Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePurplehaze
MarijuanaMastery
Help Identify
    #3070597 - 08/30/04 08:55 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Just now got done looking and i found or mushrooms by some cow crap (sorry Gumby) and ill give a desctiption of them. The stem and the top part of the cap is white, the cap is flat, not totally and has around 2 holes in it and is about 3 inches wide and the wrinkly underside of the shroom(sorry dont know the name, gills?) is cinnamon brown it looks like. Also the stem is 2 in a half inches long.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePurplehaze
MarijuanaMastery
Re: Help Identify [Re: Purplehaze]
    #3070888 - 08/30/04 10:16 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

a. Habitat [Missouri/Holden/United States] Grew by or on cow crap
b. Characteristics of the gills (Cinnamon or dark brown, dont know what attatched is, they are just under it, and what are pores?)
c. Measurements of cap and stem.Stem-2 in a half inches tall, Cap-3 inches wide
d. Characteristics of the stem (Light yellow-white, smooth, solid, thick, etc)
e. Characteristics of the cap (Light yellow-white, smooth, kind of flat and has 3 tiny holes on it)
f. Spore print color I put cut the stem and put the cap on white paper and it printed a very light brown color, darker in some spots(very important!)
g. Color that the mushroom bruises, didnt see any bruises, but it was a little yellow in some spots
h. Scent of mushroom, smelled like a regular mushroom I guess

I wish I had a camera really bad to give a pic but I described the best I could.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Help Identify [Re: Purplehaze]
    #3073760 - 08/31/04 02:57 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

When we ask about if the gills are attached or free, we need to know if they are attached to the stem. Cut your specimen in half vertically, and it should be obvious if the gills are attached to the stem or not.

Is there a ring on the stem?

For the spore print, try leaving the cap on the paper overnight to make sure you get a good, heavy deposit of spores.

To check for bruising color, use one of the halves of the mushroom after you cut it in half and scrape the inside with your knife edge hard enough to bruise the tissue. Color changes can take up to an hour.

Your "3 tiny holes" in the cap were probably caused by maggots tunneling through the inside of the mushroom, eating as they go. When you cut it in half you may find the inside is a wriggling mass of maggots. If so, then the mushroom has become basically inedible regardless of what kind it is.

As an extremely wild guess, your mushroom sounds like an Agaricus. That genus includes both poisonous and edible species, but no active ones.

Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification