Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Isn't religion wierd? [Re: Zahid]
    #3071678 - 08/30/04 11:13 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Zahid said:
Which is what they're doing... just because one's spirituality is centered around the man Jesus, or the teachings of Mohammed doesn't mean that individual reasoning is abandoned. It's another method of apprehension; that of spirit.  :heart:

You're not getting it, man.  If you truly thought for yourself, you wouldn't need to conform your beliefs to any one sect or denomination.  There are quite a few Christians and Muslims who think for themselves(though sadly not nearly enough).  Markos is a great example of what I'm talking about.  He's a Christian, yet also follows aspects of Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.  He's not bound by any one ideology, and cannot be pigeon-holed into one denomination.  Following a particular church or sect is essentially forfeiting one's capacity for independent thought.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: Isn't religion wierd? [Re: silversoul7]
    #3072138 - 08/31/04 01:21 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Quote:

Zahid said:
Which is what they're doing... just because one's spirituality is centered around the man Jesus, or the teachings of Mohammed doesn't mean that individual reasoning is abandoned. It's another method of apprehension; that of spirit.  :heart:

You're not getting it, man.  If you truly thought for yourself, you wouldn't need to conform your beliefs to any one sect or denomination.  There are quite a few Christians and Muslims who think for themselves(though sadly not nearly enough).  Markos is a great example of what I'm talking about.  He's a Christian, yet also follows aspects of Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.  He's not bound by any one ideology, and cannot be pigeon-holed into one denomination.  Following a particular church or sect is essentially forfeiting one's capacity for independent thought.

No - you misunderstood me. I am talking about basic reform in religious ideas; i.e., moving away from the literalism of the past. Like Irshad Manji's The Trouble with Islam or Rev. John Shelby Spong's Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism. Markos, like any mystic, is able to incorporate the teachings of other faiths because all religions are elaborate 'records' of the God experience; but much of his God experience revolves around the Christ man - the Spirit of God. For me, the Holy Qur'an captures that spiritual focus - but ends there for me, with my unique union with the Recitation.

I do not dismiss other faiths, as your post suggests. I consider all religions ideas that pertain to the same experience - the God experience. My school of thought resembles much of what the Pir-o-Murshid Khan taught, that every man is his own religion - a spiritual struggle (jihad) of an individual to become individuated by overcoming the false ego. 'Love is a furnace, and ego its fuel.' I certainly have never disregarded Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhism and other fine faiths that have different methods of understanding the One Divine. There are gnostics (knowers) in every faith, Markos happens to be a Christian gnostic. You've greatly misunderstood my intentions, because like Markos, one's gnosis is what allowed me to witness the process of the individuated self; self realization, self awakening to the God spark within. The only belief I testify to is the invisible Love.  :heart:

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
Re: Isn't religion wierd? [Re: silversoul7]
    #3073627 - 08/31/04 12:16 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

:a never understood, how religions, who obviously praise the same g*d, as christians, jews and muslims can become so hostiled for each other... (see 'father Abraham')
that makes it very obvious for me, that humans have tainted these believes.
If the members of one family will kill each others, how is it to hope for all religions to finally come together, because they all have the same, or very similar intentions ?

At first, unite the family again !

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]