Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemagnusra

Re: whats wrong with this picture?
    #306927 - 05/01/01 09:26 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I believe it's the ramsey tek, correct? But anyway yea, it is just an over-complication of a simple process. As is said in science "If two hypothesis come to the same conclusion keep the simpler of the two and discard the other" Just substitute hypothesis for tek.

--------------------
[red]* The above post is not meant to be the thoughts and/or opinions of the author. I am relaying information for an acquintance and only write in first-person to simplify the process[/red]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: whats wrong with this picture? [Re: magnusra]
    #307248 - 05/02/01 01:26 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Could somebody please explain to me the benifits of the 'ramsey seal'? I must be blind or something bacause I dont see any. As soon as that needle pops a hole in the foil beneath... all your verm just pours through it like an hourglass and leaves a big gap of air inside........... useless I tell ya.

anyways, origional poster.... just drop in a handful of verm over your substrate... no foil.... just fill an inch of verm to the top... then put a peice of foil 'OVER' it, then put your lid on, then screw on the ring... the foil is to keep water out while you boil or PC.

OfflinewhyIdied

Loc: The exact center of the e...
Re: whats wrong with this picture? [Re: Anonymous]
    #307261 - 05/02/01 01:57 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

The spilling of the vermiculite doesn't always happen. You have to be careful, but it seems logical to me that you are decreasing the available surface of the substrate to infection. 2 - 4 holes the size of a needle is much smaller than the entire upper substrate surface!

As for Max's question, I think that the "cone" shape is a reference to the "pond" shape in the tec I read. A cone with it's nose cut off, maybe. The terms "pond" and "cone" are both confusing. Isn't the idea to just put some foil between the vermiculite and substrate, basically?

--------------------
...slow moves, sweet feet...

Offlinehatter
addict
Re: whats wrong with this picture? [Re: whyIdied]
    #307263 - 05/02/01 02:06 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Without that darned seal you can fit a heckuva lot more verm on top...BTW, with the ramsey seal and its 'pond' you actually have a higher possibility of contams due to that pond...Think about it, you are innoculating in 'the shallow end' of the seal, and contams are more likely to seep through that than an inch thick solid verm barrier.

The only jars I have ever lost were with the Ramsey..

How is a raven like a writing desk?

--------------------

How deep is the rabbit hole? To find out, go.to/FreeSporeRing

OfflinewhyIdied

Re: whats wrong with this picture? [Re: hatter]
    #307265 - 05/02/01 02:12 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Maybe the Ramsey isn't the best, but I've never heard a complaint before. If your foil is hovering above the substrate, then that's a problem. But if your foil goes to the end of the jar and then straight up, like the concrete walls of a swimming pool, then I can only see advantage to the ramsey seal.

--------------------

Offlinehatter
addict
    #307267 - 05/02/01 02:19 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

You mentioned your poor colonization speed in another thread...that is the biggest drawback to the Ramsey.

--------------------

OfflinewhyIdied

#307292 - 05/02/01 03:34 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

OK, not to be argumentative or anything, but...
I also mentioned in that thread that the slow colonization speed was probably due to them getting dehydrated. My 1pint jars of 10 days are almost completely finished colonizing, whereas I also have 1/2 pint jars that are in their 6th week, all (both sets) with the ramsey seal. My problem was the 95f temps (in the first set). I am actually putting the dried cakes on wet perlite, and they are perking up again.
As for the Ramsey seal ---I don't know! Maybe you're right, but I am just saying that the concept makes sence to me. I have never worked without it, so I wouldn't know from experience, directly. No growing tec in the grow/find section recommends against it, I think. But as I said, I don't know, I'm just saying that the ramsey seal makes sence to me. M'kay?

--------------------

Offlinehatter
addict
    #307304 - 05/02/01 03:54 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Hey man, if you haven't had any probs. with it, then it's all good!

Yeah, I wouldn't let the temps get above 84F personally...that could very well be your problem. What have you been using as your heating method?

Good Luck, and sorry to bust your balls!

--------------------

OfflinewhyIdied

#307316 - 05/02/01 04:16 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

My heating meathod (first time ever) for that batch was to stick them near the radiator in my cold apt. and go home for spring break! I have since built a (overly complex, maybe) HEPA filtered - incubator that both heats the air and stops all airborne contamination so that the babies can breathe.

As for my balls, they were definitely getting worried, but that's ok. I am sure that most people here know more than me, but I am trying to get involved.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds