Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
what pot can do for you
    #3063145 - 08/28/04 09:12 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

well, pot can cook my macaroni and cheese... and hold my spaghetti...and be used as a formidable weapon in the case of a burglary.

SkorpivoMusterion says:
Think about the following statement and tell me if you can contradict it in anyway or if you think it is deeply true as it is:

SkorpivoMusterion says:
"Nothing real compels you to think useless thoughts."

kaiowas says:
that's a good statement but I would have to think about it a little more in order to say it is deeply true, but I agree with the intent behind it 

SkorpivoMusterion says:
Agreed as well.

kaiowas says:
one of the blocks I still need to get over is language, the definition of words because that's a statement which uses certain words if you know what I'm getting at

SkorpivoMusterion says:
Are you alluding to semantics?

kaiowas says:
yes, it is important to find out the reason for semantics do you think other languages (especially the OLDER ones)  ever had a problem with semantics, ie is it inherently rooted in english?

SkorpivoMusterion says:
Hmmm.... Well, Greece is a very ancient language. so let's use that as an example. First, let me say that I think it's not necessarilly the age of the language which creates semanticism, but moreso the age and progession of the people/culture/societies using the language

Trends and Times come and go and change. so many english words have changed, perhaps 'evolved' is a better word. Not because of the age of the language but because of the growth and progression/change of the society/people using it

SkorpivoMusterion says
so I think it is fairly reasonable to assume the same occurs in any other society of the world.

kaiowas says:
sure trends and time come and go, meaning as we advance as a society, we still use ancient words.  but didn't the older languages (say like Chinese for instance) uses pictures instead of words as to not to confuse. there are many definitions of love for example

SkorpivoMusterion says:
mhmm

kaiowas says:
didn't the ancient languages account for that? like you said in greek or in hebrew how many ways can you say love?

SkorpivoMusterion says:
Well, I don't know.

kaiowas says:
have to research this out maybe cause we get confused a lot when using words such as "real" and "useless" as in your question

SkorpivoMusterion says:
But I admit it's hard for me to imagine that the amount of semantics is vastly different in Greek from English.

SkorpivoMusterion says:
You mentioned that the older languages used pictures and other such written codes of language. That may have had its advantages that you speak of, but fast forward to the present. Most, if not all languages are all in some alphanumerical code, even Chinese and Japanese, just differently
My point is..

kaiowas says:
and damnit I knew I had a point!!  :wink:

SkorpivoMusterion says:
The more advanced and progressive a society gets the more complex and sophisticated they become, which will definitely effect and change with the language as well. So the language also becomes more complex and sophisticated leading to semantics. Back all the way to the primitive times I'm absolutely SURE that there were FAR less semantic confusions just direct and instinctual communication.

kaiowas says:
shouldn't we as a poeople advance language then

SkorpivoMusterion says:
that's basically what I have been saying. The language HAS become advanced and more complex. More and more words have been created, along with multiple meanings and such for more words. More intricacies of communication. It would be sort've bizzare, even silly, to literally think that we haven't done anything of the sort. =)

kaiowas says:
so you consider english an avanced language?

SkorpivoMusterion says:
In comparison to..?

kaiowas says:
the ones before it like latin

SkorpivoMusterion says:
English and many others IS an advanced branch OF latin.

kaiowas says:
english sometimes sounds dumbed down  though I guess it's just me

SkorpivoMusterion says:
I can almost say that English IS advanced Latin because almost ALL  words are so deeply rooted and tied into latin/greek.

kaiowas says:
if english is a more advanced language, then why do meanings get lossed a lot when trying to understand a more ancient language?  is it just because of the effects of translation, or is it because it can communicate certaint ideas/images, that english can't

SkorpivoMusterion says:
Well, I think only an Etymologist would truly be able to tell you the real answer or maybe a linguist.

kaiowas says:
damn!

SkorpivoMusterion says:
But, I think no matter what, the effect of misinterpretation thru mistranslating is always a factor.

kaiowas says:
so all this leads to one question what is a useless thought? See now we can play the semantic game

SkorpivoMusterion says:
useless thought...a thought that serves no usefullness?

kaiowas says:
wouldn't that be a subjective term?

SkorpivoMusterion says:
Hmm....most likely.

kaiowas says:
like I said I agree with the intent, don't get me wrong

SkorpivoMusterion says:
But those who read the quote are free to take it in subjectively as everyone else WILL. And, I suppose that's all that really matters.
Whatever is useless to that individual. who is to tell them otherwise?

kaiowas says:
so now then.."Nothing real compels you to think useless thoughts."

SkorpivoMusterion says:
Yes...

SkorpivoMusterion says:
Nothing REAL would be the next target of disection.

kaiowas says:
exactly, the semantic game

SkorpivoMusterion says:
Another subjectivity?

kaiowas says:
right! there's a confusion there, that english gets into a lot and yet I still get its point

SkorpivoMusterion says:
Common sense.

kaiowas says:
so maybe we are making things to complicated, or I can go in circles again and ask you what is common?

kaiowas
kekekeke

SkorpivoMusterion says:
I think it's our emotional abstract side of the brain that gets into all the semantics and confusions, etc, whereas the other logical ration and common sensical side of our brain 'gets it point' Lemme add 'creativity' to that first side of the brain.

kaiowas says:
ut how many poel get that point?

SkorpivoMusterion says:
Whoa.

SkorpivoMusterion says:
Tried to type too fast? :lol:

kaiowas says:
indeed, I'm really stoned too :lol: you said that was common sense.  the intent behind that quesiton is silence.  how many people would you think would be able to "get" that point? cause common sense  I would look at what is common

SkorpivoMusterion says:
Common sense isn't common, you mean?

kaiowas says:
:wink:

SkorpivoMusterion says:
Well, call me naive...but I think most matured people would get it.  :wink:

kaiowas says:
i would hope so  :grin:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinetnecseda
birther to none
Re: what pot can do for you [Re: kaiowas]
    #3063969 - 08/29/04 01:55 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

that was really bad misleading attraction,lol.
it took me awhle to realize what you meant by pot
i thought you were talking about pot macaronis and pot spagetti

the rest is an intresting read,maybe you should change the thread name

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: what pot can do for you [Re: tnecseda]
    #3063982 - 08/29/04 01:58 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

That was his point, about how semantics lead to confusion.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlinetnecseda
birther to none
Re: what pot can do for you [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3064011 - 08/29/04 02:08 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

yea i know,thats why it was such a good read,lol

its very well proven point

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology