Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Reality being a simulation
    #3064160 - 08/29/04 01:13 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I thought of this crazy shit... don't go psychotic over it.

But what if our existence, the universe, and everything were a simulation? We wouldn't know, and everything around us that we perceive would seem "real" because that is all included in the simulation. All the while, the actual "matter" of our existence is really data being crunched by, lets say, a big computer.

I can't think of anything that would make this impossible. I mean, if a computer were to simulate everything down to the fundamental qualities of matter, then every aspect of life in all its complexities would be properly simulated.

And beings in that simulation would only have the awareness of their simulated surroundings. I guess you could say, you wouldn't know because it is an isolated system.

Edited by poke smot! (09/07/20 01:50 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Reality being a simulation [Re: poke smot!]
    #3064170 - 08/29/04 01:17 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
Re: Reality being a simulation [Re: ekomstop]
    #3064409 - 08/29/04 04:11 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I have been entertaining this though long before i ever saw the matrix or read any of the papers on the multi verse. Of course i never actually thought that it could be true even in my wildest dreams. I still don't.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

InvisibleFecalDildo
Fat LadiesBingo.
 User Gallery
Loc: Ass Flavour Pie Factory.
    #3064421 - 08/29/04 04:29 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

in order for your hypothesis to be considered you have to answer the question, can mechanical or artificial intellegence think? This super-computer must have been the creation of a civilisation that harnessed the ability of artificial intelligence. You also have to consider the question of motive. For what reason would a civilisation want to simulate another civilisation. There is much in this world that is and will always remain unexplained but its thinkers like yourself who ask questions and come up with theories like yours the keep the pulse of human cerebral evolution pumping.. congratulations mr.thinker

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#3064474 - 08/29/04 06:09 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

what if we are each in our own simulation
marginally consensual by a kind of feedback.

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Reality being a simulation [Re: FecalDildo]
    #3064715 - 08/29/04 10:25 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Emmett said:
in order for your hypothesis to be considered you have to answer the question, can mechanical or artificial intellegence think? This super-computer must have been the creation of a civilisation that harnessed the ability of artificial intelligence. You also have to consider the question of motive. For what reason would a civilisation want to simulate another civilisation. There is much in this world that is and will always remain unexplained but its thinkers like yourself who ask questions and come up with theories like yours the keep the pulse of human cerebral evolution pumping.. congratulations mr.thinker

I think the universal 'super-computer' you refer to might be more an extensive hyper-organic entity made of consciousness, not particularly 'computer hardware' at all in the sense that we know it. It's primary mode of existence probably being somewhere along the lines of evolution, I guess we're just along for the ride.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #3064964 - 08/29/04 11:50 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I've thought about this before as well..

Perhaps WE are "AI" beings in a programmed world

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #3065073 - 08/29/04 12:43 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

This one here is real.
Even if this reality is a simulation, it feeds some purpose in some higher dimensions. This purpose obviously could not be recieved without our limited window of existance in this material reality.
Think of an 'arena'. We are just the gladiators, and what we will recieve we will see after the game is over.
Even leaving the simulation/arena/system won't bring anything forward for anybody.
We have to take the challenge (against ourselfs).

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Reality being a simulation *DELETED* [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #3065113 - 08/29/04 12:58 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
Re: Reality being a simulation [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #3065116 - 08/29/04 12:59 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

To the you the truth all this sound a little like the work of a few disillusioned scientist, who upon discovering the limits of their minds sought a final solution. Instead of the classic GOD theory they chose a more scientific explanation.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #3065617 - 08/29/04 03:16 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Why ? To convince us (who are them), to decide on our(their) free will (which is, for us, simulated :wink: )to reunite with them(us), to their(our) laws of singular eternity ?

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #3065855 - 08/29/04 04:34 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Watch the movie The Matrix...it's an old idea.

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Reality being a simulation *DELETED* [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3066083 - 08/29/04 05:45 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #3066125 - 08/29/04 05:58 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

"But what if we had quantum computers?"

What if we ARE biochemical quantum computers?

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlineendokrin
Stranger

Loc: SouthEast
Re: Reality being a simulation [Re: Strumpling]
    #3066206 - 08/29/04 06:17 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ekomstop said:
clicky

Hey to quote a sentance from this article: "Isn't it amazing that scientists have finally had to admit that the design of the universe is so perfectly crafted so as to indicate intelligent design and yet they still try to avoid any explanation which includes the word God."

There's something called the Weak/Strong Anthropic Principle. To partially quote from Stephen Hawking's book A Brief History of Time:

There are two versions of the anthropic principle, the weak and the strong. The weak anthropic principle states that in a universe that is large or infinite in space and/or time, the conditions necessary for the development of intelligent life will be met only in certain regions that are limited in space and time.

The strong anthropic principle goes on to state basically the same, except instead of certain regions of a universe meeting the criteria for life, there are multiple universes, each with its own set of laws of physics, etc. Only those universes with conditions suitable for the formation of life will produce life. This life may evolve to be able to pose the question who/what genius was capable of interweaving so many values and laws to allow life to form?

Obviously, only those areas with the right conditions for life will have life capable of realising how fragile the balance of gravity, strong and weak forces, the electromagnetic force, etc. are.

If there is a universe where gravity or some other force is different than ours, life may not be capable of existing, and no being there would exist to know the difference.

"Why is the universe the way it is? If it had been different, we would not be here."

This seems like common sense, not the work of theoretical physics... but perhaps we are all looking too deeply. Maybe all that separates us from an ant or a tree or an elephant is the fact our brains are more developed and can ask such questions like "Who are we?" and "Why are we here?" If this is the case, it seems to be a curse, this 'higher level of thinking'. Ahh, the ignorant bliss it must be to be an elephant, constantly grazing on the grass in some far-off field in Africa. It makes for a lonely existence, this ability of ours to see beyond our day to day toils.

In my opinion, The Matrix expresses all of these ideas very well. Perhaps the idea we are a fuel supply for machines is far-fetched or does not cling precisely to the theories and opinions stated thus far in this thread, but I believe the main ideas behind that movie came from the same place in the Wachowski brothers' minds that ALL of these questions of ours come from.

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Reality being a simulation *DELETED* [Re: endokrin]
    #3066239 - 08/29/04 06:37 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #3066426 - 08/29/04 07:27 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

...within each cell of your body

--------------------

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: Reality being a simulation [Re: deff]
    #3080985 - 09/02/04 01:37 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

very funny idea.

now, i take absolutely no credit for this idea, nor do i believe in it any, nor do i believe that this is correct information

but...

once while out of body something told me that the human existence is a sort of tool for uncomphrehensibly larger beings to interact. i was shown a computer file unzipping and then opening and was told that is analogus to this reality. i woke up crying.

SMILES!

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

OfflineLifeIsSweet
Stranger
Re: Reality being a simulation [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4881983 - 11/01/05 10:23 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

"marginally consensual by a kind of feedback."

go on

InvisibleFreedomFight
Strange

Re: Reality being a simulation [Re: LifeIsSweet]
    #4882276 - 11/02/05 12:01 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Elephants have been shown to be very intelligent and they even practice funeral rituals. (Animal Planet FTW)

--------------------
I do not grow anything illegal.
I do not sell anything.
I am, however, a very curious individual.
I also try to be helpful.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order