Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblefearfect
Loc: Flag
Re: BASIC Grain Prep [Re: utopianglory]
    #3075966 - 08/31/04 10:21 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i tried WBS and failed miserably, I think due to incorrect water content.... i assume it was too wet for the spores to germinate and they barely started colonizing after over 2 weeks and eventually contaminated due to it taking so long to start.

I'm proud to say though that my pressure cooker is pregnant and will be delivering some new RYE jars in a little bit. I'm a happy daddy. I can't wait to see the kids.

I followed this to the letter and am hoping for the best
soak 24 hours
simmer ~30 minutes
drain WELL
PC little over 1.5 hours in a 12psi cooker

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: BASIC Grain Prep [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3076975 - 09/01/04 04:46 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Fucknuckle said:
Soak 24 hours in water, however you like.

Simmer on med heat until the grains just start to split.

Drain very,very well, however you like

Fill any size jar 75%

Good post Fucknuckle, I gave you 5 shrooms. People have been overcomplicating a simple process for far too long.

I have an even simpler process than yours...
1. Soak 24 hours in water, however you like.
2. Drain very,very well, however you like
3. Fill any size jar 75%

The simmering of the grain is a waste of time IMHO. Rye, at least, will soak up plenty of water in 24 hours, to the point where you have to drain it very well.

I also recommend soaking the grain in a cool place to reduce bacterial problems and limit any chance of germination.

-FF

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: BASIC Grain Prep [Re: fastfred]
    #3077086 - 09/01/04 05:55 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

fastfred, have you ever grown mushrooms?

i keep seeing you post that 'iyho' incubators, simmering grain, and sensible agar recipes are all a waste of time.

--------------------
buh

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: BASIC Grain Prep [Re: shirley knott]
    #3077127 - 09/01/04 06:28 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

My opinion might not be popular, but I stick by it. :wink:

I've never said that sensible agar recipes are a waste of time.  The rest of my comments are usually qualified by the fact that I'm writing to noobs who are talking about elaborate setups for their first 1 dozen jar grow.  Simplicity is the best method for noobs.

Personally I have an incubator, flow hood, etc.  If you are doing a small batch though, it is far better to simply wait another 2-3 days rather than make an elaborate and expensive setup.  It's far more foolproof IMHO.

-FF

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3077598 - 09/01/04 10:21 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

It very important to simmer grain!!! Want proof??

While I have never done this exactly I am quite sure it would go just like this.....

Take 2 cups of your grain and soak 24 hours like you said and remeasure it???  About 3 cups mabey??

More water avaiable to the fungus the fatter and more plentful the harvest, silly :crazy2:

Now take 2 cups of grain and soak for 24 hours then simmer until grains just split. Now remeasure . How much have you got???? I bet it would be 4 cups or more

You can talk all you want but experience is the teacher and words are just guides.ANd I think I agree with shirly you are not coming from " Down home expereince....Bro"

Paul Stamets is Fungus Humungus in my mind.When you talk in a negtive way about him ,That is like talking about every shrommer's momma. :thumbdown:

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3077680 - 09/01/04 10:55 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Fucknuckle said:
It very important to simmer grain!!! Want proof??

Yes.

Quote:

Now take 2 cups of grain and soak for 24 hours then simmer until grains just split. Now remeasure . How much have you got???? I bet it would be 4 cups or more

So you're saying that it's less dense or that it's absorbed more water?

Quote:

You can talk all you want but experience is the teacher and words are just guides.ANd I think I agree with shirly you are not coming from " Down home expereince....Bro"

Well you would be wrong about that. I've done many, many jars of rye with excellent results. I've never simmered any of it. I have simmered millet, and my conclusion is that cracked millet results in poor performance.

So to cut to the point... Do you have to simmer rye? No, not at all. You can get nice healthy flushes covering every square inch of surface area for a solid three flushes without simmering anything.

Maybe you can get some small improvement by simmering it. I'm certainly not claiming that your technique doesn't work, but it's certainly not required. I'll try simmering some for a comparison, but it would have to do pretty damn good to beat the results I've had without simmering.

Quote:

Paul Stamets is Fungus Humungus in my mind.When you talk in a negtive way about him ,That is like talking about every shrommer's momma.

Whoa! I'm not badmouthing Stamets. I respect him a ton. I'm not even sure that what I disputed was a correct quote. But it didn't even make sense, let alone being correct. Again, he is a great man, but that doesn't make him right in every instance, particularly not that one.

-FF

Edited by fastfred (09/01/04 11:07 AM)

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3077685 - 09/01/04 10:57 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

OK you win :rolleyes:

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

OfflinecountZero
the strange
Loc: South Africa
    #3082138 - 09/02/04 10:17 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I think if one is using a grain other than rye e.g. popcorn then the simmering part is necessary. Although I haven't had a huge success with grain I did learn one thing. after soaking popcorn for 24hrs I split it into 2 batches. 1 I simmered for an hour then PCd 90 mins. The other I PCd immediatley for 90 mins. The result was that the one I didn't Simmer didn't even innoculate at all. Like I said I haven't had huge success with grain but I'm sure there is an even better way of getting those popcorn krenals to soak up more moisture.

Maybe soaking it for 72hrs 1st(hopefully they won't start growing) and then heating in water (not simmering) for another few hours?

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: BASIC Grain Prep [Re: countZero]
    #3085898 - 09/03/04 02:13 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

72 hrs is probably too long IMO. You'll probably have rotting by then.

-FF

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale