Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Isn't religion wierd?
    #3068078 - 08/30/04 05:41 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I find it interesting how organized religions are set up. Someone or some group of people get together and write down a bunch of beliefs which everyone must follow, and people do just that. If you question or deny any one doctrine of the religion, then you are a heretic and are to be looked down upon(or worse). Occasionally, some heretic will gather enough of a following that they break off and form their own sect, with its own set of dogmas which must all be followed, or else you will be a heretic. I guess thinking for yourself must be the highest of sins.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinen0xious
SPUN
Male User Gallery

Loc: London
Re: Isn't religion wierd? [Re: silversoul7]
    #3068109 - 08/30/04 06:08 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

this is true for christianity. but the thing about religion is its optional, at least its supposed to be. "everyone must follow, " if people dont like it they dont have to follow it.

--------------------
Its only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.

You got the gun, I got a plant. Who's the criminal?

OfflineIamHungry
Stranger
    #3068125 - 08/30/04 06:12 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i dont know that they write down their beliefs, necessarily. it seems more like they write down their reactions to certain events and if you feel the same way you can "join" that religion. youre right about that heresy stuff, though, but thats just human nature. people will always fear that which they do not know.

Invisibleninjapixie
 User Gallery

Re: Isn't religion wierd? [Re: n0xious]
    #3068126 - 08/30/04 06:12 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

If you want to get the reward they are promising then you have to follow it.

--------------------
Put that monkey back in the oven.

InvisibleClean
the lense
Male User Gallery

#3068137 - 08/30/04 06:20 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

the catholic church serves as a massive mind control mechanism. it shelters people from truth, it closes the mind. any doctrine that claims to be the most high is indeed a pile of stinky bull poop.
yes it is quite interesting how religions are set up, but i think more focus should be put on just who it was that set them up and why.

Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

#3068614 - 08/30/04 10:28 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
I find it interesting how organized religions are set up. Someone or some group of people get together and write down a bunch of beliefs which everyone must follow, and people do just that. If you question or deny any one doctrine of the religion, then you are a heretic and are to be looked down upon(or worse). Occasionally, some heretic will gather enough of a following that they break off and form their own sect, with its own set of dogmas which must all be followed, or else you will be a heretic. I guess thinking for yourself must be the highest of sins.

That is more of a truth for what we call the western religions. Look at, for instance, hinduism. That is one of the most flexible religions I know. I mean, they can incorporate anything from any other religion if they want to. Also, most eastern religions don't have a written doctrine.

NOTE: western and eastern as in attitude not location.

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #3068794 - 08/30/04 11:19 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

'Force' is not and has not been a good teacher, anyways. It's something to defend with or keep distraction(separation) with.
Defence and distraction are the powers of fear and hate.
Now think for yourselves !

I only follow the 'writings in my soul'.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #3068840 - 08/30/04 11:29 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

its like a bunch of fucking children arguing on the playground:

tom: my daddy could kick your daddy's BUTT!
tim: nuh-uh!! my daddy could kick YOUR daddy's butt! HA!
jim: oh yeah? MY daddy could kick BOTH of your daddys' BOOTIES!! ZING!
Ms Field: ok kids shut the fuck up recess is over get back inside
tom: oh no its the alien!!

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineSource
Remainder of anUnbalancedEquation
Male

Loc: Outer Darkness
    #3069153 - 08/30/04 12:43 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I think it was Richard Dawkins who proposed the idea of 'Memes'. IMO this does a pretty good job of explaining how ideas and world views propagate through human minds. Just as genes which produce an organism that produces many living offspring that also reproduce will grow in population on the earth, so too memes (ideas) that stick in the mind and propagate ('go into the world and spread the gosple') themselves will spread through the noosphere.

Biological/genetic evolution is pretty much over as far as humans are concerened. Now it is the Memes which are evolving and fighting for dominance in the minds of men.

We have awoken from the nightmare of genetic evolution, now we must awaken from the nightmare of memetic evolution (i.e. politics, beliefs, religion, philosophy, etc.)

--------------------
What you're searching for is what's searching.

Edited by Source (08/30/04 12:47 PM)

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: Isn't religion wierd? [Re: Source]
    #3069162 - 08/30/04 12:48 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Umm....I dont think its intellectual to group all worldly religions together, and say "Isnt this the weird thing about them...." and make a broad generalization that doesnt even apply to have of them.

I don't think christianity is so much brainwashing people. It is more about instilling a sense of God in them, putting them on the correct path in life, and instilling morals in them as well.

Now, by all means I see most christian churches as a failure. This is based on experience.

The religion itself is not a failure. It is what the people have done with it.

Jesus Christ's teachings were to achieve god-realization, just like the teachings of Yoga. His path was authentic, real, and true. Now...christianity isnt exactly about the path he took, its just someone's spin on his teachings (mainly Paul)

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Isn't religion wierd? [Re: tekramrepus]
    #3069180 - 08/30/04 12:52 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

supermarket said:
The religion itself is not a failure. It is what the people have done with it.

:thumbup:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Isn't religion wierd? [Re: Frog]
    #3069906 - 08/30/04 03:56 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Right if everybody could drop the egos for a while I think it would be quite easy to see that all religious people (and all "spiritual" people, if there's a difference?) are seeking the same kind of answers in different ways.

What pisses me off is when powerful people start saying "OK we got it figured out! THIS is how it is!"

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #3070240 - 08/30/04 05:16 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Break away denominations are often a hope for reform. From the Protestant Movement, to the Faction of Ali, the greatest hope for reform lies in these.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Isn't religion wierd? [Re: jux]
    #3070254 - 08/30/04 05:19 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

That is more of a truth for what we call the western religions. Look at, for instance, hinduism. That is one of the most flexible religions I know.

Which is why they and the Sikhs have a long history of violence towards each other.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: Isn't religion wierd? [Re: Swami]
    #3070265 - 08/30/04 05:21 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

M. Gandhi is the best example of true Hinduism.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Isn't religion wierd? [Re: Zahid]
    #3070295 - 08/30/04 05:33 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Gandhi did not consider himself a Hindu (though culturally he was), but a member of all religions. He tried to dissolve the us/them boundaries that religions erect around their group.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Isn't religion wierd? [Re: tekramrepus]
    #3070307 - 08/30/04 05:36 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The "problems" with religions are basic:

1. They alienate the rest of God's children as "not us".

2. While its members exhibit little to no signs of God-realization and rarley follow their own basic tenets, they still loudly proclaim they have "the answers".

--------------------

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: Isn't religion wierd? [Re: Swami]
    #3070324 - 08/30/04 05:42 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

That's cool. I don't know that much about Gandhi. I guess he was alot like Hazrat Khan.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#3071417 - 08/30/04 09:50 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Zahid said:
Break away denominations are often a hope for reform. From the Protestant Movement, to the Faction of Ali, the greatest hope for reform lies in these.

Or how about just thinking for yourself?

--------------------

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #3071429 - 08/30/04 09:52 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Which is what they're doing... just because one's spirituality is centered around the man Jesus, or the teachings of Mohammed doesn't mean that individual reasoning is abandoned. It's another method of apprehension; that of spirit.  :heart:

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#3071678 - 08/30/04 11:13 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Zahid said:
Which is what they're doing... just because one's spirituality is centered around the man Jesus, or the teachings of Mohammed doesn't mean that individual reasoning is abandoned. It's another method of apprehension; that of spirit.  :heart:

You're not getting it, man.  If you truly thought for yourself, you wouldn't need to conform your beliefs to any one sect or denomination.  There are quite a few Christians and Muslims who think for themselves(though sadly not nearly enough).  Markos is a great example of what I'm talking about.  He's a Christian, yet also follows aspects of Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.  He's not bound by any one ideology, and cannot be pigeon-holed into one denomination.  Following a particular church or sect is essentially forfeiting one's capacity for independent thought.

--------------------

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #3072138 - 08/31/04 01:21 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Quote:

Zahid said:

You're not getting it, man.  If you truly thought for yourself, you wouldn't need to conform your beliefs to any one sect or denomination.  There are quite a few Christians and Muslims who think for themselves(though sadly not nearly enough).  Markos is a great example of what I'm talking about.  He's a Christian, yet also follows aspects of Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.  He's not bound by any one ideology, and cannot be pigeon-holed into one denomination.  Following a particular church or sect is essentially forfeiting one's capacity for independent thought.

No - you misunderstood me. I am talking about basic reform in religious ideas; i.e., moving away from the literalism of the past. Like Irshad Manji's The Trouble with Islam or Rev. John Shelby Spong's Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism. Markos, like any mystic, is able to incorporate the teachings of other faiths because all religions are elaborate 'records' of the God experience; but much of his God experience revolves around the Christ man - the Spirit of God. For me, the Holy Qur'an captures that spiritual focus - but ends there for me, with my unique union with the Recitation.

I do not dismiss other faiths, as your post suggests. I consider all religions ideas that pertain to the same experience - the God experience. My school of thought resembles much of what the Pir-o-Murshid Khan taught, that every man is his own religion - a spiritual struggle (jihad) of an individual to become individuated by overcoming the false ego. 'Love is a furnace, and ego its fuel.' I certainly have never disregarded Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhism and other fine faiths that have different methods of understanding the One Divine. There are gnostics (knowers) in every faith, Markos happens to be a Christian gnostic. You've greatly misunderstood my intentions, because like Markos, one's gnosis is what allowed me to witness the process of the individuated self; self realization, self awakening to the God spark within. The only belief I testify to is the invisible Love.  :heart:

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #3073627 - 08/31/04 12:16 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

:a never understood, how religions, who obviously praise the same g*d, as christians, jews and muslims can become so hostiled for each other... (see 'father Abraham')
that makes it very obvious for me, that humans have tainted these believes.
If the members of one family will kill each others, how is it to hope for all religions to finally come together, because they all have the same, or very similar intentions ?

At first, unite the family again !

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies