Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
The Power of Positive Thinking
    #3064693 - 08/29/04 10:13 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

prefight

Announcer: Flash, how are you going to do tonight?

Flash (Boxing Champion): I am going to knock the bum out in the fourth round!

Announcer: And you Hector, how do you feel about your chances in the fight?

Hector (Boxing Challenger): Well, I trained hard, but Flash is tough and experienced. We shall have to wait and see.

post fight

Announcer: Well Hector, how do you feel with your decisive victory over the champ?

Hector: He fought well, but seemed to tire in the later rounds. My fitness training really paid off.

Announcer: When did you know you could take him?

Hector: When the judges scored in my favor.

Announcer: Well I hope you sound a little more confident in your next bout.

Carl Sagan: (two weeks before his death) "I know that I am going to beat this cancer."

My Uncle: (with a brain tumor) "Well, this Christmas will probably be my last." (He lived another 10 years.)

I understand goal setting and perserverance, but believe that only actions, discipline and preparation, not verbalizing affirmations and positive thinking, affect the outcome.

Please note that I feel that confidence and positive thinking are not the same. Confidence means that I will act near, or at, the best of my ability regardless of outcome; positive thinking means that I believe things will turn out rosy.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Re: The Power of Positive Thinking [Re: Swami]
    #3064719 - 08/29/04 10:26 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Positive confidence = positive thinking/affirmation. What do people with confidence problems suffer? Negative thought patterns. "You reap what you sow."

The quality of my life has certainly improved, due to a positive shift in thought.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #3064727 - 08/29/04 10:33 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

not verbalizing affirmations and positive thinking, affect the outcome.

Hmm.. Let me ask you this:
Do you think that indulging in neurotically negative thinking and habitually self-deprecating one's self via verbal abuse and all sorts of other emotionally immature verbal affirmations and self-destructive thinking, has ZERO effect on 'the outcome'?

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: The Power of Positive Thinking [Re: psyka]
    #3064738 - 08/29/04 10:38 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The quality of my life has certainly improved, due to a positive shift in thought.

I would wager it was the positive action that changed your life.

Who do you believe will win more money in Las Vegas in a fixed odds game?

a. A positive thinker

b. A negative or neutral thinker

c. Makes absolutely no difference.

Who do you believe is more likely to survive in a combat zone?

a. A positive thinker

b. A negative or neutral thinker

c. Chances are the same.

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #3064747 - 08/29/04 10:41 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Some would say simply saying the words of an affirmation is not enough. There has to be a deeper belief of which the affirmation itself is merely a representation, a beleif or gnosis that goes beyond words.

The two examples you have provided dont really prove anything do they? The boxer may have in reality been feeling totally unconfident so his affirmation was not actually connected with any underlying belief. The same could easily apply to Sagan. However, there could be people who have said similar things and actually had a true and powerful belief in their words, perhaps these people may have manifested their beliefs through affirmation...maybe.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

User Gallery

#3064760 - 08/29/04 10:45 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Please note that I feel that confidence and positive thinking are not the same.

Confidence is contingent upon positive thinking.

How many people with poor self esteem and poor positive thinking-habits do you know that truly radiate genuine confidence?

You're right, it is the actions that actually CREATE the measurable and observable difference in life.. but that certainly does not mean that positive thinking has no place or effect in this proccess. Positive thinking is where it all starts and is the fundamental root of the flower named Confidence. Capisce?

--------------------

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#3064820 - 08/29/04 11:06 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

A simple shift in perception can change ones actions dramatically.

Obviously, personal affirmations have no direct affect on realtime luck scenario's. What can they change? Quite a bit. Look what placebo's can do and tell me positive thoughts are not powerful.

The majority of us do not have direct access to our subconcious mind, as it is the place where expirences/memorys are stored (this is where the misinformed "we only use 10% of our brain" statement came from). However, the subconscious directly affects our thoughts and therefore directly affects our actions. Much erroneous behavior has resulted from negative thought patterns.

I'd be willing to wager that a man of a logical sound mind and a positive train of thought would not be in Vegas gambling on a game with "fixed odds." Unless of course he was rich enough to afford to.

I also see you get frustrated when people avoid answering your questions. So to appease this I'll choose C in both of those scenario's, because DUH! From those limited parameters, which obviously do not emulate reality at all, C would be the most correct answer.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind

Edited by psyka (08/29/04 11:15 AM)

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #3064840 - 08/29/04 11:11 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

yoiu've got my support on this one, pal.

self-doubt is underrated, IMO

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Re: The Power of Positive Thinking [Re: DoctorJ]
    #3064861 - 08/29/04 11:17 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Theres a difference between remaining humble and doubting yourself. Whats the use of doubting yourself or are you being sarcastic?

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: The Power of Positive Thinking [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #3065530 - 08/29/04 02:52 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Confidence is contingent upon positive thinking.

I contend that it is not. One time I played a racquetball state champion and was certain that I would lose (I study and train diligently, but am not naturally gifted and was well past "my prime"), but confident that I would play damned hard. I won. No correlation in this singular example.

I could be in a situation where I am near-certain of my demise and take serious action anyway.

Realistic thinking is not the opposite of negative thinking. Much positive thinking is denial of current reality.

Parents of Scott Peterson, "We are positive our son had nothing to do with Lacy's disappearance." They may truly believe that and yet it may have no bearing on reality.

--------------------

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
    #3065647 - 08/29/04 03:25 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I would wager it was the positive action that changed your life.

Yes, the action of thinking more positive. Why make it more difficult to think about than it already is? As long as he's happy, thats all that matters. All there is now, is just picking it apart. Whats the use of debating something that already is. And what is, is that this person is happier. Thats all that matters.

Positive thaught is connected to positive action, and vise versa. They both can feed off eachother. Its already well established that feeling, behaviour, thaught, and actions and so on are connected. Go to psychiatrist and they will tell you that it's one of the first things they learn. Cognitive therapy.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: The Power of Positive Thinking [Re: Northernsoul]
    #3065672 - 08/29/04 03:33 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Obese Person A: "I am slim, fit and beautiful! I am slim, fit and beautiful! I am slim, fit and beautiful!"

OPA does not change his diet nor exercise routine.

Obese Person B: "I am a fat, disgusting slob! I am a fat, disgusting slob! I am a fat, disgusting slob! "

OPB cuts back on calories and walks several miles per day.

Who is MORE LIKELY to transform his body? "The universe" does not respond to your words. Action is EVERYTHING.

--------------------

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

#3065706 - 08/29/04 03:42 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Obese Person A: I know I can do it, so many other people have lost weight, and so can I!

OPA: Energeticly gets up and goes for a walk.

Obese Person B: I'll never lose weight, I'll be fat forever, whats the point of walking, I'll just gain it back anyway.

OPB: Stays inside.

Who is more likely to transform his body?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3065713 - 08/29/04 03:45 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The ONE that takes action - thought I already covered that. Brain ruminations will not affect weight-loss.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #3065722 - 08/29/04 03:48 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
Obese Person A: "I am slim, fit and beautiful! I am slim, fit and beautiful! I am slim, fit and beautiful!"

OPA does not change his diet nor exercise routine.

Obese Person B: "I am a fat, disgusting slob! I am a fat, disgusting slob! I am a fat, disgusting slob! "

OPB cuts back on calories and walks several miles per day.

Who is MORE LIKELY to transform his body? "The universe" does not respond to your words. Action is EVERYTHING.

I read that book referred to me by Skorp called "What to Say When You Talk to Yourself", by Shad Helmstetter, and that's not what he means by the power of positive thinking. You can't "think" yourself to thinness. (Excellent book, btw, and easy to read and implement.)

If you talk to yourself and say "I am a disgusting fat slob," there is less likely of a chance that you will go on a diet and start exercising. If you confirm to yourself, in your mind, that you are a fat slob, you will continue to act as a fat slob would act: You would over-eat and not exercise.

But if you tell yourself that you deserve to be taken care of better than you are taking care of yourself, that you have the ability to be thin and fit, and you tell yourself that you have the self-discipline to be a better person, physically, you will most likely start eating right and working out.

Helmstetter says that the things we say in our brain are recorded in our unconscious mind, which then goes on to act out on what is recorded.

Saying, "I'm going to win the lottery today" is not the same kind of positive thinking that Helmstetter is talking about. I think that might be wishful thinking, and the odds of winning are still just as slim.

But I agree with you, Swami, that we have to put into action any positive thinking, ultimately. I can sit around and say repeatedly, "I'm going to be a successful lawyer", but if I don't work at it, I'll never attain success.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Re: The Power of Positive Thinking [Re: Frog]
    #3065743 - 08/29/04 03:56 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, and I was just saying that the positive thinking can help get into this action of getting what you think done.
I got the impression that action is the very begining of getting things done. But does anyone remember: "Think before you act?"

Thats all I'm trying to make clear.

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    #3065747 - 08/29/04 03:57 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

A box can be red and a wall can be hard. A situation, however, cannot innately be awkward or boring, nor a turn of events depressing. If you're stuck waiting in line, whereas a negative thinker might become frustrated or board, a positive thinker could instead choose to appreciate his surroundings or contemplate a thought. In this regard, I believe that positive thinking does play a major role in our lives. It is a matter of perception.

User Gallery

#3065752 - 08/29/04 04:01 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

but confident that I would play damned hard.

Ahem. Sounds a wee bit positive... Doesn't it? :wink:
You believed that you would play DAMNED hard.. which is a positive thought.. That resulted in the confidence of such projections of your future performance. [That you would play damn hard.]
And you won. Doesn't surprise me..

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3065801 - 08/29/04 04:16 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

You believed that you would play DAMNED hard.. which is a positive thought.
It is a historical reflection on past performances. If I were to get in a street-fight (never have been), my confidence of victory would be low as these skills (or lack thereof) are totally untested.

Positive thinking: flowery picture of desired end-result (forward-looking or projecting)

Confidence: awareness of discipline, training and skills (backward-looking)

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #3065811 - 08/29/04 04:19 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Maintaining a positive mental attitude is the single most important thing one can do to improve one's self. Positive thoughts precede positive actions.

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

#3065843 - 08/29/04 04:31 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
You believed that you would play DAMNED hard.. which is a positive thought.
It is a historical reflection on past performances. If I were to get in a street-fight (never have been), my confidence of victory would be low as these skills (or lack thereof) are totally untested.

Positive thinking: flowery picture of desired end-result (forward-looking or projecting)

Confidence: awareness of discipline, training and skills (backward-looking)

Like phoenix said, its all a matter of perception. Some of it is even conceptual.

Different Strokes for different folks!

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: The Power of Positive Thinking [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3065860 - 08/29/04 04:36 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
Maintaining a positive mental attitude is the single most important thing one can do to improve one's self. Positive thoughts precede positive actions.

you may be able to say that for yourself with certainty, but you cannot be certain that it works that way for everyone else.

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

#3065866 - 08/29/04 04:38 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Thats what I mean.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#3065867 - 08/29/04 04:38 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Negative thoughts leave one psychologically unprepared for success. To psyche yourself up with positive thoughts leads to more determined action. Athletes prove that positive thinking works on a daily basis. Survival expert Tom Brown write that the single most important factor in survival situations is one's attitude. As a former firefighter and EMT I agree.

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

#3065883 - 08/29/04 04:43 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
Negative thoughts leave one psychologically unprepared for success. To psyche yourself up with positive thoughts leads to more determined action. Athletes prove that positive thinking works on a daily basis. Survival expert Tom Brown write that the single most important factor in survival situations is one's attitude. As a former firefighter and EMT I agree.

Yeah, and they pay big money hiring sport psycologists to help them overcome certain thaught barriers that would affect thier actions on the feild. Running is action, and running faster could be a matter of dealing with feelings of doubt first. So they see a shrink.

Edited by Northernsoul (08/29/04 04:45 PM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3065894 - 08/29/04 04:48 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Running is action, and running faster could be a matter of dealing with feelings of doubt first. So they see a shrink.

Set a trio of dobermans after this same runner, and without a single positive thought, nor months of analysis, this athlete will set a new personal record.

--------------------

User Gallery

#3065903 - 08/29/04 04:50 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

It is a historical reflection on past performances.

Understood... the bottom line still remains; it falls under the category of not negative thinking, but positive thinking.
Thinking and reflecting on my historical events in any light that is nothing less than efficacious, is a positive train of thought.

If I were to get in a street-fight (never have been), my confidence of victory would be low as these skills (or lack thereof) are totally untested.

Sounds right. If I were in the similar situation, I would instantly become aware of my weakness, that is, the lack of substantial experience in this particular situation.. which is negative thinking. This negative thinking will lead to lack of confidence. Confidence [or lack thereof] comes AFTER the train of thought -- which arrives to the emotional-destination of C-o-N-f-I-d-E-n-C-e.

Continual events of success [such as playing the best one can and winning in racquetball competitions] leads to positive thinking [as memories of such incidents usually die-hard] which leads to a higher level of confidence.

I contend that any Confidence MUST have a relation to a positivity -- one way or another.

Confidence: awareness of discipline, training and skills

Being aware of one's discipline and training and skills... stems from positive thinking.

Let's break this down:
Being aware of discipline; what does this consist of? Reminding one's self of gaining higher strengths and truths within themselves via training. This is certainly a good (hence positive) reflection of the past. Like I say.. Memories die hard.

This is certainly a path towards confidence and a much higher increase of success.

Positive thinking is not empirically unrealistic and 'flowery'.

Round and round we go..

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#3065905 - 08/29/04 04:51 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Another way of impacting one's attitude is fear. This can be positive or negative, but personally fear has done me much good in life and it is the reason I have survived this long.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3065928 - 08/29/04 04:58 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Round and round we go..

I am positive there are a bunch of bored people here with little better to do... :smile:

Seriously, have you never "amazed yourself" (exceeded positive expectations) and at other times, fallen way short of your idealized picture? "Reality" does not conform to one's mind.

Hubby to Mrs. Jones: "Good-bye honey, don't worry about me in Iraq. I will see you by Christmas."

Army to Mrs. Jones: "We regret to inform you..."

--------------------

User Gallery

#3066031 - 08/29/04 05:25 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

We can control our own bodies and our own actions which can create results to a certain point.
So when two racquetball players are both self-adulating positive-think practicers, they are both controlling their thoughts, and, their actions which affect their outcomes.
It then becomes a matter of the difficult-to-measure and unobservable factor of the other entity/force/opponent which accounts for the variables [who will win or lose] in the outcome of the situation -- in this case, the racquetball competition.

Having confidence does not guarantee efficacious results.
This is not my contention... my contention is that having confidence AFFECTS the chances/odds of the outcome -- and that positive thinking and confidence is inextricably interlinked and related.

"Reality" does not conform to one's mind.

Reality does conform to much of one's actions -- which are controlled by the mind.
:smile:

--------------------

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#3066251 - 08/29/04 06:40 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I see what distinctions you're making and actually its pretty interesting.

Do you have an entire belief system based on forward/backward looking principles?

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #3066455 - 08/29/04 07:34 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
Round and round we go..

I am positive there are a bunch of bored people here with little better to do... :smile:

Seriously, have you never "amazed yourself" (exceeded positive expectations) and at other times, fallen way short of your idealized picture? "Reality" does not conform to one's mind.

Hubby to Mrs. Jones: "Good-bye honey, don't worry about me in Iraq. I will see you by Christmas."

I don't think people always think positively just because they think that by thinking positively, the outcome will be the way they thought about it.  Sometimes one has to think positively in order not to go crazy.

In the meantime:  Mrs. Jones cries every night, because she thinks that he may not come back.  She can't function at her job during the day, because of dwelling on the fact that he may not come back. 

Now, if Mrs. Jones stays positive, and thinks that he will be coming back, even if he dies, at least she saved herself a lot of worry. And whether he lives or dies, all that worrying doesn't produce any positive outcome.  Whether he lives or dies, worrying is futile.  But staying positive can help one focused on the things they need to be doing.

Quote:

I am positive there are a bunch of bored people here with little better to do...

I have better things to do.  I'm thinking about doing them. Honestly.  I wish you guys would stop distracting me.  :grin:

I am the master of procrastination.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #3066458 - 08/29/04 07:35 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

"Much positive thinking is denial of current reality."

I contend that it isn't.

is it because reality doesn't give you what you want half the time?

should we not stay in a positive frame of mind when "something doesn't go our way?"

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#3068171 - 08/30/04 06:58 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Why do you hand pick the posts you choose to respond to Swami?

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisibleninjapixie
 User Gallery

#3068208 - 08/30/04 07:11 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Positive thinking is essential if one is to achieve ones full potential. You have to believe you can do it first. All the best athletes, salesmen etc live by positive thinking. Don't believe me? Ask one. They're trained that way.

'Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right' Henry Ford

'Set a trio of dobermans after this same runner, and without a single positive thought, nor months of analysis, this athlete will set a new personal record.'

A positive thinker will believe he is capable of running away from them while running and would not give up. It's a positive thought that keeps them going. A negative thinker would run a bit, think 'there's no way I'm out-running these dogs' and gives up.

--------------------
Put that monkey back in the oven.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #3068220 - 08/30/04 07:16 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I think this post is confusing positive thinking with wishful thinking. The difference being that wishful thinking is just believing that things will turn out for the best, even if the evidence indicates otherwise, while positive thinking means seeing the good side in things and motivating yourself to do what you can. If Carl Sagan was thinking positively rather than just wishfully, he would say, "I will hold on to the will to survive, but if I die, I will accept my fate and go peacefully."

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: The Power of Positive Thinking [Re: silversoul7]
    #3068228 - 08/30/04 07:19 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

So you are excluding the idea that thought can have some, as yet unexplained, influence on material reality?

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: The Power of Positive Thinking [Re: GazzBut]
    #3068247 - 08/30/04 07:32 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

GazzBut said:
So you are excluding the idea that thought can have some, as yet unexplained, influence on material reality?

I don't dismiss the idea entirely. I just prefer to go by what is known rather than speculate about what might be.

--------------------

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #3068446 - 08/30/04 09:29 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I understand goal setting and perserverance, but believe that only actions, discipline and preparation, not verbalizing affirmations and positive thinking, affect the outcome.

I think this is simplistic. :tongue:

The magnitude of a person's motivation is often, at least partially, a function of their mental state. It's not uncommon for someone to become motivated into action as a byproduct of irrational behaviors such as these verbalized affirmations and positive thinking or even religious rituals -- praying, church and all the rest.

So, while not  directly influencing the outcome of a situation, these behaviors can, and often do, cause a positive bias on a person's life, IMHO.

Edited by Diploid (08/30/04 10:46 AM)

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#3068641 - 08/30/04 10:35 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

hmm..well whats currently "known" and "unknown" about any psi type capabilities is highly debatable but setting that aside surely speculation is the key to any advancements we may make?

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: The Power of Positive Thinking [Re: GazzBut]
    #3068717 - 08/30/04 10:54 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

GazzBut said:
hmm..well whats currently "known" and "unknown" about any psi type capabilities is highly debatable but setting that aside surely speculation is the key to any advancements we may make?

Certainly for research purposes, yes, but in day to day life, it is generally more productive to stick to what is known.

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #3068814 - 08/30/04 11:23 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

swami I think you are confusing ignorance with positive thinking...

in my opinion positive thinking is something like this:

boxer: well I think I can win but you never know man this guy's really good.. i'm going to do my best though and I hope to take 'im down

whereas ignorance would be more like:

boxer: yeah this fucker's goin down dude - no question about it

there's always a question about anything :wink: as long as you acknowledge that your positive thinking is just that, - positive thinking - I think it is perfectly healthy.

I plan to think positively, but I understand that negativity exists.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

#3070437 - 08/30/04 06:16 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
Running is action, and running faster could be a matter of dealing with feelings of doubt first. So they see a shrink.

Set a trio of dobermans after this same runner, and without a single positive thought, nor months of analysis, this athlete will set a new personal record.

Yes, because there would be fear, and fear is an emotion, a thaught. It doesnt have to be a positive thaught, negative thaughts precede action as well. And you can go even further by including what provokes this fear response: Certain neuro Chemicals being processed within the hippocumpus region of the brain along with hormones, adrenal glands being activated and so on, triggering his heart-rate to go way up, sweating, muscels tense up, blood pressure goes up, PLUS the psycological aspect (Thaughts being processed, etc) and ultimately: "I gotta get the fuck outta here!"

THEN! The guy runs faster. All of this happens in a split second, but it isnt all just pure (physical external, walking and talking action, alot of thaught and processes are happening first. And if the biochemical action in his brain counts as this action your talking about as well, then that I'll agree with.
Because if these certain neuro chemical changes werent occuring, then the thaughts wouldnt happen in the first place. The thing is, heart rate, what chemicals are doing and so on, cannot be controled all the time. Action cannot always be controled.

So I'll meet you half way to say that in order to have thaught, the neurochemical changes that occure cannot happen without movement (action) in order to have a thaught or feeling which in turn equal further physical action (voluntary or not).

Edited by Northernsoul (08/30/04 06:25 PM)

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
    #3080967 - 09/02/04 01:28 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

sometimes i heart swami.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
Re: The Power of Positive Thinking [Re: truekimbo2]
    #3084114 - 09/02/04 06:12 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

positive thinking is alot of how you say it and how you reinforce the affirmation. it has to be in the now. no i am going to or i will. reinforce your affirmations by visualization as if it is happening now. and take a step further and ask yourself are you prepared to take the steps to make this affirmation come true.
affirm
visual
action

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order