psychedelics was pretty much banned & buried in red tape back in the 70's, hardly any research going on even today...you will probably have to figure it out yourself, but would be an interesting project, good luck

Anonymous

#307457 - 05/02/01 10:47 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Your best bet would be to research other secondary metabolites and their production. Many secondary metabolites have been labeled socialy positive and medicaly beneficial. Study these. Their has been alot of research into non Hallucenogenic secondary metabolites. I don't know if much has been done in the fungal world, higher fungi. Visit an Agricultural university library and do a search for secondary metabolites. Don't know what your goal is? In the plant world, research is extensive. Got to be a bit of info related to fungus, secondary metabolite production. Try looking under Ergotamine.

OfflinewhyIdied

Loc: The exact center of the e...
    #308179 - 05/03/01 12:50 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

So are you thinking of putting the genetics that produce psilocybin/psilocin/baeocystin into a bacteria that will mass produce those chemicals? I know they did something like that with human insulin...OR are you thinking of altering fungi to be more potent?

The THC idea is briliant! Imagine growing a bean plant that you could dry and smoke like pot...it'ld throw the enemy into confusion! They wouldn't know what to do!

...slow moves, sweet feet...

--------------------
...slow moves, sweet feet...

OfflineMPG
Loc: B.C.,MI,USA
Re: genetics [Re: whyIdied]
    #308182 - 05/03/01 12:54 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Does anyone know of someone who has successfully grafted a Canabis plant with a hops plant? I was wondering if the rumor was true.
Peace,
MPG

Offlinenononsense
enthusiast

#308203 - 05/03/01 01:41 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Man, there are so many genes involved in the production of thc, it is still impossible to get those (a lot) genes affected so they produce more thc, bigger plants etc!!

--------------------

Offlineanima
dusty shelf
 User Gallery

Loc: WAY out there.
Re: genetics [Re: MPG]
    #308333 - 05/03/01 07:27 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

MPG, I have seen pictures, but not actually the real thing. It's quite possible.

I was here but now I'm not, I have gone to smoke some pot. Left this here to make a point, if you wanna get high all it takes is a joint

--------------------
It might be the early bird that gets the worm. But its the second mouse that gets the cheese

Offlinesylo
addict
Re: genetics [Re: MPG]
    #309079 - 05/04/01 02:37 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

That hops/pot graft story has been around for a very long time. Someone doing research for the government back in the 50's made grafts of hops tops with grass roots. It is possible but not easily done. They tested the hops leaves for the good stuff and found them to be just as potent as Canabis leaves. Great news for those interested in stealth growing. Did they test the leaves for THC? No. Cheap, easy tests for THC were not available then. Did they Zig-zag test them? No. This was up-tight government research. They tested the leaves for potency by making an extract and putting a known volume of the extract into petri dishes of water with live fleas kicking around on the surface. Potency was judged by how long it took the extract to inmobilize the fleas. They found that a hop leaf extract inmobilizes fleas just as well as a canabis extract. The conclusion that the hops leaves were psychoactive was wrong because the test for activity was bogus.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck