Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefreakpower
IntrepidTraveler
Liquid Mycellium Questions
    #3064646 - 08/29/04 11:54 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Has two small questions about liquid mycellium cultivation. I remember reading a while back about using dextrose solution to grow out mycellium for syringes. I would like to know an approximate ratio to use for the solution and whether or not I should put in a hole with polyfill to allow for exchange or not. I will be using 1/2 pt. jars.

Also, regarding doing the same thing with honey, can I just use the regular honey from the grocery store or do I need to seek out something that specifically states it does not contain any fungicide?

Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Liquid Mycellium Questions [Re: freakpower]
    #3064668 - 08/29/04 12:05 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

honey wont contain any fungicides, Light Kayro corn syrup also works quite well.

Invisibleretread
-=HasH=-
    #3064673 - 08/29/04 12:05 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

freakpower said:
Has two small questions about liquid mycellium cultivation. I remember reading a while back about using dextrose solution to grow out mycellium for syringes. I would like to know an approximate ratio to use for the solution and whether or not I should put in a hole with polyfill to allow for exchange or not. I will be using 1/2 pt. jars.

Ideally 1:5 - 1:10 dextrose:water. If you are using 100mL of water, a tablespoon of dextrose is OK. Polyfil isn't really required, I'd recommend using a plastic lid sealed tight with a hole drilled through the top in the center. Clean your jars and lids with bleach, then put them through a dishwasher cycle. Boil some water on your stove in a tea kettle. Put 1 tablespoon of Karo syrup (the clear one is what I'd recommend) into each jar, then pour in the boiling water. If you place a stirring rod (or a spoon) in the teakettle while the water boils, it will be sterile and you can use that to stir the dextrose into the water. It will appear cloudy until it's been stirred, then it will be clear again. Put the lid on immediately and cover with aluminum foil. Let this cool off in a rubbermaid container that you've sterilized with bleach water. When it's cool, put a drop or two of spore solution in there, and incubate! The odds are good that you'll have to take the lid of the jar off to get the big gobs of mycelia, so make an improvised glove box for that.
Quote:

Also, regarding doing the same thing with honey, can I just use the regular honey from the grocery store or do I need to seek out something that specifically states it does not contain any fungicide?

Regular honey is fine, I think that Karo syrup is a little bit cheaper oz for oz, and it works great.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3064676 - 08/29/04 12:08 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

You'll need air exchange, I prefer a disk but polyfil will work.

Use organic honey is all I've seen but I havn't done honeywater so maybe you'll get a better answer about this. You'll probably want a lighter colored one too so you can see the myc grow.

A ratio, I would assume is similar to karo water which is what I use and for 100ml of water you put in 1-2 teaspoons of karo (or whatever sugary thing you use). A teaspoon is about 15 ml. Good luck

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Liquid Mycellium Questions [Re: retread]
    #3065043 - 08/29/04 02:33 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Shaking prevents globular myc BTW I'm not sure exactly what your talking about but the dude is going to want to extract the liquid innoc. with a syringe for redistribution, If not then a number of other teks would suit him much better. BTW you only need gas exchange (simply lift the tape up for a second (burp it) no FAE is needed with liquid innoc. and shaking aerates the Karo/water. GL guys and Welcome freakpower

Offlinefreakpower
IntrepidTraveler
Re: Liquid Mycellium Questions [Re: hyphae]
    #3065222 - 08/29/04 03:21 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for everyones responses.

Is there any reason not to just mix and pressure cook these solutions (karo, honey, dextrose). I remember that PCing the honey could cause carmelization, so would just mixing the honey w\ boiling water be sufficient sterile technique? Also, I do not have quick access to the filter disks they sell (or do you make your own?) and will be using polyfill. I guess my concern is that the polyfill will get wet when shaking the jar and become a wick for contaminants, is this an issue?? Thanks in advance.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3065320 - 08/29/04 03:40 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I make my own, Tyvek envelopes from the post office (I ordered mine ofline, free and free delivery). Polyfil doesnt soak up water like cotton though I dont think but it may become a little wet. From what hyphae is saying though no poly fil or disk should be needed and just a peice of tape.

How often should it be shaken and how often should tape be lifted off.

And also I just asked this question and was told 15 minutes at 15 PSI is fine for sterilization. I guess its a fine line between carmalization and good water. I just carmalized some myself :smile: Well good luck with it.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibleretread
-=HasH=-
Re: Liquid Mycellium Questions [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3065654 - 08/29/04 05:27 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Simply pouring boiling water over the karo will sterilize the media. I've always done it that way, it seems to be the easiest. I tried pressure cooking, boiling the karo/water in a microwave, etc, and simply pouring boiling water over the Karo has turned out to be the easiest method for me.

Offlinephucknut68
Focker
Loc: shit mang
Re: Liquid Mycellium Questions [Re: retread]
    #3065704 - 08/29/04 05:42 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

what will happen if you dont have holes in the lids? I have 2 karo jars growing right now and there are no holes in the lid and they have been doing just fine... I'm not sure if its worth getting contams.

Also, put glass or something in there because I have a hell of a time getting the solution in a syringe... I am going to pc some broken glass tonight and add to my karo jar so as to break up the mycelium. Otherwise it just clogs the damn syringe.

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-|:---- Doctor Of Journalism -----:|-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-|:---- S M C -----:|-=-=-=-=-

Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Going Nowhere Fast
Re: Liquid Mycellium Questions [Re: phucknut68]
    #3065735 - 08/29/04 05:53 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

you can use the syringe to shred the snotball . just keep filling and emptying the syringe into the karo jar until it becomes very clowdy.

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

Diploid: I think adults have a right to make stupid decisions and it's nobody else's fucking business.

Edited by IAmTheSickness (08/29/04 06:21 PM)

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Liquid Mycellium Questions [Re: phucknut68]
    #3065755 - 08/29/04 06:03 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Any dextrose solution can carmelize FYI and it is a very fine line. 15min.@15lbs should work fine.
Boiling does not kill all contams FACT! It is better than doing nothing at all though.
If you don't have holes it will still work just take off the band and lift the cover slightly extracting what ya need. Remember next time (hole)!
Light Karo works great and makes for nice viewing IMO!

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Liquid Mycellium Questions [Re: mycopsycho]
    #3065764 - 08/29/04 06:07 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mycopsycho said:
you can use the syringe to shred the snotball ball. just keep filling and emptying the syringe into the karo jar until it becomes very clowdy.

Works very well indeed! :thumbup:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation