Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSCIOpenEyedDream
DillusionalDreamer

Loc: Western Europe
Longest wait
    #3072757 - 08/31/04 06:55 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

What's the longest you've had to wait to see signs of colonization using rye? Don't give me that "be patient" bullshit... I am being patient :smile:  Just curious if anyone else experience long waiting periods before any sign of myc on the rye. I'm going to give it a week or two though since I'm not using an incubator and the temps are at the mid 70s... no doubt that will fuck the timetables a bit :smile:

--------------------
Everything I say on this board is a lie.

Eat more string cheese. It's good for you.

Edited by SCIOpenEyedDream (08/31/04 07:00 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Longest wait [Re: SCIOpenEyedDream]
    #3072795 - 08/31/04 07:20 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

The longest ive seen it take is 4-5 days. When you innoculated did you spray directly in the middle of the jar, or to the sides of it?? That can make a difference. I reccomend you spray it to the sides. Also if you put them in an incubator that will help.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

OfflineSCIOpenEyedDream
DillusionalDreamer

Re: Longest wait [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3072906 - 08/31/04 08:58 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Middle and then shook it.

--------------------

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#3072925 - 08/31/04 09:07 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Hrmm, that could be the reason. Just let em go for awhile, they will probably colonize slower at your temps. Also if your temps are fluctuating that will affect colonization time as well, so try and keep em constant.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

OfflineSCIOpenEyedDream
DillusionalDreamer

#3072930 - 08/31/04 09:11 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Fuck it. I'm the least patient person in the world. I'm gonna leave now to go get a submersable heater. Later

--------------------

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#3072946 - 08/31/04 09:21 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

If you dont have patience this may not be the hobby for you.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

OfflineSCIOpenEyedDream
DillusionalDreamer

#3073641 - 08/31/04 02:20 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

As for the last comment... I've made it work many times before with verm/brf and it took 20+ days to colonize... I just thought rye was quicker. Thanks for the caring thought though *rolls eyes*

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3074909 - 08/31/04 06:59 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

It is quicker. Do 1/2 pint jars of rye and they'll be done in much less then 20 days. :smile:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3074927 - 08/31/04 07:05 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I am afraid to say anything you might take it to personal.
If it is taking 20+ days to colinize then why are you disapointed it may take a week or two??????

Getting an incubator set up is the right thing to do dude.
1/2 pint jars can finish in as fast as 8-10 days at 86 degs.

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

OfflineSCIOpenEyedDream
DillusionalDreamer

Re: Longest wait [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3076921 - 09/01/04 06:10 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Haha, I don't take things personal often... just stupid that he's like "quit the hobby" because I'm looking for quicker ways. I'm gonna try 1/2 pint jars soon though. Thanks for the responces :smile:

--------------------

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #3076944 - 09/01/04 06:28 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

You should see growth in your grain jars within 2-4 days if you use mycelium innoculant. 3-4 days longer if you used spores.

Grain jars should colonize in 2 weeks or so. With good technique they can be fully colonized in about a week from innoculation.

Incubators are overrated, IMHO. While they certainly do speed up growth, they are often more trouble than they are worth. At best, you're going to see 10-20% speedup.

-FF

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#3076951 - 09/01/04 06:34 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i didnt say quit, i said this may not be a hobby for you if you dont have patience. If you have never done grains before you may end up haveing to do it a couple of times before you get it right. There is a possibility you have sour rot if there is no growth. It can be very common. Considering quart jars usually only take 9 days to fully colonize i cant imagine why you would complain, or be looking for faster ways. Did your first grow ever go exactly as planned??? I guess what im saying is stop being a whiny little girl with sand in her vagina and learn to take some criticism.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

OfflineSCIOpenEyedDream
DillusionalDreamer

#3076966 - 09/01/04 06:40 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Read the post, ass. I had shit colonize in BRF and Verm in 20+ days. I'm looking for faster ways so I'm trying rye. No results yet. This is my first rye grow. I was curious about the longest time people have went without any growth showing. People have helped. To those of you who helped and didn't suggest quitting, thanks. It was useful info.

--------------------

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Longest wait [Re: fastfred]
    #3077078 - 09/01/04 07:53 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

fastfred said:Grain jars should colonize in 2 weeks or so.  With good technique they can be fully colonized in about a week from innoculation.

Incubators are overrated, IMHO.  While they certainly do speed up growth, they are often more trouble than they are worth.  At best, you're going to see 10-20% speedup.

-FF

er....  :thumbdown:

--------------------
buh

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Longest wait [Re: shirley knott]
    #3077130 - 09/01/04 08:30 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

How about actually writing something?

Try using points and facts rather than just posting a tiny icon. You'll win more arguments that way.

-FF

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3077134 - 09/01/04 08:33 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i've seen you 'winning arguments' and making friends in the advanced cultivation forum  :rotfl:

you don't belong in there, by the way. disagreeing with Una, Anno, and Stamets all in one thread shows some arrogance.

--------------------
buh

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Longest wait [Re: shirley knott]
    #3077156 - 09/01/04 08:54 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I forget what the dissagreement with Anno was... I've argued with more people than that. Baby Hitler and raadt for example. I've been wrong once or twice and accepted my defeats. Much has been learned from those debates.

As far as Stamets... He was either quoted out of context, or he was just plain wrong. I have much respect for him, but nobody is right all the time. When he disagrees with the entire body of literature on the subject, I call him on it.

Thanks for telling me where I do and don't belong, but I tend to go where I please. Again, if you have any problems with what I've said let's discuss it instead of beating around the bush with needless put-downs.

-FF

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3077185 - 09/01/04 09:05 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

nothing further to discuss. as you say, public disagreements can get messy, so i apologise if i was disrespectful. my apologies also to the starter of this thread, which is now way off-topic.

if, as you say, you've argued with many experienced growers and admitted errors already, i suggest that you do not respond with 'answers' to others' queries on cultivation without first hand experience (i.e. you've done it yourself rather than read it somewhere). i've yet to hear your answers when directly questioned by Una and others on which species you have yourself cultivated?

enjoy the shroomery. be nice to people. your reputation will be based entirely on what we see you grow, say, and do.

--------------------
buh

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #3077197 - 09/01/04 09:09 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I have a bag that 100% colonized and wont fruit.... the substrate was 50% coffee and 50% WBS, it's been 2 years but I'll be patient...

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Longest wait [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3077291 - 09/01/04 09:55 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

>i suggest that you do not respond with 'answers' to others' queries on cultivation without first hand experience

I don't like to admit to criminal behavior in public fourms, because, of course, I'm a good boy and never do anything wrong. Officialy I only grow medicinal and gourmet mushrooms. But I do have plenty of experience.

What have I said that would make you think otherwise? Simply because I may factor the variables a different way and come to different conclusions about what is and isn't a waste of time in specific instances doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about.

I've grown many medicinal mushies using the simplest of methods and I don't think it's right to give all these noobs the idea that they need to build all these complicated setups. They can do just fine using a minimal setup. Luckily I decided to use the simplest method my first time, but I've seen plenty of people have failures because they decided they needed to combine a dozen different teks.

They all have their place, but they aren't the best way for a noob to get foolproof and low-cost results with a simple setup.

-FF

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation