Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
Fedora
    #3072680 - 08/31/04 04:10 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I'm installing Fedora right now onto a computer a built for webhosting/FTP.

I'm excited.

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecosmicray
Emaho!

Re: Fedora [Re: Kremlin]
    #3073132 - 08/31/04 09:07 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Sweet. I'm thinking about updating my desktop -- it's still running RH 7.2. I can't decide between Fedora and Gentoo. Gentoo sounds cool, but I know RH already. Got anything in mind for what you want to do with webhosting?

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#3073574 - 08/31/04 11:58 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

gross.

gentoo4lyfe.

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Re: Fedora [Re: cosmicray]
    #3076484 - 09/01/04 12:17 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I just want to host a personal web development space so i can fuck with PHP and mysql at will, as i like to develop alot.

In terms of Gentoo, i didnt even look at it. I did fedora upon reccomendation from a friend.

--Krem

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #3076496 - 09/01/04 12:21 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Fedora is decent for a beginner desktop distro, but if you really want to use a Red Hat distro, why not Red Hat Server?

Personally, I'd also go with Gentoo (it's what I'm running now), it's easier to install as a stripped down system for server use, but I guess it might be a little overwhelming if you're not comfortable in a Unix environment.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#3076497 - 09/01/04 12:21 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

fedora is redhat, translation faggotry on linux.  Might as well run windows and be gay.

:smile:

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Fedora [Re: Barbi]
    #3076555 - 09/01/04 01:06 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Fedora has one advantage over Gentoo; it takes a bit of effort to completely fuck up the install. So you can give it to your mom to install or whatever.

But there are all kinds of downsides... ever try to upgrade to the latest kernel on a Fedora system? Trying to install an RPM to discover that you're missing a bunch of dependancies, then downloading those, only to discover you need a few more libraries to get THEM running? Using reiserfs?

It's easy to setup, but a complete bitch to tweak. Also, you can install a fully functioning desktop system in around an hour and a half... try doing that with Gentoo.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

InvisibleAhronZombi
AhronZombi

Re: Fedora [Re: Phluck]
    #3076563 - 09/01/04 01:15 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

WRONG you can use the same installer that installs redhat anaconda to install gentoo with. you just gotta look for the iso

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Fedora [Re: AhronZombi]
    #3076575 - 09/01/04 01:23 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Hrmm... cool. I was not aware.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#3076580 - 09/01/04 01:30 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I found this:
http://gentoo.vidalinux.com/?q=node/view/35

Seems it doesn't install and configure absolutely everything, but brings to a complete stage 3 system, which isn't bad. If you could compile everything from stage 1, it would probably be worth using. It would be nice to see the project advance enough that everything could be automated, then it would certainly be worth giving to my mom to install. (As long as I could convince her it's worth it to wait the long hours to compile).

--------------------

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

#3076587 - 09/01/04 01:37 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I've run slackware, debian and redhat, so its not that im afraid of the unix environment (although it has been a while).

i love you too mnd

--Krem

--------------------

-George Gissing

--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Jump to top Pages: 1